Textual Criticism Bibliography

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justified

Puritan Board Sophomore
Sorry to bother the board again with book requests! I was hoping that the board could give a nice list of books, articles, or even audio about textual criticism. I don't exclusively want arguments for different manuscript traditions, though I do want that too. If you would, please give a nice bibliography, along with what you regard as introductory volumes/articles.

I'm currently not committed to either manuscript tradition, so I'd like both sides to please offer book recommendations (and indicate what side your resources come from, please).

Here are some works I've consulted.

Alan F. Johnson, “A Stylistic Trait of the Fourth Gospel in the Pericope Adulterae?” in Bulletin of the Evangelical Theological Society 9, No. 2 (1966)
Bart D. Ehrman, “Jesus and the Adulteress” in New Testament Studies 34 (1988)
Bruce M. Metzger, A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament (Stuttgart: Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft, 1997)
Bruce M. Metzger, The Text of the New Testament: Its Transmission, Corruption, and Restoration, 3rd Enlarged Edition (New York: Oxford University Press, 1992)
David Alan Black, New Testament Textual Criticism: A Concise Guide (Grand Rapids: Baker Book House, 1994)
Ernest C. Colwell, Studies in Methodology in Textual Criticism of the New Testament (Leiden: E.J. Brill, 1969)
Gordon H. Clark, Logical Criticisms of Textual Criticism, 2nd ed. (Unicoi: Trinity Foundation, 1990)
J. Harold Greenlee, Introduction to New Testament Textual Criticism, Revised Edition (Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 1995)
Wilbur N. Pickering, The Identity of the New Testament Text (Nashville: Thomas Nelson, Inc., 1977)

Of those, I think David Alan Black gives the most neutral overview. Wilbur Pickering questions the current consensus on the approach to textual criticism, but the information provided in the others doesn't always seem to support the consensus approach very forcefully. Greenlee is probably the 2nd most painfully boring book I have ever read. I think Upper Cretaceous Limestone in the Lone Star State would be a positive cliffhanger in comparison. The Clark book didn't set out to accomplish much, and succeeded rather well, I thought.

I thought Scrivener's "Plain Introduction to the Criticism of the New Testament" was very helpful. He was definitely more cautious than many textual critics and in general favored the TR while still recognizing that it had places where the evidence for its readings was lacking.
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/scrivener/ntcrit1.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back