Underground dog fence experience/suggestions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EKSB SDG

Puritan Board Freshman
We have a large (approx. 75 lbs.) border collie/mix. Our current back yard (100' x 100') is fenced in with a five foot high chain link fence for this very friendly and active outside dog.

We will soon be moving to a new place which is on two acres and is mostly wooded. There's another 75 acres of woods adjacent to our new place. We are trying to figure out the best way to contain our dog at the new place.

I'm leaning towards installing an underground fence (as opposed to another chain link fence) on about one acre (split between woods and open area). Does anyone on PB have experience with underground dog fences that they could share?

My brother has three boxers. Two of them are terrified to go near the "border." One of them will run right for it, give a little yelp as he crosses it, and keep on truckin'. I guess it's all in the dog.

My brother has three boxers. Two of them are terrified to go near the "border." One of them will run right for it, give a little yelp as he crosses it, and keep on truckin'. I guess it's all in the dog.

Same experience I had. We had two dogs; the fence "worked" for one, not the other.

The problem with these "fences" is that they are porus. They keep "some" dogs in, but they do not keep the neighbor's dogs, skunks, coyotes, etc OUT of your yard. Many dogs learn to "time" the fence or "tolerate" the nick from the collar, as well.

While I've not owned one, these same types of experiences relayed to me by friends who've had them has kept us from getting one. Apparently, if you've got a dog that likes to push the limits, no electric fence will hold him in. We have three dogs, and I can tell which two would "jump" the fence.

We used four foot livestock wire fencing and posts on a section of our property for our dogs. It was cheap and easy to install. It's easy to move, as well, should the need arise.

Not the prettiest fence, but it does the trick. Plant some shrubs and in time you won't even notice it.

Keeps our two big German sheps on the property nicely and, as another poster mentioned, keeps other critters OUT.

The only way I've used it was in addition to our chain-link fence. Our Basenji would dig under that in no time, but it slowed her down enough to allow the underground fence to work. By itself I doubt it would have stopped her. It hasn't worked for years, but it is so engrained in her that she doesn't try to get out anymore.

I wouldn't rely on it for any sort of aggressive dog.

We used four foot livestock wire fencing and posts on a section of our property for our dogs. It was cheap and easy to install. It's easy to move, as well, should the need arise.

Not the prettiest fence, but it does the trick. Plant some shrubs and in time you won't even notice it.

Keeps our two big German sheps on the property nicely and, as another poster mentioned, keeps other critters OUT.

We did the same for our dogs several years ago, and it does work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back