Trial by Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semper Fidelis

2 Timothy 2:24-25
Staff member
I hope this thread can spark some genuine discussion regarding some of the pitfalls of trying somebody on the Internet for the things they write and say. To wit, I am referring to this thread:
http://www.puritanboard.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=16575

Any discussions about whether Dr. McMahon should have written what he did or how he did are really not the topic of this thread. At issue is the propriety of charging a Brother in Christ and convicting him before he has had a chance to respond to the charges.

Let's look at the timeline of the thread to put things in perspective (all time are in EST):

2-8-05 @ 2254 - Matt begins the thread with a link to the article.
2-8-05 @ 2358 - First post that begins an argument about what Matt's article actually says. There is marked disagreement as to what it signifies.
2-9-05 @ 0912 - Matt responds to one question but fails to clarify or settle the controversy as to intent of his article.

FIVE pages of controversy ensue in which his article and intent is dissected. He is accused and convicted of saying that everybody who is not a five-point Calvinist is condemned to Hell and is even referred to as cultic.

2-10-05 @ 1023 - Matt reappears apparently previously busy with things more important than the Puritanboard. He dittos a warning to a member to be kinder to a fellow elder in Christ's Church. An elder who, heretofore, has been telling Matt to repent of his article and impugning his motives.
2-10-05 @ 1201 - Matt finally begins to explain himself having to respond to 5 pages of a thread in which his motives are impugned or defended.

He is able to post a couple of more times until about 2200, literally 10 hours after he began to explain and defend his remarks, a long time member resigns because Matt's article apparently represents the worst of the Reformed faith. Others have not resigned from the Board but have given him little opportunity to speak for himself and express distrust of his motives instead of suggesting, gently, a way to re-write. Still others have not even asked him to prayerfully consider revision but prefer to body-slam him and demand repentance.

NOW, the question I have for all of you:
WHAT THE HECK?!

Look at the timeline. This controversy has "embroiled" the Puritan Board for a grand total of 48 hours! Further, Matt's "defense" of his article has only been 10 hours.

Is this how we try and convict brothers in Christ? This is the danger of the Internet on full display. The discussion goes so rapidly with tempers getting amped up so quickly, with people piping in at the rapid rate who don't even represent the poster, and before you know it folks have condemned the original poster without giving him a chance to explain and even potentially repent of his article.

What do we expect of a man? If he doesn't repent the moment we press Post Reply that he is unrepentant? The verdict is still out on this whole controversy frankly because I think Matt still hasn't had time to sufficiently consider and weigh the pros and cons of the article presented. We all agree that it shouldn't take months for a Presbytery to deal with a heresy but God forbid the day when a man has 10 hours to defend himself before he's cast out of the Church because he's cultic and unrepentant.

Forget the topic at hand, forget the man. If this was you and your thread and your ideas would you have liked the courtesy of some more time to pray and consider your position rather than being pinned to the ground while people spit in your face demanding immediate repentance. Try physically crowding most men the way you crowded Matt and see if the worst you walk away with is bruised sensibilities! This is pugilism on full display.

For shame!

[Edited on 2-11-2006 by SemperFideles]

Ritch,
Though I have not read through all the pages on the thread nor the article so I have no comments on that. But I want to say that it apears that there is a tendency to post away attacks or criticisms towards a fellow brother or sister until they have been given a chance to defend there postition or repent.

This board is not perfect by any means. But I think it could use a does of charity from ALL members regardless of your denomination or confession.

Cause when WE go on and on about what someone posted before the one accused responds it tends to delve into gossip and sooner or later some one who has read what the person posted beleives what is posted as hearsay as FACT.

This board has been beneficial for me in my walk. As it has for others. We dont need people tearing it down. What I mean by people is all of US. ME included.

This is why I stopped being a moderator because I was getting to hot tempered in politics that being in a postion of authority on this board would create a conflict. Not that by being a member excludes my previous actions by any means.

I love the people on this board. I love God the Father,Son, and Holy Spirit. I love HIS WORD. I love my fellow brethren of years past who died for HIS WORD so that we may have the gospel preached to us today.

Let's not easilly toss away what a good thing we have over hot tempers and the temptation to fall into gossip. The board is usefull for it's purpose it's not church. But for those who are in between or babes it is a great asset!!

Please forgive me for any wrong doing I have done on this board to make it less edifying and pleasing to the Lord Jesus Christ.

In Christ,
Blade

The sheer fact that people respond with quotations that have been quoted that have been quoted that have been quoted is a turn off to me. I stopped following it after the second page. Too confusing.
:cool:

Rich,
For the record, I am in serious disagreement with Matt's ariticle and position. However, I've refused to enter the debate. And, I pretty much always refuse any longer to debate in an internet forum over dearly held positions. The instantaneous nature of the format does not lend itself to good communication.

Originally posted by LawrenceU
Rich,
For the record, I am in serious disagreement with Matt's ariticle and position. However, I've refused to enter the debate. And, I pretty much always refuse any longer to debate in an internet forum over dearly held positions. The instantaneous nature of the format does not lend itself to good communication.

:amen:
These are the words of a wise brother is a wise brother.:amen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back