Bavinck Typo? -Need Help with Dutch

Status
Not open for further replies.

John The Baptist

Puritan Board Sophomore
Hello my friends,

Does anyone know Dutch? And if so, do you have access to Bavinck’s original Dogmatics? It seems to me that there is a typo on page 366 of volume 2 where Bavinck is discussing election and reprobation. Towards the end of the first paragraph on the page it seems ‘mercy’ has been substituted for ‘justice.’ I was going to let the publisher know but I don’t know if the mistake is original with Bavinck or not, in which case it ought to be left alone or maybe footnoted.

Or maybe I’m just dumb and don’t understand what he is saying.

Thanks,
John

You are correct:

I am glad the English version can be found at archive.org else I wouldn’t have the possibility to check it. https://archive.org/details/reformeddogmatic0002bavi/page/366/mode/1up At home I have the Dutch 4th unaltered print of 1928.

In the English I read: ‘and on the other hand how his mercy becomes manifest in reprobates by freely withholding from them the saving grace of God and giving them up to their sins.’

in Dutch: ‘en hoe anderzijds zijne gerechtigheid in de verworpenen openbaar zou worden in de vrije onthouding der zaligmakende genade Gods en in de overgave aan de zonden.’

The word what you are looking for in the Dutch sentence is ‘gerechtigheid’ and does mean justice.

You are correct:

I am glad the English version can be found at archive.org else I wouldn’t have the possibility to check it. https://archive.org/details/reformeddogmatic0002bavi/page/366/mode/1up At home I have the Dutch 4th unaltered print of 1928.

In the English I read: ‘and on the other hand how his mercy becomes manifest in reprobates by freely withholding from them the saving grace of God and giving them up to their sins.’

in Dutch: ‘en hoe anderzijds zijne gerechtigheid in de verworpenen openbaar zou worden in de vrije onthouding der zaligmakende genade Gods en in de overgave aan de zonden.’

The word what you are looking for in the Dutch sentence is ‘gerechtigheid’ and does mean justice.
Great. Thank you for confirming for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back