Tips for Visiting D.C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frosty

Puritan Board Sophomore
Will be visiting Washington, D.C. on Saturday. I have been there one time and it was with a big group on a charter bus, so I did not have to worry about parking arrangements.

A couple of things I could use help with:

1) Where is the best place to park? I am looking for something free or cheap. From what I know parking is very limited within the main part of town. I am willing to walk a good distance if the lot is free/cheap and safe.

2) If you had about 10 hours to spend in D.C., where would you visit? I have only spent about 8 hours in D.C., so I am sort of a blank canvas at the moment. What are the MUST SEE attractions?
 
We've visited DC a few times and have always found metered parking to not be hard to find. But free or cheap, I don't know.
I think the Holocaust Museum is incredible as is the Air and Space Museum. There are a few different parts of town that are cool to walk around or window shop in, but I'm not sure if that's what you are looking for. The National Zoo is great, too, but also not sure if that's your thing. (It is free, parking is not.)
 
There were motorized trolleys that followed a set route all around D.C. I can't remember their name, but I am sure they could be searched online. They are pervasive.

They were perfect for us. There are maybe 15 stops, all at major attractions. You get off where you like; and get back on when you like, as the trolleys run a circuitous, continual route. I remember disembarking at the National Cathedral, the Smithsonian, and the Vietnam Memorial, which was also near the Lincoln Memorial and the Washington Monument, and the long pool etc.

It was inexpensive, and you can tailor it perfectly to your own tempo and interests.

The drivers we had made interesting and comical comments all along the route; I remember them pointing out where Lincoln was shot (and where he died) as we drove past, etc., and making some pithy comments about a big AFL CIO building. Lots of little general interest stuff, which you'd never know if you were just going by without a guide.
 
Go to the National Mall area. Anything that's "must see" is there. On a Saturday this time of year, I would think you'd be able to find street parking on or near the Mall if you arrive early, around 9:00am. Pay attention to the signs and know the terms for the spot you find. I've always found a spot, though it can take some circling and checking of side streets... including the road from the Lincoln Memorial to the Jefferson. Be prepared to walk much. If you can't walk, you need some other plan.

The Lincoln Memorial is always a must-see for me. The Second Inaugural Address, inscribed on Lincoln's left, is a less famous but more moving work than the Gettysburg Address on his right. Lincoln may not have been a believer, but that inscription is a God-aware, Scripture-informed island in the otherwise secular sea of the Mall.

A trip to the top of the Washington Memorial is worth it, for sure, but it may be too late at this point to get reservations. The Air & Space Museum is my only must-see museum. But pick a few others as well based on what interests you most. They're all good, free, and easy to see the highlights in just an hour or so if your time is limited.
 
As far as spending a 10 hour day, you may enjoy bicycling around the mall area, that is a delight and easy to navigate.

Maybe plan your day for bicycling in the morning, have a good lunch, spend afternoon at the Smithsonian museum(s). You can ride the subway to the bike rental here:
Bike the Sites of Washington DC | Bike and Roll

Or for an all day bicycling and jog (spectacular views), the Mount Vernon trail is superb.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...Trail-Washington_DC_District_of_Columbia.html

Plan your day with plenty of water, comfortable walking shoes, sun protection, good meals and to avoid rush hour driving.

If you and/or your group is not in good physical condition or want to be guided, the segway tours are a good low impact orientation.http://citysegwaytours.com/washington-dc
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top