Suggested Bibliography Re: "Law"

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Swan

Puritan Board Freshman
I am soliciting suggestions on books/essays/rap songs/whatever ... regarding "Law". Especially topics such as:
(1) Law vs Gospel
(2) Proper use of Law
(3) Discussions of each of the Ten Commandments

I have had good luck finding help for category 3 in various commentaries on the confessions. But what are the standard works for these topics? Where can I find especially helpful/practical discussions? What do y'all recommend?

I am soliciting suggestions on books/essays/rap songs/whatever ... regarding "Law". Especially topics such as:
(1) Law vs Gospel
(2) Proper use of Law
(3) Discussions of each of the Ten Commandments

I have had good luck finding help for category 3 in various commentaries on the confessions. But what are the standard works for these topics? Where can I find especially helpful/practical discussions? What do y'all recommend?

I don't understand your point 1. The Law and the Gospel do not fight one another.

For 2) if you mean proper use of the Law today see "Old Testament Ethics for the People of God" Christopher J. H. Wright and especially on the Mosaic civil laws "The Shadow of Christ in the Law of Moses" Vern Poythress and
For 3) a good, if idiosyncratic 20th century discussion is "The Institutes of Biblical Law" by Rousas J. Rushdoony. Joy Davidman's "Smoke on the Mountain" gives a Jewish Christian perspective. Very bracing.

Last edited:
Zondervan has a Five Views of Law and Gospel. Moo does the Lutheran approach (not a consistent Lutheran); Kaiser the evangelical; Van Gemeran the Reformed, Bahnsen the theonomic, and some dispie guy.

For a discussion on each of the Ten Commandments see James Durham The Law Unsealed: An Exposition of the Ten Commandments, which has been republished by Naphtali Press in recent years.

Its somewhat difficult to find and written dialogically but The Marrow of Modern Divinity by Edward Fisher with notes by Thomas Boston is an excellent treatment of the issues surrounding Law and Gospel. You can find it in Thomas Boston's Works. Also, for a good book on the application of the Law to Christian living you can't go wrong with Murray's, Principles of Conduct.

For a discussion on each of the Ten Commandments see James Durham The Law Unsealed: An Exposition of the Ten Commandments, which has been republished by Naphtali Press in recent years.

Links and Downloads Manager - Old Testament - The Law Unsealed: Or, A Practical Exposition of the Ten Commandments -- James Durham - The PuritanBoard

Its somewhat difficult to find and written dialogically but The Marrow of Modern Divinity by Edward Fisher with notes by Thomas Boston is an excellent treatment of the issues surrounding Law and Gospel. You can find it in Thomas Boston's Works. Also, for a good book on the application of the Law to Christian living you can't go wrong with Murray's, Principles of Conduct.

Links and Downloads Manager - Covenant Theology - The Marrow of Modern Divinity - Fisher - The PuritanBoard

Links and Downloads Manager - Theological Links - The Ten Commandments -- Thomas Watson - The PuritanBoard

Links and Downloads Manager - Theological Links - The Law of God, as Contained in the Ten Commandments Explained and Enforced -- William Plumer - The PuritanBoard

Zondervan has a Five Views of Law and Gospel. Moo does the Lutheran approach (not a consistent Lutheran); Kaiser the evangelical; Van Gemeran the Reformed, Bahnsen the theonomic, and some dispie guy.

I wish I could get a condensed version of that book. I read it, but I didn't really understand the differences between the various views and how they effected Christians in contending for their faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back