The Holy Spirit replaces circumcision????

Status
Not open for further replies.

5solasmom

Puritan Board Freshman
Ever so timidly posting here......

I recently listened to a RBC pastor preach on infant baptism. He believes that the Holy Spirit is now the "replacement" for circumcision.

I'd like to hear the paedo view of this argument. I've read some other threads and haven't run across this specific view yet. If I missed it and someone can point me to it, I'd appreciate it greatly.

Thank you!

I have it on cassette tape from a Sunday School sermon he preached in Sept. 2002. Sorry I didn't clarify that...

I'll check on Sermon Audio to see if it might be there.

If the Holy Spirit replaces circumcision, then does he say the OT saint did not "have" the Holy Spirit?

If he thinks that the Holy Spirit is now somehow "given" in the NT "in" the believer whereas in the OT everything was "outward" then, well, there you go - he's running on his dispensational ideas that utterly overthrow how salvation works.

Remember, in every area of revelation, regeneration by the Sovereign Spirit always precedes faith. Men are not saved in any other way. Jesus rebukes Nicodemus for not understanding being "born again" since it is an OT idea, not a NT idea. See John 3:1-10.

Also, don't be afraid to post here. We want to welcome everyone with a spirit of gentleness and openness. Have FUN posting.

Jer 31 says the NT saint has a greater measure of the Spirit then the OT. Possibly the extra spiritualness of the NT is the replacement of carnal circumcision.

Haven't had a chance to listen to the complete sermon again, but a few notes from the first half.....

He believes that the Holy Spirit is a good candidate for the "seal"...

"In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory." Ephesians 1:13-14

He speaks of the Holy Spirit being the distinctive trait of new/regenerated life. He says it aligns with Abrahamic circumcision (which describes the work of regeneration) - that it is the NT evidence of a transformed life.

There's more...he goes on to describe Colossians 2:11-12. I'll post it when I get a chance to listen again...hopefully this evening!

Thanks!

Originally posted by turmeric
The Holy Spirit does seal us.
...in our baptism, which is the circumcision without hands... (I know you know that Meg but I'm going to go ahead and state the obvious).

[Edited on 2-28-2006 by SemperFideles]

Hello Dawn,
I recently listened to a RBC pastor preach on infant baptism. He believes that the Holy Spirit is now the "replacement" for circumcision.
I haven't listened to the sermon, but if he really said this, the preacher is quite wrong. Circumcision was the sign of the Old (Mosaic) Covenant- all physical Israelites had to have it. It said nothing about faith or about the Holy Spirit. (cf. Jer 9:25-26 ).

Baptism is the outward sign of the New Covenant and the Holy Spirit is the seal (Eph 1:13-14; 4:30 ).

Rich wrote:-
Originally posted by turmeric
The Holy Spirit does seal us.

...in our baptism, which is the circumcision without hands... (I know you know that Meg but I'm going to go ahead and state the obvious).

This is quite wrong, and a misreading of Col 2:11. If anyone can perform a water baptism without using his hands, I'd like to see it! The 'circumcision without hands' is the circumcision of the heart and is the work of Christ through the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit does not therefore 'replace' circumcision, but rather gives that true circumcision which is the gift of God and not of man.

Grace & Peace,

Martin

I knew it wouldn't be long until you piped in on this Martin. :)

There you have it Dawn. This is why your Baptist minister is teaching that the Holy Spirit is the seal of the New Covenant...

Presbyterians obviously disagree.

So am I right to say then that some believe the Bible teaches that baptism is the sign and the Holy Spirit is the seal of the new covenant and that circumcision was the sign and seal of the old covenant?

So does that mean that circumcision had no spiritual meaning in the OT...and if so, why would it be spoken of in Col. 2:11-12 as reference to the heart? There are many passages in the OT in which God calls the Israelites to heart circumcision. The sign they had was to represent what they stood in need of - regeneration. The sign was placed before profession could happen, but the call to love God and obey Him was no different in the OT than it is in the NT. Where did the shift take place that now says that the sign must come after profession (and that likewise, children of believers [children of Abraham who have been grafted into the olive tree and are recipients of the same promises to Abraham] are no longer to recieve this sign)?

That's the million dollar question huh? :p

Genuinely trying to understand this. I'm not wanting to "defend" any view...I'm wanting to understand more clearly.

