What are the criteria for a ministry to be under the oversight of the local Church?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raderag

Puritan Board Sophomore
What are the criteria for a ministry to be under the oversight of the local Church?

I realize that PB is submits itself to the Church, but is this by necessity or by preference?

When does a ministry need to submit itself to the Church?

For example, I would say that obviously any para-church organization that teaches, preaches, performs sacraments, etc needs to be under the authority of a church.

I would say that a group of friends emailing each other on an email list need not be (individuals should be obviously).

What about something in between? An organization that seeks to educate other Christians through articles, discussion, etc?(on a much smaller scale and informal extent that PB)

I can speak to this because I came out of a parachurch ministry. The Navigators were a good place for me to start but it had it's shortfall. I honestly believe that so called parachurch ministries ought to be extensions of Ministries such as the PCA or some other Formal denomination. They need to be under the direct authority of Ordained Elders. If they are not discipline issues arise no matter what. We live in a fallen world. Plus, that is the way Ministry is set up according to the scripture. I believe Home biblestudies are the same way. They need to be under the authority of the Church. I am not saying you shouldn't be able to talk about the Bible without specific permission. I am just saying that Christ has set up an order for a reason. Ministry should be tied into the order set up by Christ. If it isn't you have people administering sacraments and doing things they are not qualified to do. This harms people and the Faith.

Originally posted by puritancovenanter
I can speak to this because I came out of a parachurch ministry. The Navigators were a good place for me to start but it had it's shortfall. I honestly believe that so called parachurch ministries ought to be extensions of Ministries such as the PCA or some other Formal denomination. They need to be under the direct authority of Ordained Elders. If they are not discipline issues arise no matter what. We live in a fallen world. Plus, that is the way Ministry is set up according to the scripture. I believe Home biblestudies are the same way. They need to be under the authority of the Church. I am not saying you shouldn't be able to talk about the Bible without specific permission. I am just saying that Christ has set up an order for a reason. Ministry should be tied into the order set up by Christ. If it isn't you have people administering sacraments and doing things they are not qualified to do. This harms people and the Faith.

I am in complete agreemnet here, but what about a group that just posts some articles and has a small discussion board?

We have Elers and People who are in authority over this board. It is not an ordained congregation. We are just a group of believers who do not share in the sacraments together, unless we attend church together. This board is moderated and watched for the protection of its members by ordained Elders. I believe Matt and the Administrators are plugged in and responsible for what is done on this board. We are a community of believers who communicate, edify, and learn from each. I don't believe this can be classified as a local congregation...even though we are all members of the body of Christ, hopefully. We do have ordained Elders moderating us as extensions of their ministries in their home churches hopefully.

For the record, everything I do, this to include my participation on this board, is overseen by my local church, my pastor and elders, as well as this community.

I do not know how this has operated historically in Presbyterian churches who have members who are publishers, but in publishing books I have always been cognizant that I'm subject ultimately to my local session for the material; though generally I'm on safe ground sticking with historically recognized and approved authors. I stay away from living authors.:)

:ditto:

But let's make it more specific - every Christian on this board is accountable to thier elders for what they say and the manner in which they say it.

Titus 3:2, "to speak evil of no one, to be peaceable, gentle, showing all humility to all men. "

1 Timothy 6:3-5 If anyone teaches otherwise and does not consent to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which accords with godliness, 4 he is proud, knowing nothing, but is obsessed with disputes and arguments over words, from which come envy, strife, reviling, evil suspicions, 5 useless wranglings of men of corrupt minds and destitute of the truth, who suppose that godliness is a means of gain. From such withdraw yourself.

Romans 16:17 Now I urge you, brethren, note those who cause divisions and offenses, contrary to the doctrine which you learned, and avoid them.

That means that we are all officially under the juridiction of our elders.

Secondly, Moderators and Admins are also accountable on a higher level than just one who posts because they must moderate with discernment and godliness.

Thirdly, Scott and I, who own the board, are directly accountable for what happens on our board before our church, and the session of our church. They have their God-given directives to oversee our soul, and that means the things we write, say and post.

Hebrews 13:17 Obey those who rule over you, and be submissive, for they watch out for your souls, as those who must give account. Let them do so with joy and not with grief, for that would be unprofitable for you.

Its by necessity that the PB is under the jurisdiction of our elders.

[Edited on 8-16-2005 by webmaster]

:amen: Matt! The efforts in submission to Christ's church @ PB are appreciated...and unusual on the net.

Thank you Matt and Scott! (and moderators)

:pray2:

Robin

Originally posted by webmaster
:ditto:

But let's make it more specific - every Christian on this board is accountable to thier elders for what they say and the manner in which they say it.

Titus 3:2, "to speak evil of no one, to be peaceable, gentle, showing all humility to all men. "

1 Timothy 6:3-5 If anyone teaches otherwise and does not consent to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which accords with godliness, 4 he is proud, knowing nothing, but is obsessed with disputes and arguments over words, from which come envy, strife, reviling, evil suspicions, 5 useless wranglings of men of corrupt minds and destitute of the truth, who suppose that godliness is a means of gain. From such withdraw yourself.

Romans 16:17 Now I urge you, brethren, note those who cause divisions and offenses, contrary to the doctrine which you learned, and avoid them.

That means that we are all officially under the juridiction of our elders.

Secondly, Moderators and Admins are also accountable on a higher level than just one who posts because they must moderate with discernment and godliness.

Thirdly, Scott and I, who own the board, are directly accountable for what happens on our board before our church, and the session of our church. They have their God-given directives to oversee our soul, and that means the things we write, say and post.

Hebrews 13:17 Obey those who rule over you, and be submissive, for they watch out for your souls, as those who must give account. Let them do so with joy and not with grief, for that would be unprofitable for you.

Its by necessity that the PB is under the jurisdiction of our elders.

[Edited on 8-16-2005 by webmaster]

Matt, this makes sense to me. My question is as follows. If one were to start a very informal website with a collection of articles, discussion board, etc (mostly amoung friends), should they just mention it to an elder along with an address, or do they need to ask that elder to oversee it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back