Union With Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalvinandHodges

Puritan Board Junior
Greetings;

A recent discussion with a pastor friend of mine has elicited the following question: "Where do you think that Union with Christ belongs in the Ordo Salutis?"

Blessings,

Rob

I think it is in effectual calling:

WSC Q. 30. How doth the Spirit apply to us the redemption purchased by Christ?
A. The Spirit applieth to us the redemption purchased by Christ, by working faith in us, and thereby uniting us to Christ in our effectual calling.

LBC Chapter 3, Paragraph 5. Those of mankind that are predestinated to life, God, before the foundation of the world was laid, according to His eternal and immutable purpose, and the secret counsel and good pleasure of His will, hath chosen in Christ unto everlasting glory, out of His mere free grace and love,11 without any other thing in the creature as a condition or cause moving Him thereunto.

We are elect in Him from before the foundation of the world.

LBC Chapter 3, Paragraph 5. Those of mankind that are predestinated to life, God, before the foundation of the world was laid, according to His eternal and immutable purpose, and the secret counsel and good pleasure of His will, hath chosen in Christ unto everlasting glory, out of His mere free grace and love,11 without any other thing in the creature as a condition or cause moving Him thereunto.

We are elect in Him from before the foundation of the world.

We indeed are elected before the foundation of the world, but union does not take effect (No pun intended) until we are effectually called as Zach pointed out.

Greetings:

Ken has put the finger on the issue we were discussing. I agree with Zach and jandrusk above, but my pastor friend was saying that we were united to Christ at our Election before the foundation of the world. He cited Eph 1:4 to prove that we are united to Christ by our Election. However, Calvin seems to have a different idea in his Commentary on Ephesians:

In Christ. This is the second proof that the election is free; for if we are chosen in Christ, it is not of ourselves. It is not from a perception of anything that we deserve, but because our heavenly Father has introduced us, through the privilege of adoption, into the body of Christ. In short, the name of Christ excludes all merit, and everything which men have of their own; for when he says that we are chosen in Christ, it follows that in ourselves we are unworthy. (italix his).

Any thoughts?

Blessings,

Rob

Perhaps a look at another current thread would prove helpful:

http://www.puritanboard.com/f48/chosen-Christ-76689/

Perhaps union with Christ, like "salvation," should not and cannot be isolated as a single event. If union with Christ refers to the church being the bride of Christ, it seems that this union includes the now and not yet. The Father of the Bridegroom chose us - the church - before the foundation of the world, the Father and the Bridegroom revealed the marriage plan to us, the Bridegroom assured us of his love by his word and deeds, the Father gave us unmerited gifts that assured us of our acceptance into his family, and we are being prepared by the Holy Spirit for consummation of the marriage at the conclusion of the present age. The union, therefore, is not yet complete - although it has been and never will be in doubt.

The elect were 'in Christ' before the foundation of the world in the same way that all men were 'in Adam' at creation. This federal union is the ground of our actual union with Christ by faith.

Hodge on Eph 1:4

There is a federal union with Christ which is antecedent to all actual union, and is the source of it. God gave a people to his Son in the covenant of redemption. Those included in that covenant, and because they are included in it—in other words, because they are in Christ as their head and representative—receive in time the gift of the Holy Spirit and all other benefits of redemption. Their voluntary union with Christ by faith, is not the ground of their federal union, but, on the contrary, their federal union is the ground of their voluntary union. It is, therefore, in Christ, i. e. as united to him in the covenant of redemption, that the people of God are elected to eternal life and to all the blessings therewith connected.

The elect were 'in Christ' before the foundation of the world in the same way that all men were 'in Adam' at creation. This federal union is the ground of our actual union with Christ by faith.

