One of the injustices inflicted on my family was that the family bible with the genealogical charts at the front went to a cousin in Cumbernauld. This was the WRONG cousin and an affront to the correct lineage (so I am told).
Family records were passed down from Adam and added to by others. How long did Noah take to build the Ark - the better part of a century as I recall. This was not a spontaneous cruise with
lastminute .com. It was a planned departure with the removal van being built in the back yard. I assume that Noah took his "family Bible" or it's equivalent in written records into the Ark along with some gardening implements and maybe a loom and spinning wheel. He probably put wine onboard of the antediluvian vintage. I wonder how much that amphorae would fetch at auction today?
Culturally we are predisposed to dismiss the story of the flood and Creation as myths. I am coming around to the conviction that our working memory is able to consider only one or two ideas simultaneously. Everything else is in the shadows as feelings, a sense or predisposition - long term memory. This fits with all the facts and goes a long way to explain human nature.
Incredulity seems to be based on predispositions and imagining the only way to survive was outside the Ark to be discovered by a Sumerian archeological dig led by a Sumerian Indiana Jones. You are not picturing Noah walking up the ramp with a crate labelled "family records".