Although there are professing believers that do live their lives like atheists and live with very little or no repentance. There are those that are of the few that are tormented by the seeming lack of change and to the point of wondering if they are really repenting. Some that must be reminded that Christ is still enough for them, and in due time the change based on the Gospel is made manifest.
I found this helpful: The full assurance of gospel faith is a most comforting, soul-establishing, and God-glorifying grace; yet it must be acknowledged that faith is the gift of God, and all the household of faith are not at the height of this stature. I have known something of this grace for the last seventeen years, and it is well known that it has been sorely tried many ways; and, for my part, I believe it is the faith of God's elect that I am favoured with, for it hath prevailed with God times without number; and, agreeable to scripture, I find that "in quietness and in confidence is my strength," Isa. xxx. 15. But I cannot find that it is in my power to exercise this grace when I would, though I could wish it were always in exercise. Faith is a fruit of the Spirit; hence the Spirit is called, the Spirit of Faith; and if faith be a fruit of the Spirit, then the Spirit must be the life, power, and root of, faith; and this wind bloweth when and where it listeth. I cannot command the north wind to awake when I please; nor is the south in my power that it should blow on my garden at my pleasure, and cause the spices to flow at my command, Cant. iv. 16. This power rests entirely with God, who "hath dealt to every [believing] man the measure of faith," Rom. xii. 3: who alone has "the residue of the Spirit," Mal. ii. 15; and gives to his people, as need requires, a supply of the same, Phil. i. 19, which influences faith, and every other grace, as it pleaseth God, who is the sovereign disposer of every good and every perfect gift. I find, by daily experience, that the life, power, courage, activity, or exercise of faith, are far from being at my command; I can neither will or do any thing truly good, but as God works inclination and motion in me of his own good pleasure. I am therefore compelled to acknowledge, that from the Lord is my "fruit found," Hos. xlv. 8; and without a sensible union with Christ I can do nothing; though God, who knows my heart, knows that I would willingly spend and be spent in his service, and in the service of his people. [for context see
link]
Some are so overly tormented that they avoid the world in order to keep from falling. What would you say about such an individual?
Joseph Orton wrote: I merely look at this to show what a loss there is to a person professing the fear of God to be separate from the body of Christ - the Church of Christ is called His body, and separation therefrom cuts off from that vital influence. God alone knows how it is communicated; and He Himself tells us about it, and tells us what it is. He Himself it is who ordained this, and communicates the blessing; and He Himself tells us what the loss is that is sustained by a person being cut off or separated from the communion of the saints of God. There is a separation from the body, a separation of influence, a loss to that particular member, whatever that member may be, however insignificant in its own eyes, or in the eyes of others, the body is not perfect without it; and, being separated, it is like an incision or cutting off, when all vital sap ceases to flow to it. God tells us so, and He knows what loss we suffer - we may not see and feel it. - The Church: The Body of Christ, Delivered Lord's day Morning, November 6th, 1881