Hodge on Eph 1:4

There is a federal union with Christ which is antecedent to all actual union, and is the source of it. God gave a people to his Son in the covenant of redemption. Those included in that covenant, and because they are included in it—in other words, because they are in Christ as their head and representative—receive in time the gift of the Holy Spirit and all other benefits of redemption. Their voluntary union with Christ by faith, is not the ground of their federal union, but, on the contrary, their federal union is the ground of their voluntary union. It is, therefore, in Christ, i. e. as united to him in the covenant of redemption, that the people of God are elected to eternal life and to all the blessings therewith connected.

At the same time this is not Eternal Justification.

Dr. Tipton and Dr. Horton had a great discussion on this topic at Reformed Forum. You can listen to the podcast
Justification and Union with Christ - Reformed Forum

Everything comes from our Union with Christ. Union with Christ is not a result of Justification by Faith Alone. The two fold of grace, justification by faith alone and sanctification, is a result of our Union with Christ. That is the Reformed view.

Union with Christ is effectual at the point at which He pours His Spirit upon us, in spiritual baptism and regeneration, and engrafts us into His mystical body forever. Faith that both justifies and sanctifies is the reflex action of a soul that has been united to Christ by regeneration. :2cents:

Greetings:

Thanks men. I think all of your posts were well articulated. What was not in dispute was the fact that God Elected us to be in union with Christ before the foundation of the world. What we did dispute was whether or not the Elect were actually in union with Christ at that time. The question was when does the Elect become united with Christ? Is it at Election (which is what my pastor friend has said) or, is it when we are Born Again (or slightly before) which is what I maintained. Below is my rationale:

John Calvin on Ephesians 1:4:

In Christ. This is the second proof that the election is free; for if we are chosen in Christ, it is not of ourselves. It is not from a perception of anything that we deserve, but because our heavenly Father has introduced us, through the privilege of adoption, into the body of Christ. In short, the name of Christ excludes all merit, and everything which men have of their own; for when he says that we are chosen in Christ, it follows that in ourselves we are unworthy. (italix his).

It seems to me that to say that we are somehow united to Christ when God Elected us before the foundation of the world would make null all of what Paul writes in Ephesians 2: "And you hath he quickened who were dead in tresspasses and sins; Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience..."

Election (God's choosing) is founded upon the good pleasure of God alone ("I will have mercy upon whom I will have mercy"). Francis Turretin continues:

"Next, the election of men is made in Christ [Eph 1:4]. Therefore it regards man as fallen because they cannot be elected in Christ except as to be redeemed and sanctified by him. Therefore, they are chosen as sinners and miserable. Not ought it to be replied that to be "chosen in Christ" is nothing else than to be chosen "by Christ" (not as Redeemer, but as God) to denote not the means, but the principal cause of election. For although it is not to be denied that Christ, as God, is the author of our election, yet it is plain that it cannot be so understood in this place. (1) We are said to be chosen in Christ in the same way as we are said to be blessed and redeemed in him (Eph 1:3,7). (2) It is confirmed by the parallel passage where grace is said to have been given us in Christ before the world began (2 Tim 1:9) - surely not as God simply, but as Mediator."

Christ as mediator, here, is thought of as holding onto the benefits of Election for us until we are actually converted. Prior to our Conversion/Regeneration we are "children of wrath, even as others." Eph 2:3.

Any thoughts?

Blessings,

Rob

From following this thread it appears that the terms "union with Christ" and "election" are being used as synomyns. I think we need to define the term, "union" to understand the scope of the term. What I mean is if take marriage as an example; The dictionary definition of union is, "The action or fact of joining together or being joined together, esp. in a political context." Now if this is what we mean by union, then I think election seals the union between Christ and the elect, but it is not implemented until the elect respond to the effectual call and receive Christ as Lord and Savior. So I think union in Christ is sealed in election that occurs before the foundation of the world, but is not experienced and realized by the recipient until they respond to the effectual call by faith in Christ as He is revealed to us in the gospel.

Union with Christ in the decretive and covenantal sense belongs to the 'historia'. Union with Christ in the effectual sense belongs to the 'ordo'. The former is the ground of the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back