TIA!

[Edited on 2-28-2006 by 5solasmom]

Hi Dawn,

There's more to circumcision. It symbolizes a coventental-contract: in blood and in a particular "place" (ouch!) refers to descendants being either preserved or cut-off. Much can be said...but briefly, remember that it must stay in the CONTEXT of the covenant God initiates with Adam in the Garden. It is formally RE-instated with Abraham (Gen. 15.) It's always connected to the people of God - not just individual cases.

Shed blood must happen to ratify the covenant. Adam/Eve: God slays an animal to clothe them; God honors Abel's sacrifice (Cain's sacrifice was disobedient); Noah & family is preserved through the "waters of baptism"; Abraham is asleep during God's covenant promise (Gen. 15).

We don't want to be myopically "literal" in sense. Notice the connected theme that travels throughout. After Adam's sin, God requires blood atonement which ultimately points to Christ.

:2cents:

Robin

SemperFideles,

Colossians 2:11 makes no relationship with water baptism and the circumcision made without hands. The text states "¦and in Him you were also circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, in the removal of the body of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ. The "˜circumcision made without hands´ is made by Christ Himself, not a water baptism by human hands.

Dawn,

(drumroll)

The answer to your million dollar question is:

Acts 2 is misread and taken out of context!

Acts 2:36--41

Let all the house of Israel therefore know for certain that God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified."

Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Brothers, what shall we do?" And Peter said to them, "Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to himself." And with many other words he bore witness and continued to exhort them, saying, "Save yourselves from this crooked generation." So those who received his word were baptized, and there were added that day about three thousand souls.

Note that the Jews were "cut to the heart" BEFORE Peter answers their question "what must we do?" This is a sign that Peter's message (the Gospel) effectually changes their hearts (Ezekiel 37) and they are horrified to realize (because their hearts were dead before) they killed the Messiah.

There were many "other words" Peter spoke to them. But before that though, especially note Peter (uneducated) is teaching them a long history lesson in order to tie-in his conclusion: "let all the house of Israel therefore know for certain..."

Peter makes the prophetic (OT) connections to what is happening (Pentecost.) Ezekiel 36 and 37 are the Scriptures Jesus rebukes Nicodemus for completely missing connections to! (N should have known better.)

Problems happen when verses are taken out of context and are not read as a complete "script" - in order to learn what really happened back then.

Avoid that. Never read a Bible verse. Read large portions; whole chapters; from beginning to end, without stopping. This way, we avoid getting a different "spin" on God's Word!

(am I making sense, here?....:) )

r.

Originally posted by Robin

Never read a Bible verse. Read large portions; whole chapters; from beginning to end, without stopping. This way, we avoid getting a different "spin" on God's Word!

(am I making sense, here?....:) )

r.

Yes - on the read whole passages part...and I agree. But I'm confused about what you're trying to say about circumcision and baptism (forgive me...the dots aren't connecting today...lol). Basically, I'm not understanding your conclusion on it. To be more direct...are you of paedo or credo belief?

Another question here.

Paedobaptists have stated that because OT "believing" parents were commanded to give their sons the sign and seal that therefore, believing parents today are to do the same (in baptism), yet, the "belief" of the parents was not a requirement of OT adult Israelites before giving the sign and seal to their sons. Now, I do believe circumcision was to represent a spiritual truth (that of the need for regeneration) and that God always required a heart of obedience towards Him....but He did not require the parents to believe before giving the sign/seal to their infant sons. They were just to do it. So it would seem then that the parallel breaks down. Am I missing something?

I'm really trying to grasp this.

Originally posted by TRR
SemperFideles,

Colossians 2:11 makes no relationship with water baptism and the circumcision made without hands. The text states "¦and in Him you were also circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, in the removal of the body of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ. The "˜circumcision made without hands´ is made by Christ Himself, not a water baptism by human hands.
What's that "..." there at the end of verse 11. Scripture was not writen with verse numbers. Those are placed to help us find Scripture but not to keep us chained to single verses that break up a sentence.

Col 2:9-12
9 for in him all the fulness of the godhead dwells bodily, 10 and in him you have attained to fulness, namely, in him who is the head of every principality and authority, 11 in whom also you were circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, by the putting off of the body of the flesh in the circumcision of Christ, 12 having been buried with him in your baptism in which you were also raised with him through faith in the operative power of God who raised him from the dead.

