What exactly is under the Enemy's control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VerticalLiftEnjoyer

Puritan Board Freshman
I was listening to a German soldier's song the other day, and a thought came to mind:

"What if this song is of the devil?"

Sure, it's not an evil song in itself--far less ungodly than the other music released in its time; but it is a lamentation sung by sinners, and I wonder if the Devil had any say in the construction of the song.

In 1 John 5:19, it says that the whole world is under the power of the evil one; so is every little thing of the devil, even things "indifferent"? The devil tempted Christ by offering Him the whole world; but when God gives us a good house and job, if only for a little while, we know that that is not of the devil, and something to thank God for.

This sermon by J.C. Philpot seemed to hold some weight for the argument that everything in this world is of the devil, but his wrath against alcohol threw me for a loop. I know Britain has had many problems with alcohol, but it just made me confused instead of convicted.

I don't know if the sermon (to which you posted the link) was a message you heard, prompting you to think about an earlier or later personal engagement with a creation of men in light of the sermon's thrust. Yet, the question you raise appears needlessly speculative, to me. I would worry less about the question, "If..." something is from the devil; and confine me to concerns about the things that definitely appear to be devilish or inspired of evil. If a thing leads me to sin--irrespective of what it may do more or less to others--then I must avoid that thing. If a thing bothers my conscience, though it bothers no one else, I should keep my conscience with integrity by God's assistance. Has the devil had any say in the construction of my automobile? How about the internet? These seem like the same species of question, and much dwelling on them could lead us to paralysis.

Let's be less concerned that some old (or new) music is too worldly; and more focused on the fact that God has given all gifts including that of making and enjoying music. It is possible to make and enjoy many musical creations, even if composed by a godless person, to the glory of God when it is acknowledged that he has made all things beautiful in their time, Ecc.3:11. Not everyone shares the same musical taste, and some music is arguably ugly and unworthy of the approval of anyone at any time; while some difficult music is suitable to unique situations, and some music seems almost universal in its appeal. Why any of these are so seem like legitimate topics of conversation; and yet some familiarity with whatever the subject matter happens to be means that I will have had some interaction with the music.

Maybe an analytical review of this piece or that, with spiritual consideration of its themes or words, is something worth a believer's engagement and conversation. It's likely not everyone's cup of tea, just like how some sports team or league is not what everyone wants to talk about. I recommend, if you want to draw more partners into such a dialog, try taking up something specific from the song/video you invited others to know about and offering a critique.

I’m just worried about “boiling the frog”, so to speak. Slowly giving the devil access to my heart is what I fear most, and I’m worried that one day I’ll be listening to Russian folk music, and a month later I’ll be neck-deep in hardcore or black metal.

I know God is ultimately sovereign over the devil, commanding the littlest detail of their actions; but I’m still ignorant as to how he “infects” people, so to speak. I know he accuses, and that he can pester and inflict with spiritual woe, but he can also enter people’s hearts and manipulate them there, and giving place to that is my great fear. Not so much a matter of conscience as it is a matter of genuine fear.

I’m just worried about “boiling the frog”, so to speak. Slowly giving the devil access to my heart is what I fear most, and I’m worried that one day I’ll be listening to Russian folk music, and a month later I’ll be neck-deep in hardcore or black metal.

I know God is ultimately sovereign over the devil, commanding the littlest detail of their actions; but I’m still ignorant as to how he “infects” people, so to speak. I know he accuses, and that he can pester and inflict with spiritual woe, but he can also enter people’s hearts and manipulate them there, and giving place to that is my great fear. Not so much a matter of conscience as it is a matter of genuine fear.
I don't know you personally, so I don't really know what sort of predilections afflict you. But your description of a possible trajectory from something probably innocuous to possibly toxic in very (astonishingly?) short order seems unlikely for the average Joe. And if unlikely, then unworthy of desperate fear. Statistically, you are more likely to be in a deadly car accident, or struck by lightning; yet most of us still drive around, and may do so even if it is storming in our neighborhood.

Do you believe God loves his own, and protects them? Does he not surround us with the armies of heaven? Listen to beauty and find good in creation, giving thanks to God, 1Cor.10:30; Rom.14:6. By doing and living unto God, you are doing the opposite of giving place to the devil. Living in constant fear of every mundane potential for an attack is not living by faith. It is not loving what you ought, even God, for perfect love casts out fear. Fear is not the life God saved you to live. Avoid the folk music if you must, to be in good conscience; but find some way to acknowledge the many good gifts of God that in spite of the fall clutter this word that he made and ultimately governs.

There is nothing in this world that sin has not already affected. There is nothing that cannot be twisted to an evil end. There is not one single "safe space" on this globe. Therefore, all we can do is live by faith. All we can do is trust God to keep his promise toward us, never to leave or forsake us, always to work for our good, only to allow testing of our faith by such as is common to human experience with relief, ever to hear us when we cry to him for help, for mercy, for wisdom and grace.

Is.41:10 "Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.... 13 For I the Lord thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee."

Your zeal to avoid what is damaging is commendable. We should always avoid being influenced by demons, because the earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof.

At the same time, goodness is widely present. The devil is not the source of anything good, but only the diligent corrupter of God's gifts. And so we should open our mouths wide, that God may fill them (Psalm 81:10); we should receive every creature with thanks; we should do all to the glory of God, because the earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof.

Paul uses that double quotation of Psalm 24 in 1 Corinthians 10:26, 28. The first time I think the emphasis falls on the word earth: "The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof." As something that exists, the substratum of good in it comes from God. The second time I think the emphasis is elsewhere: "The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof." We use everything in service to God, because he is more to us than all his world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back