"The Complete Works of Thomas Smyth" Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

loomster2000

Puritan Board Freshman
Does anyone know if/where the entire 10 volumes of The Complete Works of Thomas Smyth may be available online?

...Or would anyone have a used set they wouldn't mind parting with? If so, maybe we can work something out.

Grace,
Van L.

Sorry; you are a couple of months late as I sold my set (it is a pretty nice set being a limited printing and when I bought it my book dealer noted he didn't expect anyone but a library to spring for it). Have you tried search Google books? The most important In my humble opinion are volumes 1 and 2 on polity.

Who is Thomas Smyth? Is he someone of profound consequence? Or are his works simply something that survived in the back corner of some dusty library and by virtue of having not been destroyed it is considered a jewel?
Please advise...

So much could be said about Smyth but shorthandedly, as a Hodge man, I appreciate Smyth as someone who, though a Southerner, was in sync with the best of Old Princeton, over against Thornwell and Dabney on polity matters. That's saying a lot and is part of an internecine Old School debate, but I have a great respect for the polity of Thomas Smyth. He is someone worth reading and pondering.

Peace,
Alan

So much could be said about Smyth but shorthandedly, as a Hodge man, I appreciate Smyth as someone who, though a Southerner, was in sync with the best of Old Princeton, over against Thornwell and Dabney on polity matters. That's saying a lot and is part of an internecine Old School debate, but I have a great respect for the polity of Thomas Smyth. He is someone worth reading and pondering.

Peace,
Alan

Except, of course, for all the pro-slavery blather...

I too have recently stumbled upon Smyth in my concentrated studies on the eldership. As I studied different Reformed writings and books, I frequently found him footnoted and referenced. After a little more investigation, I discovered that this was a great- but truly unknown- man. Wayne's link that he provided to Smyth's brief bio gives some reasons at the conclusion of why Smyth's works were not better circulated during and right after his time, thus resulting in him not being more widely known.

The more I read of Smyth, the more I wish that there was a sort of "revival" of this man through the republication of his writings in our time. I think it would be beneficial to the church if his 10-vol. Works would be reprinted and that he might enjoy a wide discovery in our day.

Grace,
Van L.

Here's some bibliographic information:

The Complete Works of the Rev. Thomas Smyth, D.D.; A New Edition with Brief Notes and Prefaces, with a Biographical Sketch in the Last Volume; 10 volumes; edited by Professor J. William Flynn (Columbia: R. L. Bryan Co., 1908-1912). This is a reprint of the original edition (whenever that was) with some added stuff.

And, an example of one of his books:

Calvin and His Enemies: A Memoir of the Life, Character, and Principles of Calvin by Thomas Smyth (Philadelphia: Presbyterian Board of Publication, 1856).

Yes, Richard, chattel slavery--I agree entirely--is the sad, pathetic Achilles heel of Smyth, of 19th Century Old School Presbyterianism, and of the nation more broadly, the effects of which haunt us to this day. I am writing on this, and allied concerns, and hope to be coming out with articles and a book on this within the next few years.

Peace,
Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back