Dawn,

Here is the Hendrickson commentary on Col 2:11-12

In verses 1"“10 the warning against the Colossian Heresy was couched in general terms. With verse 11, however, right in the middle of the sentence, it begins to assume specific form. We now learn that the error that was being propagated at Colosse was basically of a Judaistic character. For a reason not definitely stated but which we can probably infer from the context and from similar warnings in other epistles the teachers of false doctrine were advertising such things as circumcision, rigid adherance to dietary restrictions, and strict observance of festivals and sabbaths. That brief summary makes verses 11"“17 a thought-unit. The style, however, changes from the rather easy-flowing didactic evident through verse 15 to the far more crisp, direct, and hortatory that begins at verse 16 and continues with few exceptions (the longest exception being 4:7"“14) to the end of the letter. It is subject-matter, namely, warning against Judaism, that unites 2:11"“17. But even this subject-matter is not altogether homogeneous. The heresy which the apostle was combating was a somewhat baffling mixture of Judaistic and Pagan beliefs propagated by men who probably posed as Christians, yes better Christians than the common lot. As has been pointed out earlier (see Introduction II C), it was exactly the type of syncretism that one could expect to find in Jewish-Pagan Colosse. It is not surprising that Paul, who had the entire picture before him all the time, in his discussions and warnings should move with ease from one element of the Colossian Heresy to another and then back again. So also here in verses 11"“17 we notice that in the midst of his warnings against Judaism he briefly touches upon two subjects about which he will say more subsequently, namely, Relation to angels (verse 15) and Asceticism (verse 16). Yet, he does this not in a disconnected or rambling manner, but in such a way that verses 11"“17 form a unit in which every clause leads to the next one in a very natural and organic manner, as will be indicated.
11, 12. Speaking then about Christ, "œthe head of every principality and authority," Paul continues: in whom you were circumcized. Paul´s thought at this point can perhaps be paraphrased somewhat as follows: Colossians, do not allow these teachers of error to deceive you as if, in order to triumph over the indulgence of the flesh (2:23) and to attain to the full measure of salvation (2:9, 10), you need to be literally circumcized (cf. Acts 15:1; Gal. 5:2, 3). You were already circumcized! Yes, you were circumcized with a circumcision that excels by far the rite that is being recommended so strongly by the teachers of error. You were circumcized with a circumcision made without hands, by the putting off of the body of the flesh in the circumcision of Christ.

Note points of difference proving the great superiority of the circumcision which the Colossians had already received:

Your circumcision was:
(1) the work of the Holy Spirit ("œmade without hands")
(2) inward, of the heart (see Rom. 2:28, 29; also N.T.C. on Phil. 3:2, 3)
(3) the putting off and casting away (note double prefix in ἀπεκδÏσει) of your entire evil nature ("œthe body of the flesh"), in its sanctifying aspect to be progressively realized
(4) Christian ("œthe circumcision of Christ," that is, the circumcision which is yours because of your vital union with Christ)

The other was:
(1) a manual operation (minor surgery!)
(2) outward
(3) removal of excess foreskin
(4) Abrahamic and Mosaic

