Truly Tiny Greek NT - Does it exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnideSplanchna

Puritan Board Freshman
I'm the weirdo that reads through the apparatus regularly because I'm curious, but I want an actual pocket NT. Like, to keep in my pocket.
No English, no dictionary, no apparatus, no smartphone, no falling apart due to cruddy binding. Is this a thing?
 
They do exist. I have not owned any, but I've seen some. A former professor of Greek at Bob Jones University, Randy Leedy, has some linked on his website.

I don't know much about him or the various Greek texts that are used in the pocket GNTs he has linked, but I hope this helps!
 
Hello Em @SnideSplanchna ,

The one listed above by Jacob is a critical text version, and not at all in colloquial Greek. I live in a Greek-speaking country (Cyprus), and have ordered from my CLC (Christian Literature Crusade) bookshop in the capital (Nicosia) a superior Greek NT, which she had to get from Greece. I'll attach photos. The edition that is best is the Vamvas (aka Bamba) edition (who used the Greek TR) of the 1800s and which was further modernized in this century into genuinely colloquial Greek. They come in 3 sizes, small, medium, and large, and the large in the same coloring as the small one below, and also in a slightly more expensive but higher quality cover (dark brown or black).

The photo of the NT is 5⅛ in by 3½ in.

Were I you, I would deal with the family business, Pergamos, in Greece. The translator into colloquial Greek was the (now deceased) father, and his daughters are running it now. Their dad went to great lengths in his faithful translation from the Neophytos Vamvas translation (a professor at the National University of Athens and prominent national teacher who much earlier also went to great lengths) although his Greek was not nearly as colloquial as the Pergamos version.

A Greek-speaking Cypriot woman I gave some copies to was delighted and amazed to see how the language was so easy to read. Here are the scans I made:

Greek Vamvas NT.JPG

Greek NT info.jpeg
 
Em, Here's some text so you can see how it reads:
Thanks Steve! This would be perfect, except that I do actually want the text as in NA28/29 or UBS5/6, just without notes. Thank you for sharing these pictures though. Love the clarity of both typeset and language--an encouragement to see!
 
They do exist. I have not owned any, but I've seen some. A former professor of Greek at Bob Jones University, Randy Leedy, has some linked on his website.

I don't know much about him or the various Greek texts that are used in the pocket GNTs he has linked, but I hope this helps!
Thank you! I'd come across that link and thought the site was dead. Now I know it works for you, looked again and see that it's a 403 not a 404 error, so just need to get to a newer computer to check it out.
 
I'm the weirdo that reads through the apparatus regularly because I'm curious, but I want an actual pocket NT. Like, to keep in my pocket.
No English, no dictionary, no apparatus, no smartphone, no falling apart due to cruddy binding. Is this a thing?
Greetings,

Here are a few things from a simple Google search; maybe it will help.
~~~~~~~​

The smallest physical, ink-on-paper Greek New Testaments that can still be read with the naked eye are custom pocket editions by Pocket Greek New Testament and traditional monastic printings by the ZOE Brotherhood of Theologians. [1]

Physical Pocket Editions
    • Pocket Greek New Testament: Measures about 3.25" x 4.75" and uses a tiny yet legible 6.4-point font printed on thin Japanese paper.
    • ZOE Brotherhood of Theologians: Publishes an Athens edition measuring 4.7" x 3.6" with a crisp 5.8-point Greek font. [1, 2]
Extreme Technological Alternatives
    • Jerusalem Nano Bible: Makes a silicon chip version measuring 4.76mm x 4.76mm containing the entire Greek New Testament, but it cannot be read with the naked eye and requires a microscope with massive magnification.
 
I can testify that Pocket GNTs does excellent work. He uses the 1904 Nestle text, as it is in the public domain, so it is a critical text but not recent. However, it is probably the most recent critical text you could find in a pocket edition. The quality is great and the prices are very reasonable. I bring mine around with me all the time, and it has held up remarkably well.
 
I can testify that Pocket GNTs does excellent work. He uses the 1904 Nestle text, as it is in the public domain, so it is a critical text but not recent. However, it is probably the most recent critical text you could find in a pocket edition. The quality is great and the prices are very reasonable. I bring mine around with me all the time, and it has held up remarkably well.
Εὖ μαρτύρησον :) Great to know it holds up. Looks like that is the one to get. Saw there's something like seven hundred differences between that and the recent versions--but people with no other options must be content with what is offered!
Greetings,

Here are a few things from a simple Google search; maybe it will help.
~~~~~~~​
Thanks! Google AI won't give me the time of day, since it's miffed I'm on an outdated Chromebook. That Bible with the .18-micron letters puts a new spin to "have eyes, but see not."
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top