The Christian Bumper Sticker........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon Lake

Puritan Board Sophomore
I was going for a haircut earlier, and I was behind a truck with a sticker proclaiming: MY BOSS IS A JEWISH CARPENTER! Now it may just be an issue of personal taste, I am not a Bumper Sticker guy, not for politics, schools, sports teams, you name it. I keep my cards close to my vest, I have my beliefs and opinions, but a b.s. truly cannot convey all I really think, esp. in regard to the Faith. I cannot say it offends me if some wants a cross, fish or bumper sticker on their "ride" but at a certain level (while it does not "bother" me) there is something I have always felt something slightly distasteful about "Jesus" bumper stickers. I guess I just wanted a feel on the PB on this, is it just me, or does it reflect the typical American tendency towards reductionism? (No slight intended to anyone who uses a sticker! This could easily just be me being weird.;)) Anyone else have thoughts on this?:popcorn:

I enjoy humorous bumper stickers and political ones i enjoy because of irony, i have a bumper sticker on my Jeep for instance that reads "Thank you President Bush" not because i am an unconditional friend of the president but because i live in LA and enjoy the reaction in this liberal cesspool.:p

The best bumper sticker I've ever encountered was one in response to that ridiculous sticker "In Case of Rapture this Car will Be Unmanned", the brilliant response sticker read "In Case of Rapture can I Have Your Car?":lol:

I have one that says "Body pierceing saved my life" and have a rather grafic picture of Jesus' arm getting the nail in it. and one I have that says fireproof but I got that one because it was pretty....
funny story: I like fairies... so when i was 16 and had my 1st car I got a fair size sticker that was the outline of a fairy on the back windshield... she was facing you with her arms crossed infront of her.... I had my car for 4 years... one day about 31/2 years into it a guy said "dude you have a naked fairy on your car!" he was right you could see her bum (which I thought was the bottom of her wings) after that I desided to carefully examine all stickers on my car:oops::lol::lol:

I have an NRA bumper sticker; it makes me a less likely candidate for certain forms of robbery. Actually, it's an inside window sticker, so that some whack job Bay Arian doesn't tear it off.

Cheers,

Adam

OK! Not dealing with stickers in general (though I did use other examples in my OP) I wish to keep the focus on Jesus Bumper Stickers.:judge::):)

The best bumper sticker I've ever encountered was one in response to that ridiculous sticker "In Case of Rapture this Car will Be Unmanned", the brilliant response sticker read "In Case of Rapture can I Have Your Car?":lol:

Now that is funny.....

I do have a Racers For Christ sticker on my trunk lid. My family is involved with this evangelistic endeavor. And it justifies my speeding.... LOL

If I were to make a bumper sticker it would read....

Flee from the Wrath to come.
Look to the Wounds of Christ.
Romans 5:8

It is a combination of John the Baptist and Father Staupits to Luther.

And no... I am not a Roman sympathizer.

BTW, My boss is not a Jewish Carpenter. My Saviour was a Jew and a carpenter for some of his life here on earth but He is my God, King, and Saviour. What is up with this 'my boss is' stuff?

In Texas would a bumper sticker supporting your favorite football team be considered a religious bumper sticker?:rofl:

I have one that says "Body pierceing saved my life" and have a rather grafic picture of Jesus' arm getting the nail in it. and one I have that says fireproof but I got that one because it was pretty....
funny story: I like fairies... so when i was 16 and had my 1st car I got a fair size sticker that was the outline of a fairy on the back windshield... she was facing you with her arms crossed infront of her.... I had my car for 4 years... one day about 31/2 years into it a guy said "dude you have a naked fairy on your car!" he was right you could see her bum (which I thought was the bottom of her wings) after that I desided to carefully examine all stickers on my car:oops::lol::lol:

Ack! Around here it is the lesbians who put the fairies/pixies on their vehicles.

Ugh... I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said, "Feminism is the radical idea that women are people too." My understanding was totally wrong!