As a further description of the circumcision which the Colossians had already received the apostle continues: having been buried with him in your baptism in which you were also raised with him. Meaning:
(1) Christ suffered, died, was buried in your stead and for your benefit. He bore the guilt and punishment of the law for you. He took upon himself the curse that rested upon you (Gal. 3:13). When by sovereign grace you embraced Christ as your Savior and Lord, you received the assurance that your former guilt-laden, damnable selves had been buried with him, and that your state with reference to God´s holy law had changed from that of objects of condemnation to that of recipients of justification (Rom. 8:1"“4; 5:1). Accordingly, not only were you buried with him but you were also raised with him.
(2) By means of his entire work of humiliation, including burial, Christ procured for you the work of the Holy Spirit (John 16:7). Hence, yours is not only justification but also sanctification, gradual spiritual renewal. The Spirit has implanted in your hearts the seed of the new life (John 3:3, 5). "œYou died, and your life is hid with Christ in God" (Col. 3:3). Hence, also in this sense, you were buried with him and you were raised with him.
But why does Paul connect "œin your baptism" with this having been buried with Christ and having been raised with him? He does not do this because he attaches any magical efficacy to the rite of baptism. See I Cor. 1:14"“17; cf. I Peter 3:21. In the passage now under discussion the apostle definitely excludes the idea that the act of baptizing, in virtue of the action itself, and independent of the condition of the heart of them who here and now professed to believe the gospel, has spiritual value. He carefully adds: through faith in the operative power84 of God who raised him from the dead. The man who hears the gospel as it is proclaimed must give his heart to the almighty God whose energizing power raised Christ from the dead. He must also believe that the spiritual power that proceeds from the risen Savior (Phil. 3:10) will bestow upon him all he needs for body and soul, for time and eternity.
What then is the meaning of the phrase "œin your baptism"? Evidently Paul in this entire paragraph magnifies Christian baptism as much as he, by clear implication, disapproves of the continuation of the rite of circumcision if viewed as having anything to do with salvation.85 The definite implication, therefore, is that baptism has taken the place of circumcision.86 Hence, what is said with reference to circumcision in Rom. 4:11, as being a sign and a seal, holds also for baptism. In the Colossian context baptism is specifically a sign and seal of having been buried with Christ and of having been raised with him. It is, accordingly, a sign and seal of union with Christ, of entrance into his covenant, of incorporation into Christ´s body, the church (I Cor. 12:13). The sign of baptism pictures the cleansing power of Christ´s blood and Spirit. That vivid portrayal is very valuable (cf. Job 42:5, 6). The seal certifies and guarantees the operation of this activity of love and grace in the lives of all those who embrace Christ by faith. Baptism, therefore, shows us a God who tenderly condescends to the weaknesses of his people: their doubts and their fears. (Cf. Heb. 6:17; also for the sacrament of communion Luke 22:19.) Surely, Noah did not despise the rainbow (Gen. 9:12"“17). Happily married couples do not think lowly of their wedding rings.
The meaning, then, of Col. 2:11, 12 would seem to be as follows (in summary): "œYou, believers, have no need of external circumcision. You have received a far better circumcision, that of heart and life. That circumcision is yours by virtue of your union with Christ. When he was buried you "” that is, your former, wicked selves "” were buried with him. When he was raised you "” as new creatures "” were raised with him. In the experience of baptism you received the sign and seal of this marvelous Spirit-wrought transformation."87

Hendriksen, W., & Kistemaker, S. J. 1953-2001. Vol. 6: New Testament commentary : Exposition of Colossians and Philemon. Accompanying biblical text is author's translation. New Testament Commentary . Baker Book House: Grand Rapids

[Edited on 2-28-2006 by SemperFideles]

Hello Dawn,
Circumcision spoke to the Israelites of the faith of Abraham (Rom 4:11 ) and of the coming Seed (Gal 3:16 ), but it was not a sign of salvation (Gal 6:15 ). Those who thought they were in relationship with God through their physical descent from Abraham and their circumcision were gravely deluded (Jer 9:25-26; Matt 3:9; John 8:39, 44; Rom 2:28-29; Gal 3:7 ).

There is no correlation between circumcision and baptism. We are twice told that the New Covenant is 'not according to' the Old (Jer 31:31-32; Heb 8:8-9 ). If baptism replaces circumcision, then why, in a meeting to discuss circumcision (Acts 15 ), is baptism never so much as mentioned? The two are different things. The 3,000 Israelites baptized at Pentecost had already been circumcised.

BTW, Robin is right. Don't just read the verses that I've given here; read around them to get the context.

Grace & Peace,

Martin

Calvin's View:
In whom ye also are circumcised. From this it appears, that he has a controversy with the false apostles, who mixed the law with the gospel, and by that means made Christ have, as it were, two faces. He specifies, however, one instance by way of example. He proves that the circumcision
of Moses is not merely unnecessary, but is opposed to Christ, because it destroys the spiritual circumcision of Christ. For circumcision was given to the Fathers that it might be the figure of a thing that was absent: those, therefore, who retain that figure after Christ´s advent, deny the ccomplishment of what it prefigures. Let us, therefore, bear in mind that outward circumcision is here compared with spiritual, just as a figure with the reality. The figure is of a thing that is absent: hence it puts away the presence of the reality. What Paul contends for is this "” that, inasmuch as
what was shadowed forth by a circumcision made with hands, has been completed in Christ, there is now no fruit or advantage from it. 371 Hence he says, that the circumcision which is made in the heart is the circumcision of Christ, and that, on this account, that which is outward is not now required, because, where the reality exists, that shadowy emblem vanishes, 372 inasmuch as it has no place except in the absence of the reality.

