We visited a reformed church in our town this morning. Scripture reading was Genesis 19, but instead of the pastor or an elder reading the text, a member of the congregation came up and gave what I guess would be considered a "theatrical reading" of the passage. I felt a little bid uncomfortable during this time as my attention was sometimes drawn away from the meaning of the text and towards what the performer was doing on stage. Although the individual did not have a Bible in hand, the entire "performance" was the entirety of Genesis 19, word-for-word.
Does anyone know if this is a common practice in some churches, and if so, does this practice become less distracting over time?
Does anyone know if this is a common practice in some churches, and if so, does this practice become less distracting over time?
Personally, I don't like a monotone reading of Scripture, especially beofre a sermon. The Word is alive and should be presented as such. That's not to say that the Word needs our help to be alive. But, a monotone reading is distracting, In my humble opinion. As a result, I also own the entire Bible on CD, and decided to go with the dramatic version. What that simply means is that much of the reading is done dramatically, including sound effects in the background (nothing overly dramatic though). On the other hand, I have also observed a Scripture reading that was accompanied by interpretive dance. The problem with such a style was that the dance had absolutely nothing to do with what the Scripture was saying and it was also distracting. We don't need to overdo it since the Word has a natural vivacity. And any reading should help present the text contextually.