The Teaching Company

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very good, Ivan. I have over a dozen lecture series from them. Very high quality. Just stay away from any theology from Bart Ehrman. :)

Lot of cool stuff---really pricey, but good. I have their lectures on Greek Philosophy, Plato, and Winston Churchill.

It's on sale right now.

Those are the key words. I don't buy anything unless it is on sale. Once you are on their mailing list, you get regular "sale" e-mails, and a catalog every 2-3 weeks. I recieved 2 "70% off" catalogs on Thursday, one with a 10$ customer appreciation coupon. They always have sales.

I'm thinking about getting the new release "The Power of Mathematical Thinking" (24 lectures on dvd) and... it's on sale!

It's on sale right now.

Those are the key words. I don't buy anything unless it is on sale. Once you are on their mailing list, you get regular "sale" e-mails, and a catalog every 2-3 weeks. I recieved 2 "70% off" catalogs on Thursday, one with a 10$ customer appreciation coupon. They always have sales.

I'm thinking about getting the new release "The Power of Mathematical Thinking" (24 lectures on dvd) and... it's on sale!

My understanding is that over the course of a year all of the offerings go on sale for about a month. Believe me, I will only buy what is on sale.

A friend of mine has been buying them for years, I've listened to over 20 of them so far and enjoy them.

I have the list at work. When I get in on Monday I'll have a look and list the ones I would recommend.

It is a good company. I have enjoyed listening to the lectures from the Teaching Company. I have lectures on the Foundations of Western Civilization, History of the Middle Ages, Medieval Philosophy, Augustine, and the Birth of the Modern Mind.

Last edited:
Plato's Republic Roochnik
Philosophy of Religion James Hall (didn’t like the speaker, content was ok)
St. Augustine’s Confessions Cook
Foundations of Western Civilization Noble
Medieval World Armstrong
Luther: Gospel, Law, and Reformation Cary
Popes and the Papacy: A History Noble

Plato's Republic Roochnik
Philosophy of Religion James Hall (didn’t like the speaker, content was ok)
St. Augustine’s Confessions Cook
Foundations of Western Civilization Noble
Medieval World Armstrong
Luther: Gospel, Law, and Reformation Cary
Popes and the Papacy: A History Noble

Thank you, Jason, you're suggestions will help me make better chocies.

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

It is a good company. I have enjoyed listening to the lectures from the Teaching Company. I have lectures on the Foundations of Western Civilization, History of the Middle Ages, Medieval Philosophy, Augustine, and the Birth of the Modern Mind.

Thanks, Curt. That helps.

Very good, Ivan. I have over a dozen lecture series from them. Very high quality. Just stay away from any theology from Bart Ehrman. :)

Agreed :ditto: I mainly buy courses on Greek and Roman civilization but out of curiosity I purchased one of Ehrman's lecture series. The good thing is that you know what to expect when listening to him.

My mother used these to teach my younger siblings the humanities in high school. They all loved them - and said they were excellent prep for college courses in those areas.

I did the Bart Ehrman ones (borrowed from a friend). It was intro to the arch-heretic and former fundy (Moody, Wheaton, Princeton).

I was made aware of The Teaching Company by a member of my church...who is 81 years old and still wants to learn more.

He is one cool guy.

The History of Christianity in the Reformation Era course was sent to me free when I wrote a letter to the founder and president of the company (I had no cash). Excellent course. The Teaching Company is A-1 in my book. But do stay away from any and all courses taught by that prof from UNC Chapel Hill; his Historical Jesus course is terrible.

Seriously, if anyone wants to sell me their already-listened-to lectures, I would gladly buy them. I need some audio-feed for my hungry brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back