By the putting off of the body. He employs the term body, by an elegant metaphor, to denote a mass, made up of all vices. For as we are encompassed by our bodies, so we are surrounded on all sides by an accumulation of vices. And as the body is composed of various members, each of which has its own actings and offices, so from that accumulation of corruption all sins take their rise as members of the entire body. There is a similar manner of expression in Romans 6:13.

He takes the term flesh, as he is wont, to denote corrupt nature. The body of the sins of the flesh, therefore, is the old man with his deeds; only, there is a difference in the manner of expression, for here he expresses more properly the mass of vices which proceed from corrupt nature. He says that we obtain this 373 through Christ, so that unquestionably an entire regeneration is his benefit. It is he that circumcises the foreskin of our heart, or, in other words, mortifies all the lusts of the flesh, not with the hand, but by his Spirit. Hence there is in him the reality of the figure.

12. Buried with him, in baptism. He explains still more clearly the manner of spiritual circumcision "” because, being buried with Christ, we are partakers of his death. He expressly declares that we obtain this by means of baptism, that it may be the more clearly apparent that there is no advantage from circumcision under the reign of Christ. For some one might otherwise object: "œWhy do you abolish circumcision on this pretext "” that its accomplishment is in Christ? Was not Abraham, also, circumcised spiritually, and yet this did not hinder the adding of the sign to the
reality? Outward circumcision, therefore, is not superfluous, although that which is inward is conferred by Christ." Paul anticipates an objection of this kind, by making mention of baptism. Christ, says he, accomplishes in us spiritual circumcision, not through means of that ancient sign, which was in force under Moses, but by baptism. Baptism, therefore, is a sign of the thing that is presented to us, which while absent was prefigured by circumcision. The argument is taken from the economy 374 which God has appointed; for those who retain circumcision contrive a mode of dispensation different from that which God has appointed.
When he says that we are buried with Christ, this means more than that we are crucified with him; for burial expresses a continued process of mortification. When he says, that this is done through means of baptism, as he says also in Romans 6:4, he speaks in his usual manner, ascribing
efficacy to the sacrament, that it may not fruitlessly signify what does not exist. 375 By baptism, therefore, we are buried with Christ, because Christ does at the same time accomplish efficaciously that mortification, which he there represents, that the reality may be conjoined with the sign.

In which also ye are risen. He magnifies the grace which we obtain in Christ, as being greatly superior to circumcision. "œWe are not only," says he, "œingrafted into Christ´s death, but we also rise to newness of life:" hence the more injury is done to Christ by those who endeavor to bring us
back to circumcision. He adds, by faith, for unquestionably it is by it that we receive what is presented to us in baptism. But what faith? That of his efficacy or operation, by which he means, that faith is founded upon the power of God. As, however, faith does not wander in a confused and undefined contemplation, as they speak, of divine power, he intimates what efficacy it ought to have in view "” that by which God raised Christ from the dead. He takes this, however, for granted, that, inasmuch as it is impossible that believers should be severed from their head, the same power of God, which shewed itself in Christ, is diffused among them all in common.

While I believe that Holy Spirit was poured out in abundance at Pentacost, I have little doubt that the Israelites of faith from Patriarchs of Abraham's days were regenerated by the Holy Spirit and He dwelt among His people. R.C. Sproul acquiesces here.

Circumcision is symbolic of being cut off and was a Mosaic covenant ordinance-- I'll just never buy Presbyterian conceptions of Covenant theology as it relates to this matter, as they seem wholly untenable to me.

Originally posted by TRR
SemperFideles,

:ditto:

Originally posted by Puritanhead
While I believe that Holy Spirit was poured out in abundance at Pentacost, I have little doubt that the Israelites of faith from Patriarchs of Abraham's days were regenerated by the Holy Spirit and He dwelt among His people. R.C. Sproul acquiesces here.

Circumcision is symbolic of being cut off and was a Mosaic covenant ordinance-- I'll just never buy Presbyterian conceptions of Covenant theology as it relates to this matter, as they seem wholly untenable to me.

Originally posted by TRR
SemperFideles,

:ditto:
Correction, you don't buy Calvin's conceptions regarding the issue.

