Typo in TBS edition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

py3ak

Unshaven and anonymous
Staff member
I have a TBS Bible - I think it's the 25A/BK. I've been very pleased with everything about it, but a couple of days ago I came across Jeremiah 41:13 (p. 811 in my edition) which reads:

Now it came to pass, that when all the people which were with Ishamel saw Johanan e son of Kareah, and all the captains of the forces that were with him, then they were glad.

I was wondering if others who have TBS Bibles would be willing to check if that same error shows up in their Bibles and report it here. If it is something that has happened in more than one copy I think TBS ought to be told. (If you missed it, in the phrase "Johanan e son of Kareah", "t" and "h" are missing from the word "the".)

My Royal Ruby Text TBS Bible does not have this mistake. I have other editions of TBS Bibles which I can check later. This one happens to be the one at hand.

I have a TBS Bible - I think it's the 25A/BK. I've been very pleased with everything about it, but a couple of days ago I came across Jeremiah 41:13 (p. 811 in my edition) which reads:

Now it came to pass, that when all the people which were with Ishamel saw Johanan e son of Kareah, and all the captains of the forces that were with him, then they were glad.

I was wondering if others who have TBS Bibles would be willing to check if that same error shows up in their Bibles and report it here. If it is something that has happened in more than one copy I think TBS ought to be told. (If you missed it, in the phrase "Johanan e son of Kareah", "t" and "h" are missing from the word "the".)

Ruben:

I just checked my new Calfskin Windsor Bible and it has the same typo. I also have some other TBS Bibles, but I haven't checked them yet. I'll (D.V.) post later (or tomorrow) what I find after doing so.

if you don't want it I would be willing to buy it off you at at a used price! I have no problems with using white out and a pen!

Ruben, you eagle-eyed anal retentive! I just checked my PS25U/BK Windsor Text Bible and . . . yes, it is as you have said.

My Windsor just came in the mail and already you have taken some of the blush off the apple for me. TBS may believe in the inerrancy of the Word of God in the original autographs. They do not produce an inerrant PS25U/BK, however. And, for the rest of time, the world will know that Ruben found the error! Hmmmm. You destroyer of inerrancy, you. And, to think, Glenn and I are the ones who went to Fuller, not you. :lol:

My Pitt Minion, which has held up remarkably well through the years, does not have this printing error. I agree with the earlier post that TBS would replace the Bible (assuming that they have a printed edition like yours that does not have the error) without question. I had an issue about two months ago with a Bible I purchased from there and they bent over backwards to accommodate me.

I bought three of them and they all have the typo.

My Classic Original (PS8U/BK) does not.

Textual criticism at its best! The scribe was probably reaching for a cup of coffee and thought he'd already written the "th".

I checked my other TBS Bibles, it's just my new Calfskin Windsor Bibles that have the mistake.

-----Added 6/29/2009 at 05:36:30 EST-----

I agree with the earlier post that TBS would replace the Bible (assuming that they have a printed edition like yours that does not have the error) without question. I had an issue about two months ago with a Bible I purchased from there and they bent over backwards to accommodate me.

I agree too.

What troubles me more than the error is that I am the only person reading Jeremiah. Why didn't Dennis find it? Because he slights the major prophets, that's why.

I suspect TBS will replace these bibles with the printing error upon request.

AMR

:agree:

TBS will definitely want to know about these errors.

I read an article, published by TBS, about an error in another edition. One word was missing. The error was corrected, Bibles were reprinted, and they offered replacements free of charge.

What troubles me more than the error is that I am the only person reading Jeremiah. Why didn't Dennis find it? Because he slights the major prophets, that's why.

Funny, the Greek and Hebrew texts that I work from don't seem to have the typo problems that you keep encountering with these English translations, Ruben. :lol:

וַיְהִי כִּרְאֹות כָּל־הָעָם אֲשֶׁר אֶת־יִשְׁמָעֵאל אֶת־יֹוחָנָן בֶּנ־קָרֵח וְאֵת כָּל־שָׂרֵי הַחֲיָלִים אֲשֶׁר אִתֹּו וַיִּשְׂמָחוְּ

But, as they always taught us at Fuller . . . better to have someone reading the Bible in English than not reading it in the original.

You don't have to prove yourself to us, Dennis. We've all known for some time that you can use an interlinear.

Added 6/29/09 21:04

By the way, I contacted TBS and let them know of the issue. I don't have a problem with the Bible and don't need a replacement (or have any desire to sell it - especially given that I only paid 9 dollars for it to begin with).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back