I just finished reading Thomas Goodwin’s The Heart of Christ (Banner of truth, Puritan paperbacks, 2021). After some thoughts and research on older threads on impassibility, I decided to post this thread for more clarity. The corresponding section in Goodwin’s book (in the edition I have) is pp. 101-111, concerning the difference between the affections Christ had on earth, and the affections he now has in heaven.
I still consider myself newly reformed, and so the idea of the impassibility of God is still quite mysterious for me to grasp. I ask for your patience and grace. Consider then the following:
I appreciate your help in advance.
I still consider myself newly reformed, and so the idea of the impassibility of God is still quite mysterious for me to grasp. I ask for your patience and grace. Consider then the following:
- Christ, while he was on earth, was a man of sorrows acquainted with grief, even to the point of sorrow unto death (Mt. 26:38). He also wept in the case of Lazarus (Jn. 11:35).
- God is without passions. This is to say God doesn’t have emotions like we do. We react to circumstances, but God’s affections are willed by Himself.
- Goodwin states in the book that while on earth, Christ’s affections caused His body distress and sorrow. But now in heaven, with a glorified, risen body, that negative aspect of suffering, affliction, and frailty has ceased, though Christ’s affection towards us sinners remain the same.
- Goodwin admits to a difficulty in distinguishing the manner of Christ’s affections on earth vs. in heaven, so I don’t feel alone (but Goodwin proceeded to write 5 pages to explain...).
- My difficulty lies in how to understand impassibility in Christ’s human nature: It seems that Christ’s affections have an effect on His body (i.e., weeping and sorrow), but now it clearly doesn’t in heaven, according to Goodwin... I will quote this small section on p. 105
So that this may perhaps be one difference, that these affections, so far as in the body of Christ, do not affect his soul, as here they did, thou as then under the command of grace and, reason, to keep their motions from being inordinate or sinful; but further, the soul being now too strong for them, doth at its own arbitrement raise them, and as entirely and immediately stir them as it doth itself.
I appreciate your help in advance.