Originally posted by 5solasmom
Another question here.

Paedobaptists have stated that because OT "believing" parents were commanded to give their sons the sign and seal that therefore, believing parents today are to do the same (in baptism), yet, the "belief" of the parents was not a requirement of OT adult Israelites before giving the sign and seal to their sons. Now, I do believe circumcision was to represent a spiritual truth (that of the need for regeneration) and that God always required a heart of obedience towards Him....but He did not require the parents to believe before giving the sign/seal to their infant sons. They were just to do it. So it would seem then that the parallel breaks down. Am I missing something?

I'm really trying to grasp this.

Dawn...you're gettin' warmer, kiddo! Be patient with yourself - it'll take some time to rethink and re-read things.

First....try ever so hard to get away from the typical paedo/credo struggle. Rather, seek to understand H O W God saves his people - played out in history.

There are overlapping "types" in the OT that point to the real thing (Jesus) in the NT. Example: Noah was a "picture" of baptism. It was both a real deliverance for Noah and an example to us to affirm God's mighty acts to save. Israel walking through the Red Sea is the same/repeated picture! Note the amazing song of Moses (Ex. 15.)

Meanwhile, both in the OT and in the NT circumcision is a "command" just like baptism is. God is setting apart his "new society" his people. It's not an "individualistic" idea. It's communal. In these times, we are so sinful and arrogant, we forget that the same God in the OT (who does not change) imposes the same obedience -- though He is the one that does the saving! Baptism is a command to the people of God - to show themselves among those who belong to Christ and trust His works for their salvation.

The sign has changed (thank God!) but the reason remains the same. Avoid the term "spiritual." That word can mean anything these days. Circumcision is a command pointing to the saving acts of God; baptism is the same. It's about what God has done. Concrete actions. Real stuff.

Why not read the whole book of Hebrews? It's all there. Remember - go from beginning to end without stopping. Find out what the Text SAYS - in context. I'll bet you'll understand more than you expect!

:)

r.

[Edited on 3-1-2006 by Robin]

Dawn,

Before you get too far into this, make sure that you ask these questions of your elders; especially the short one who talks funny :lol:

He should be able to steer you towards some materials that will do a much better job of explaining the confessional Reformed Baptist position than either the visiting pastor or the Baptists on this board.

Originally posted by Philip A
Dawn,

Before you get too far into this, make sure that you ask these questions of your elders; especially the short one who talks funny :lol:

He should be able to steer you towards some materials that will do a much better job of explaining the confessional Reformed Baptist position than either the visiting pastor or the Baptists on this board.

:bigsmile:

Yes, Dh and I are going to be chattin' with tall, the not-so-funny-talkin' one! We had planned to earlier, but the meeting was cancelled (I think the short funny-talkin' one had to be picked up from the airport or something like that! hehe!).

Originally posted by Martin Marprelate
Hello Dawn,
Circumcision spoke to the Israelites of the faith of Abraham (Rom 4:11 ) and of the coming Seed (Gal 3:16 ), but it was not a sign of salvation (Gal 6:15 ).

Really?

Romans 2:28 For no one is a Jew who is merely one outwardly, nor is circumcision outward and physical. 29 But a Jew is one inwardly, and circumcision is a matter of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter. His praise is not from man but from God.

Originally posted by WrittenFromUtopia
Originally posted by Martin Marprelate
Hello Dawn,
Circumcision spoke to the Israelites of the faith of Abraham (Rom 4:11 ) and of the coming Seed (Gal 3:16 ), but it was not a sign of salvation (Gal 6:15 ).

Really?

Romans 2:28 For no one is a Jew who is merely one outwardly, nor is circumcision outward and physical. 29 But a Jew is one inwardly, and circumcision is a matter of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter. His praise is not from man but from God.

Amen! But do you understand what Paul's saying? Look at the text again in conjunction with Phil 3:3ff.

Martin

Saying that the Holy Spirit replaces physical circumcision would indeed mean that the Holy Spirit was not until some point post-ascension, as already noted. Unthinkable.

Circumcision was a theological lesson that pointed to the Spirit's work that would eventually be fully revealed in the New Covenant, which is the full and final expression of the promise of redemption in Christ. This prophetic function of circumcision operated within the shadowy covenant made with Abraham as its sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back