What happens to infants when they die?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruben100

Puritan Board Freshman
Where do the children go who die in infancy if you are a baptist and Jeremiah 31 only speaks of regenerate individuals who Know The Lord in the NC
In the canons of the synod of dort article 17 Children of Believers Who Die in Infancy
Since we are to judge of the will of God from his Word, which testifies that the children of believers are holy, not by nature, but in virtue of the covenant of grace, in which they together with the parents are comprehended, godly parents ought not to doubt the election and salvation of their children whom it pleases God to call out of this life in their infancy.
Strict Baptist I assume would reject this article.
I remember some some time back that John MacArthur was asked by Larry King where the infants or children were who died in the 9-11 towers John said heaven. Dont quote me but it was something like this. I think he refered to 2 samuel 12 where David says "I will go to him, but he will not return to me"
Paul how can baptists refer to this passage concerning infants in the OC administration?

infants

reuben:
Here is the 1689 confession on the infant question:

3._____ Elect infants dying in infancy are regenerated and saved by Christ through the Spirit; who worketh when, and where, and how he pleases; so also are all elect persons, who are incapable of being outwardly called by the ministry of the Word.
( John 3:3, 5, 6; John 3:8 )

In reference to the meaning of being taught of God,there is an interesting verse dealing with individual election and effectual calling in JN.6:45;
45It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

The elect are taught of God,effectually drawn , and openly confess Christ savingly before men. They do this individually, not nationally. Those who come in this way are never cast out. There is no covenant that can be broken as it is the eternal covenant of redemption in view.
As long as Jn . 6:37-45 is in the bible, those taught of God will perservere as the Lord will keep them, working in and through them for His good pleasure.
As a main theme and thread in Hebrews is that which is,"better" "true" and "eternal" it is no surprise that Hebrews 8 speaking of a New Exodus In Christ, Jer.31 is quoted in this way.
Jer 31/Heb.8 is a reality now . For those who have the Holy Spirit indwelling them.
This reality is spoken of all throughout the Nt. The verses blend together. They are not isolated like a bucket full of bb's. Like here in Romans 8

9But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

10And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

11But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

12Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.

13For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

14For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

15For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

16The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

The teaching is consistent throughout. Sometimes out theology might not be as consistent as it should be.

I started a new thread upon Anthony's reply. I don't want this discussion to sidetrack the OP of the original thread.

Have at it guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back