BTW, My boss is not a Jewish Carpenter. My Saviour was a Jew and a carpenter for some of his life here on earth but He is my God, King, and Saviour. What is up with this 'my boss is' stuff?

Prime example! I am SURE the dude felt this expressed some profound thing, when, as you noted it points only to a period of the Lord's incarnation and never goes beyond why he was for a period a Jewish carpenter. Thus my issues with Christian Stickers in general....by their nature they can only convey a brief, surface (and if not used in CONTEXT) misleading statements they tend to be shallow and trite.:2cents:

Thus my issues with Christian Stickers in general....by their nature they can only convey a brief, surface (and if not used in CONTEXT) misleading statements they tend to be shallow and trite.:2cents:

Much like many slogans etc. on church signs that confuse the truth more than they convey the truth.

Last edited:
Thus my issues with Christian Stickers in general....by their nature they can only convey a brief, surface (and if not used in CONTEXT) misleading statements they tend to be shallow and trite.:2cents:

Much like slogans etc. on church signs that confuse the truth more than they convey the truth.
IO dunno, if a sticker said "Jesus is God, you are a sinner, repent and trust in Him" I would give credit for succinctness.

Much like slogans etc. on church signs that confuse the truth more than they convey the truth.
IO dunno, if a sticker said "Jesus is God, you are a sinner, repent and trust in Him" I would give credit for succinctness.

Duly noted. I should have said "much like many slogans" to avoid confusion. At the same time however slogans, in my understanding, usually do not convey such rich truths as you cite above but rather try to sell something to the hearer rather than actually maintain or proclaim something of value.

"Jesus is God, you are a sinner, repent and trust in Him"

Someone make that one!
Ah! But there we hit on another problem with the brevity of the sticker, in this case basic truth, expressed in a succinct manner, BUT it raises another issue, who is being influenced by this (true though it might be), the Gospel mandate is usually a "hands on" thing, if we could rely on reductionism like this a missionary could (in theory) find how to translate these words into "fill in the blank" language and drop them off as leaflets. We all know it does not work that way. Salvation may be "simple" in that Christ shouldered and covered our sins, but to convey and explain this to a non Christian requires more than a statement than we can convey on a sticker, I would go as far as saying the statement we have as an example only conveys "true meaning" to another Christian who might see it, which rather defeats the purpose.:2cents::detective::book2::detective::think:

how about that one that says "God is my Co-Pilot"

I have seen those (shudder) it is bad theology...if you are a true Christian there is no "co-pilot" about it. He IS THE PILOT or if you prefer...in Him we live and move and have our being.:)

To be fair i think the "God is my Co-Pilot" can be revived theologically if it is simply extended to read " God is my co-pilot and I'm drunk and passed out so He's at the Controls"

To be fair i think the "God is my Co-Pilot" can be revived theologically if it is simply extended to read " God is my co-pilot and I'm drunk and passed out so He's at the Controls"

:lol::lol::lol: Perhaps, BUT if you are dead drunk you might wish to examine your personal walk. (Nice try though.):)

how about that one that says "God is my Co-Pilot"

This leads to the only bumper sticker I want: "Dog is my co-pilot."

I want one of these soooooooooooooooo bad. I've only seen this on a car once, and fell immediately in love with it.
I really, really love it.

On my car, (sorry, this is non-religious but Texan, which was mentioned) I have an 8x10 Ron Paul For President magnet that my S-I-L sent to me for my birthday last May.

I have a George Bush 04 on my RX-7, Fred Thompson 08 and "ye do err, not knowing the scriptures" on my Toyota, and nothing yet on my other 2.

I love bumper stickers. Esp, "In case of Rapture, this vehicle will be unmanned" Too Funny. (You don't have to be a dispensationalist to appreciate that one)

And yes, my political stickers also are a religious statement too!

-----Added 12/10/2008 at 05:26:35 EST-----

Another good one is "If God is your co-pilot, you better move over"

I also have the Calvin dude at the foot of the cross on both cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back