Thomas Manton: Defining Law in Psalm 119:18

Alfredsparks

Puritan Board Freshman
Open my eyes, that I may behold
wondrous things out of your law*.

—Psalm 119:18

*Law [here] is not taken strictly for the covenant of works, nor the decalogue as a rule of life; but more generally for the whole word of God, which is full of wonders.

—Puritan Thomas Manton, Works 6:171

Open my eyes, that I may behold
wondrous things out of your law*.

—Psalm 119:18

*Law [here] is not taken strictly for the covenant of works, nor the decalogue as a rule of life; but more generally for the whole word of God, which is full of wonders.

—Puritan Thomas Manton, Works 6:171
I find this so beautiful to read. I've long thought that the word referred to the Ten Commandments. Until I read something similar in a study about the word "law". There it said: The word "law" in this context is translated from the Hebrew word תּוֹרָה (Torah), which can mean "law," "instruction," or "teaching" and often refers to the first five books of the Hebrew Bible.

What I love in this Psalm, is the prayer "open my eyes". The Hebrew word גַּל (gal) in Psalm 119:18 is often translated as "open" or "uncover." This verb comes from the root "to discover," "to reveal," or "to uncover." For me this resonates with the blind man in the New Testament who said, "Rabboni, that I may receive my sight" (Mark 10:51). That was about real blindness, not spiritual, right?

Now I'm going to see if we have a booklet from this church father. I like the quote so beautiful. Thank you!

Back