Tattoos and Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.
JOsh:

YOu quote the following:

Science or experience can never show that anything is sinful.



Why don;t you regularly drink Clorox then and encourage others to do the same?

Because you do not want to damage your temple. Science and reason show us that drinking Clorox is bad; therefore we refrain to be good stewards of our Gid given bodies. BUt wait, Scripture says nothing about Clorox. Paul says as long as you thank God for it you can eat anything, right?
 
JOsh:

YOu quote the following:

Science or experience can never show that anything is sinful.



Why don;t you regularly drink Clorox then and encourage others to do the same?

Because you do not want to damage your temple. Science and reason show us that drinking Clorox is bad; therefore we refrain to be good stewards of our Gid given bodies. BUt wait, Scripture says nothing about Clorox. Paul says as long as you thank God for it you can eat anything, right?

Non sequitur. You still haven't proven a link between "damaging/stupid" and "sinful," and there's a huge difference. As most like to do, you have ripped the verse about defiling our "temple" out of context. Paul was talking about adultery there, something not necessarily related to physical health and which is actually sinful.
 
When did I even use that verse David?

Is persistent stupidity sin? I guess that is a topic for another thread? I would say that ignoring the facts and persisting in a stupid act is sin. And that is what regular smoking (i.e. beyond a few cigs a day) is...

But doing something harmful to your body that common sense says is harmful and scientific studies back that up is a violation of the WCF and its not killing part.
 
Why is it that there are people who have been rabid smokers for years upon years upon years, and yet there lungs are as clear as can be and they're not dead or dying?

Just where are all these people who have smoked for years and have lungs as clear as can be? Also we all all dying because of sin.


William :wave:


.
 
This thread brings up a complicated problem for me:

Was I committing sin when I burned off a tattoo of an old girlfriend's name with a cigarette? It sure wasn't very pleasing to the "flesh". Actually kinda hurt, and stank purty bad, too. Next time I'm usin' an exacto knife!
 
This thread brings up a complicated problem for me:

Was I committing sin when I burned off a tattoo of an old girlfriend's name with a cigarette? It sure wasn't very pleasing to the "flesh". Actually kinda hurt, and stank purty bad, too. Next time I'm usin' an exacto knife!

Yes, that was a sin on many counts, bro. Probably at the top of the list would be aesthetics. ;)
 
Ha! JollySPectre...I just noticed your avatar! Spectres are anything but jolly!

The only thing jolly about Spectre is when you are not on the receiving end. The reason I have my weird name is combining the Jolly Green aspect of rescue helicopters, which I am doing now, and the AC-130H Spectre Gunships part that did previously. So, I have seriously thought about getting some green feet and a Spectre for a tattoo. So i am kind of interested in the details of this forum. A friend of mine showed me the verse about having a tattoo of the dead, so that is why I never got it. Plus, if I got shot down and captured, it is kind of hard to deny what I was doing on bad guy territory with the mascot right there on my body! Also, I saw that Bob removed the demon slayer tattoo, so maybe it is time to grow up.:think:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPS! I was using my wifes account....I'll fix this later.
 
Dustin, I have never had a Demon Slayer tattoo or any tattoo for that matter. I was giving a hypothetical. :D

I am still tat and piercing free and will remain that way unless a totalitarian regime puts me in a prison camp and forces me to get a tattoo. Maybe they will let me get a butterfly on my ankle.

Also, I don't smoke and I don't have to get real philosophical about it. It's a dirty, smelly habit and I don't even want to be around smokers. YUCK!!! Again, if I should catch fire I will probably smoke for a bit. As Joan of Arc said, "I'm smoking more now, but enjoying it less."
 
When did I even use that verse David?

Is persistent stupidity sin? I guess that is a topic for another thread? I would say that ignoring the facts and persisting in a stupid act is sin. And that is what regular smoking (i.e. beyond a few cigs a day) is...

But doing something harmful to your body that common sense says is harmful and scientific studies back that up is a violation of the WCF and its not killing part.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you used it directly. But you mentioned harming "the temple," which is as good as in indirect reference, in my opinion. The language of the body as a temple had to come from somewhere.

I'm not sure what I think about using scientific studies as a criterion of judging whether something is sin. They can't seem to make up their minds about the nutritional value of eggs and I won't to do know whether or not I'm sinning by eating them! ;) Seriously, scientific data changes all the time and the issue of eggs is just one blatant example.

. . . you have ripped the verse about defiling our "temple" out of context. Paul was talking about adultery there . . .



So you think a Christians body is the temple of God only when he is commiting adultery? :think:



William

.

Of course that's not what I think, William. I'm just saying it's not for you to decide what does and does not defile the Temple. Paul was talking about a SIN actually LISTED in the TEN COMMANDMENTS. I hope that anyone who thinks that smoking is a "defilement of the temple" has ceased to eat all fast food and dessert! The #1 killer in this country is heart disease, not lung cancer.
 
Last edited:
I will just comment on the cigarette question with a story from my own personal experience. Growing up we had at least one smoker in the house at all times and I do believe it affected my health negatively.
That said if a person smokes in a private area away from family, friends and co-workers who don't smoke then I would say thats their problem. Its hard to say its always a sin to have a cigar or a cigarette in every case. Even old Spurgeon had a smoke from time to time.
 
2 cents from a recent quitter :)

Hi all...

I guess this is as good a place as any to make my first post. I just wanted to share a bit about my experiences with quitting smoking, as it is very recent and it hasn't been that long since I quit... 1 week to be exact. lol

In short, its been a nightmare... I had NO idea how much control this addiction had over me. The cravings have been constant, and almost paiful. There is really no other way to describe it. There is absolutly no doubt that it I was in total bondage and slavery to this addiction. Looking back, I realize just how much I had to alter my life just to remain a smoker, and "God Forbid" avoid running out of smokes. It took planning and great care to feed my habit... especially if I was going to be any length of time in a place that did not allow smoking. Its been by answered prayer (constant prayer) and the Grace of God that I have managed this 1 week. I do believe this will be a permanent quit, because I see the Lords hand in removing my cravings... I have seen it before. I was able to give up a 300 dollar a day cocaine habit OVERNIGHT when in his Grace the Lord called me out and saved me. Cocaine was a cake walk compared to the cigarettes. Just thought I would share this in case anyone out there is considering smoking in "moderation"...

Do I believe smoking is addictive? YES Do I think it has the ability to bring you under its power? YES Do I believe its been designed like this by EVIL and INIQUITOUS corprations and sponsored by EVIL and WICKED govts for the enslavment of people? YES Do I believe smoking can be expedient or edifying? NO Do I believe Christians should partake at all in this activity? NOT A CHANCE... addiction is sin no matter which way you look at

Its very damaging to your testimony as well...

Just some thoughts from someone who has walked this painful road

:chained: <----- me as a smoker


PS I am covered in Tattoos which I had done before I was saved..... I would not, after the New Birth, get any more tattoos
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top