WCF - Civil Magistrate - original vs. American

Status
Not open for further replies.

crhoades

Puritan Board Graduate
Does anyone know of any works that discusses the differences, the reasoning behind amending/changing it etc.? Everyone can throw there 2cents in here but I'm definitely looking for a longer study on it. Thanks in advance!
 
I'm right there with you Chris. I have heard good defenses of the revision, but never a good defense of the original.

One thing struck me yesterday as I was thinking of this very topic, and it was something Andrew mentioned about people today not regarding the "kingship" of Christ. Interesting point...something to think about as I study this.
 
Originally posted by Jeff_Bartel
........One thing struck me yesterday as I was thinking of this very topic, and it was something Andrew mentioned about people today not regarding the "kingship" of Christ. Interesting point...something to think about as I study this.

Read Messiah the Prince by William Symington......
 
Originally posted by puritancovenanter
Originally posted by Jeff_Bartel
........One thing struck me yesterday as I was thinking of this very topic, and it was something Andrew mentioned about people today not regarding the "kingship" of Christ. Interesting point...something to think about as I study this.

Read Messiah the Prince by William Symington......

:ditto: Other treatises written after 1789 which address (directly or indirectly) the major civil magistrate issues involved include Messiah, Governor of the Nations of the Earth by Alexander McLeod, The Two Sons of Oil by Samuel B. Wylie, Prince Messiah's Claim to Dominion Over All Governments and the Disregard of His Authority by the United States in the Federal Constitution by James R. Willson, Discussions of Church Principles by William Cunningham, Political Polytheism by Gary North, and the Testimonies of the Reformed Presbyterian Churches of North America and Ireland.
 
Originally posted by crhoades
Does anyone know the people or groups involved in adopting the revisions?

John Witherspoon was the moderator.

The first meeting of the General Assembly took place on the 21st day of May, 1789. The Assembly met in the Second Presbyterian Church, in the city of Philadelphia, and was opened with a sermon by the Rev. John Witherspoon, from 1st Cor., iii,7: "So, then, neither is he that planteth anything, neither he that watereth, but God that giveth the increase."

The following delgates appeared and took their seats:

Delegates at the First General Assembly -- May, 1789
Presbytery of Suffolk - Rev. Joshua Hart
Presbytery of Dutchess County - Rev. Benjamin Judd
Presbytery of New York - Rev. Dr. John Rodgers, Rev. Dr. Alexander McWhorter, Rev. Azel Roe, Rev. John Close
Presbytery of New Brunswick - Rev. Dr. John Witherspoon, Rev. Dr. Samuel S. Smith, Rev. James F. Armstrong. Elders, Mr. Nehemiah Dunham and Colonel Bayard
Presbytery of Philadelphia - Rev. James Sproat, Rev. Dr. George Duffield, Rev. Dr. John Ewing. Elders, Mr. Isaac Snowden, Mr. Ferguson McIlvaine and Mr. Elijah Clark
Presbytery of New Castle - Rev. Dr. Robert Smith, Rev. Dr. James Latta, and Rev. Thomas Read. Elders, Mr. Moses Irwin, Mr. Amos Slaymaker and Mr. John Crawford.
Presbytery of Lewes - Rev. Dr. Matthew Wilson
Presbytery of Baltimore - Rev. Dr. Patrick Allison
Presbytery of Carlisle - Rev. Robert Cooper, Rev. Thomas McPherrin and Rev. James Snodgrass. Elders, Mr. Samuel Edie and Mr. James Dixon
Presbytery of Redstone - Elder, Hon. John Baird
Presbytery of Lexington - Rev. Moses Hoge
Presbytery of South Carolina - Rev. Templeton

D.G. Hart and Lee Irons have written somewhat about the revisions.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top