WCF Scripture References

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristopherPaul

Puritan Board Senior
I am looking for a resource that shows all the scripture references contained in the WCF listed in "canological" order. Does anyone here know of anything in print or online?

[size=-1](come to think of it, what is the appropriate term to describe the sort order that follows the linear order of the books in the Protestant Bible?)[/size]

The OPC recently published a book titled, The Confession of Faith and Catechisms, that contains proof texts. There is an index to the proof texts in the back of that book.

The index is available in .pdf form here (from opc.org):
http://opc.org/documents/Scripture.pdf

Hope that helps! It's a neat resource!

Originally posted by StaunchPresbyterian
The OPC recently published a book titled, The Confession of Faith and Catechisms, that contains proof texts. There is an index to the proof texts in the back of that book.

The index is available in .pdf form here (from opc.org):
http://opc.org/documents/Scripture.pdf

Hope that helps! It's a neat resource!

THAT is exactly what I am looking for!

Thank you Casey!

I think these are the PCUSA proof texts with any changes the OPC made; these will not match up exactly with the original proof texts of the Westminster Assembly.

Originally posted by NaphtaliPress
I think these are the PCUSA proof texts with any changes the OPC made; these will not match up exactly with the original proof texts of the Westminster Assembly.
The Preface [here] seems to suggest that the text of the Confession is (essentially) that of the PCUSA from before the 1903 revisions, so I suppose that would include the proof texts, too. I have no idea the extent to which they were revised. But, you are right, they won't line up with the originals.

[Edited on 2-9-2006 by StaunchPresbyterian]

The OPC has changed the proof texts to the Confession and Larger Catechism. I'm not sure if that site is referring to the original or the changed proof texts. But Stephen Pribble, an OPC minister, has compiled a Scripture Index to the original Westminster Standards, which is available in published form here, and online here.

Thank you Sean!

I think I may take one of my bibles (not my primary one that I read day to day) and convert it into a Westminster Study Bible by highlighting all the scripture references. It is good to see what verses in their context are cited as reason for what we believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back