Tumors, Sin, and Accountability

Status
Not open for further replies.

openairboy

Puritan Board Freshman
I read this on the web:

"Thirty years ago today, in 1966 Charles Joeseph Whitman was shot after
killing 15 people
at U. of Texas. This was the basis for Harry's song "Sniper" from the
album, Sniper and
Other Love Songs.

Below is an excerpt on the event from the Web:

The Day the Whole Damned Campus Died

Date/Time: July 31, 1966. Between 11:00pm and 12:30am.
Place: Downtown Austin

Charles J. Whitman picked up his wife from her summer job as a telephone
operator and
dropped her off at home. He then drove across town to his mother's
apartment and stabbed
her five times, shot her once in the back of the head, and squeezed her
left hand so
hard that her engagement ring broke her finger and the stone in it broke.
He left a note
on her nightstand. He then drove home and stabbed his wife four times (for
the number of
years they had been together). She was supposedly asleep because there was
no sign of a
struggle. He also typed another note on that same night.

Date/Time: August 1, 1966. 11:48am.
Place: University of Texas at Austin Campus

Charles Joseph Whitman carted a green duffel bag on a rented hand cart up
the elevators
of the UT Tower. The bag was labeled, "Lance Cpl. C. J. Whitman," and
stuffed full of
Spam, Planters Peanuts, fruit cocktail, sandwiches, a box of raisins,
jerricans
containing water and gasoline, rope, binoculars, canteens, a plastic
bottle of Mennen
spray deodorant, toilet paper, a machete, Bowie knife, hatchet, a 6mm
Remington
bolt-action rifle (with a 4-power Leupold telescopic sight), a .35 caliber
Remington
Rifle, a Galesi-Brescia pistol, and a .357 Magnum Smith & Wesson revolver,
a
..30 caliber carbine, 12-gauge sawed off shotgun (which he had just bought
from Sears on
credit that morning), some 30 shot magazines, and over 700 rounds of
ammunition. (He
decided to leave his other three rifles and two derringers at home).

He was held up by a receptionist, and a small family of visitors, at the
top of the
Tower. If he hadn't had to kill most of them, he would have made it up to
the
observation deck in time to see everyone getting out of class for lunch.
Instead, he had
to pick off the stragglers who remained.

He held up his battle for 99 minutes before 3 Austin Patrolmen and one
retired Air Force
Tailgunner tunneled in the catacomes beneath the South Mall and found
their way into the
Tower, where they shot him 6 times with a .38, and twice in the face with
a 12-gauge
shotgun from 5 feet away.

Later, at Whitman's request in a letter in his duffel bag, an autopsy was
performed.
They found a tumor the size of a golf-ball putting pressure on the
aggression center of
his brain."


I was curious how we should address these type of issues as Christians. Do we blame the brain (a name of a book I have not read)? How do these fit?

Any ideas, books, articles, etc., is greatly appreciated, b/c I'm really curious how we should address this.

opeairboy
 
People who are ill and take actions that are sinful are responsible for those actions, no matter how you look at it. When that man appears before the judgment throne of God, his sins are going to be confronted. God will not write them off because of his illness.
 
If he is not a believer, and has not the Holy Spirit, he has no recourse to deal with his sinful urges--however they manifest themselves. He is a wicked man in any case.
 
Sometimes in cases there really isnt much a person can do to avoid sining but then again that goes for all of us it is by the grace of God that we not sin at all.

blade
 
Well, I guess I'm not really satisfied with just saying, "They are accountable." I remember a friend of mine was coaching a sport when one of hte kids broke his arm and he told him, not knowing it was broken, "Just play through it." We all know that it is ridiculous and we still tease him to this day for suggesting such a crazy notion. Now, I can "grasp" the idea of "union with Adam" and how our union with him makes us culpable, responsible, etc., but to suggest someone would go to hell for being a midget, or something like that, seems completely arbitrary, especially if entrance into the kingdom requires one to be 6'. I realize the analogy isn't perfect, hence it being an analogy, but if I knew I could push the top of someone's head and they would kill someone due to the pressure, I couldn't fathom holding them accountable. Hence, part of my wants to reject the idea of "chemical imbalances", etc., out of hand, and identify them as being driven by a worldview, namely materialism, which has to explain all behavior in physical and chemical categories and deny the "spiritual" aspect of man. I hold to a mind-body unity, so I have no problem seeing a relation between my sin and its effects on my body. For example, when I go through bouts of depression I know that it is due to specific sins I have committed and the shame involved with those sins. I bet if I was to go to a doctor they could identify patterns on my brain and say, "Yup, this dude is depressed", but they don't really grasp the reasons behind it.

That's kind of long, but I would like to grasp the "chemical imbalance", "tumor", etc., ideas more thoroughly, b/c for many Merk holds the key to redemption--just pop the "No Lust" pill in the morning and you won't desire anyone all day long; you know, it is no different than heartburn.

openairboy
 
All I can say besides what Ive posted is that being able to withhold your self from sinning is only by Grace from Christ. Were all born into sin from our human father Adam and because of that destined for hell but God in his mercy saved a few. I can no more stop being human then stop sinning its only of God that I can even ponder the possibility let alone have regenerate me. If God says were responsible were responsible.

blade
 
Keith: You are right that it is more complicated than just saying "you are accountable." Check out the resources I recommended.
 
[quote:fb68645763="Scott"]Keith: You are right that it is more complicated than just saying "you are accountable." Check out the resources I recommended.[/quote:fb68645763]

Thanks for the links. I will check them out and see what they have to offer.

openairboy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top