Webhosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
I am interested in setting up a website (again) and am wanting the cheapest website possible. I can still remember when isp's supplied web hosting but sadly that is no longer the case.

As I recall my webhost upped the price considerably after the first year and I felt I was being held to ransom.

Q1. If the webhost supplies the domain address I assume that they retain "ownership" when you wish to move elsewhere thius meaning you have to start from scratch again - correct?

Q2. Who is the cheapest? I do not require much more than basic web pages and an email account (I guess I could use my own email account or set up a hotmail account)

I realise that there are all sorts of bells and whistles which could be added and upgrade the package but I am really looking to spend £20 a year not per month. I fully realise that most folks will ignore the word basic and try to up-sell so I will clarify that in my responses.

Eoghan,

1. You own the domain name. I never recommend you buy the domain bundled with web hosting. It's better to register with a registrar like icannwholesale.com or godaddy.com and then point it to your website. If your domain is already with a particular hosting provider then both provide the means to transfer your domain to the registrar. Bottom line: maintain control of your domain names with a domain registrar. Purchase your hosting elsewhere.

2. Depends on how "basic" you want it. If you want a really basic site you could probably just go to wordpress.com with a free site and then set up your domain to point to that site.

Going along with what Rich stated, if you are going to use WordPress then wordpress.com is the way to go. If you are not going to use WordPress then you might consider - http://www.witnesstoday.org/
They provide free web hosting for Christians. The bottom of their front page shows a list of features. They are the host I use.

You own the domain name. I never recommend you buy the domain bundled with web hosting. It's better to register with a registrar like icannwholesale.com or godaddy.com and then point it to your website.

How would you like full-service hosting for free? No downside! Dozens of apps including wordpress of course, unlimited email With unlimited just about everything. I could handle your domain name if you want with you retaining full ownership. PM me if you want to know more details or set up a time to talk over the phone. I could give you a temporary login to a website control panel so you can have a look around and see what free can get you. :)

https://asmallorange.com has a package that starts at $2.92/month. They are my go to webhost. I've never had any issues with them, servers run great, site never lags, multiple platforms to choose from (WP, Drupal, Joomla, etc) quick and easy setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back