What is a Puritan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkicklig

Puritan Board Freshman
I don't think reformed and puritan are synonymous, but it seems that way in some of the discussions. We all seem headed in the same direction theologically, but differ when it comes to practical orthodoxy. Ie. views of the Sabbath, personal piety, application of the 10 commandments, etc.

Is there a common definition of Puritan held on this board?:puzzled:

Historically speaking....

Reformed - the differecne between the Swiss reformers following Calvin on the sacraments and theology, and the Lutherans and Catholics of the day.

Today, it means just about anything you want it to.

Puritan - the negative connotation of those ministers involved in reforming (purifying) the Church of England between 1560-1670 (or so).

Today the term is negative meaning "unfun, joyless and staunch."

On this board, it depends who you ask and you will get different answers.

I would say that someone is reformed who follows after the swiss theological formulations of Calvin through to the Enlgish and Dutch Theologians who rested on Calvin, and subsequently Augustine.

I would say a Puritan is someone who desires to see the church pure and free from sin, and theologically coherent in its unity, theology and sacraments.

Both of those are basically retiterations of their historical meanings.

[quote:4167afaf9e][i:4167afaf9e]Originally posted by webmaster[/i:4167afaf9e]
Historically speaking....

Reformed - the differecne between the Swiss reformers following Calvin on the sacraments and theology, and the Lutherans and Catholics of the day.

Today, it means just about anything you want it to.

Puritan - the negative connotation of those ministers involved in reforming (purifying) the Church of England between 1560-1670 (or so).

Today the term is negative meaning "unfun, joyless and staunch."

On this board, it depends who you ask and you will get different answers.

I would say that someone is reformed who follows after the swiss theological formulations of Calvin through to the Enlgish and Dutch Theologians who rested on Calvin, and subsequently Augustine.

I would say a Puritan is someone who desires to see the church pure and free from sin, and theologically coherent in its unity, theology and sacraments.

Both of those are basically retiterations of their historical meanings. [/quote:4167afaf9e]

The White Horse Inn is currently in a 4 program series on the Puritans.

I guess a major defining characteristic of Puritanism is the pursuit of applied or experimental Calvinism to every aspect of life, especially worship. This is what made Puritanism stand out.

Were not the original Puritans extremely strict? Prohibiting singing, dancing , and sports?

Were the original puritans offiially called that? or was it a name given to them from the outsiders?

They were strict, for the glory of God.
Where those activities took place was like being in a barroom. Christians, for instance, today, would not go to a strip club (they best not!). When they talked of theaters, dancing, dice games, etc. in their day it was like the strip club.

The name puritan was given to them by those opposed to them. It began as a derrogatory term much like the word "Christian."

[quote:729fbaf014][i:729fbaf014]Originally posted by webmaster[/i:729fbaf014]
They were strict, for the glory of God.
Where those activities took place was like being in a barroom. Christians, for instance, today, would not go to a strip club (they best not!). When they talked of theaters, dancing, dice games, etc. in their day it was like the strip club.

The name puritan was given to them by those opposed to them. It began as a derrogatory term much like the word "Christian." [/quote:729fbaf014]

Thanks. I wondered about that.

Were the Puritans of any particular denomination? or were they a mix like the members of this forum?

[quote:30de3848a3][i:30de3848a3]Originally posted by A_Wild_Boar[/i:30de3848a3]
Were not the original Puritans extremely strict? Prohibiting singing, dancing , and sports?

Were the original puritans offiially called that? or was it a name given to them from the outsiders? [/quote:30de3848a3]

I am not sure about dancing, but they did drink beer. Also, it could be said that the early Christians were even stricter than the Puritans. Puritanism is only strict when contrasted to those in renaissance Europe and modern America. Also, I think that Puritans were one of the first groups since medival times to rediscover that obedience was first from within and not by following rules.

Puritans and Demonimational lines - Interestingly enough, strictly speaking, they were of all sorts. To be labeled a Puritan would be to have been against the Church of Enlgand and the prayer book (and a few other sundries). However, you could be Episcopalian, Congregationalist, Presbyterian, even Arminian and still be a puritan in this regard. We often use the phrase "the good puritans" because we don't want people like John Owen and Thomas Watson confused with Arminians. The good puritans are "the puritans" that we often speka about today. No one writes books about Arminian puritans. For the most part, Puritans were Calvinisitic and held to a very high church service and liturgy guided by the Word.

[quote:b3f1ba7645][i:b3f1ba7645]Originally posted by A_Wild_Boar[/i:b3f1ba7645]
[/quote:b3f1ba7645]

The Puritans were too busy loving and enjoying Christ to have any interest in these things. Anything that hindered communion with God was removed. I wish I could say the same....

[quote:cb2934ae56]The Puritans were too busy loving and enjoying Christ to have any interest in these things. Anything that hindered communion with God was removed. I wish I could say the same.... [/quote:cb2934ae56]

Me too but I dont think I would enjoy being Amish. J/K Actually I think that would be the only way for me sometimes, (not becomming Amish or anything like that) but there are too many things to distract a weakling like me. Sometimes I just want to get away from the trppings and distractions of modern life and live s simpler life. But I would bring with me a sinful heart and my trouble would not end.

[Edited on 2-21-2004 by A_Wild_Boar]

[Edited on 2-21-2004 by A_Wild_Boar]

puritan antidisestablishmentarianism

The original puritans sought to reform all of society starting with the Kirk. They should be contrasted with disenters who left the battle for the reform of the state Church and formed chapels outside of the established Church.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back