The Facade (Michael Heiser)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
Heiser, Michael. The Facade.

I wasn’t sure what to expect. Theologians don’t really have a reputation as novelists. Further, I knew this book had an “X Files” vibe to it. That’s not necessarily a fault, as X Files is the greatest show of all time. Still, I wasn’t wanting to read Mulder fanfiction (which isn’t a bad idea). This book, however, exceeded all expectations.

Of course, Heiser delivered on scope and vision. That’s a given. Along those lines, the book raises questions: “If presented with ‘evidence’ of extraterrestrial life, how would you do theology?” What does that mean for image of God? Is image of God merely a set of metaphysical properties, or is a function (bet’ of predication) of royal dominion?

All of that is well and good, but does the “story” work? Yes. Heiser does a great job with dialogue and suspense, and the book ends with a cliffhanger.

What is the story? Again, that X Files vibe (but by the end of the book you have long since forgotten about the X Files). There is a shadow govt group that either contacts extraterrestrials or engages in disinformation. Enter MJ-12, Paperclip, and all the other dark spots on America’s reputation.

Some might quibble on why a shadow govt would need a Semitics scholar. Perhaps that’s the only suspension of disbelief required. The rest is basic facts.

Heiser tells the story of Dr Brian Scott, a down on his luck Semitics scholar who doesn’t have any friends in life. His life is turned upside down when he is forced to work at a secret govt facility dealing with the possible aftershocks of “alien disclosure.”

The book is fantastic. The character development is very moving.

I also was pleasantly surprised and currently reading the sequel. It was certainly entertaining and he did manage to weave a whole lot of conspiracy theories into one story without reading like Ready Player One.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back