Value of Different Interpretations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arapahoepark

Puritan Board Professor
What is the value of different interpretations? I am mostly talking about decidedly minor stuff, like prophets especially.

Lately, I've been running into so many different interpretations and I am like, "GAAH! Which one to choose!" It rather drives me nuts sometimes. So this is the word of God, why are there so many different conclusions on some stuff?
Thanks!
Hope your posts are insightful!

I value different translations for different things, depending on the context they're being used. I like using an NASB, when I don't have the Greek handy, and I'm involved in discussions hinged on key words. I prefer the ESV for my own personal study. I use the NIV or perhaps NLT when running a Youth/Children's study.

Each translation sets out to achieve different things ranging from a more literal word-for-word translation on one end and aiming to capture the main thought, sometimes at the expense of literalness, on the other end. With this in mind, translators may approach the text with various objectives resulting in a translation that might fall anywhere between literal-paraphrase.

Perhaps a practical example of the decision making that goes on when translating. In Papua New Guinea missionaries are aiming to have translations in their native PNG language. When approaching the Gospel of John, Jesus makes references to being the "bread of life". In Papua New Guinea, their staple food is rice, not bread. So should translators remain consistent in translating it "bread" and risk confusion? Or should they pick an equivalent of bread, namely rice, that will still convey the same idea?

In short. It's worthwhile owning a few translations to be able to cross-reference. Hope that is helpful!

Thanks for your help! However, my questions was a little different mostly regarding the interpretations of what a passage means...if that makes sense....
Thanks again though!

Some aspects/parts of Scripture are just more difficult to understand than others, and godly Reformed men who would agree on a lot of more basic things don't see eye to eye on these more difficult things.

Ephesians 2 teaches us that the Church has to grow into maturity through the illumination of the Word down the centuries. We are priviledged to ponder Scripture in the light that has been shed by godly reflection over the years.

Trent, my apologies for misinterpreting you!
I thought you meant interpretations regarding translations!

I guess it's the case that sinful men are coming to God's Word, we are bound to make mistakes. For some, no doubt there is a degree of pride in wanting to understand everything. For others it is coming to the text with (effectively) no intention in actually discovering what the text really means.

At the best of times, there is a lot that we don't know and won't know. Praise God that He has illumined the Scriptures to us, that we might understand the Gospel. What we don't know ought to keep us humble.

I second your frustration at finding contrasting conclusions though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back