What Is Meant By "Chalcedonian Definitions?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMK

Administrator
Staff member
What does M. D. Hooker mean by the phrase "Chalcedonian definitions" in this passage of her article titled, "Beyond the Things That Are Written?"

"...we are quite confident that the Deuteronomic command to leave an ox unmuzzled was not intended as a hidden command about Christian ministers, that the story of Moses' veil has nothing to do with the refusal of Jews to recognize the truth of the gospel, that it is improper to read back Chalcedonian definitions into New Testament terminology."
 
Hello, Ken,

Chalcedonian Definitions is but another name for – as Phil intimated above – the Chalcedonian Creed. I had not heard of Morna D. Hooker before. What sort of New Testament scholar is she? Can you share / send the article to me (too many paywalls for me to get it).
 
Hello, Ken,

Chalcedonian Definitions is but another name for – as Phil intimated above – the Chalcedonian Creed. I had not heard of Morna D. Hooker before. What sort of New Testament scholar is she? Can you share / send the article to me (too many paywalls for me to get it).

I have never heard the term used in the plural before. Do you think she is referring to the entire Chalcedonian Definition or just the paragraph about the natures of Christ?

My copy of the article is in the book "The Right Doctrine from the Wrong Texts?" ed. by Beale.
 
Thanks, Ken. I think I have Beale's book, but it would be in storage waiting till our new apartment is renovated and ready to move ourselves & goods into it. Does Beale approve the article by Hooker, or critique it?
 
I have never heard the term used in the plural before. Do you think she is referring to the entire Chalcedonian Definition or just the paragraph about the natures of Christ?

My copy of the article is in the book "The Right Doctrine from the Wrong Texts?" ed. by Beale.
I am curious, what is the context? Seems fishy...
 
Beale's book is an edited compilation of essays by people with a wide variety of views, so he did not explicitly commend or condemn it.

I haven't read Morna Hooker's article (she taught at Cambridge, so it's fair to infer that her view is unlikely to be as conservative as ours). The point she seems to be making is that just as (what she takes as given) we shouldn't assume that the New Testament writers had the fully worked out Trinitarian theology of Chalcedon in mind when they wrote, so too the NT writers are using the OT sources in creative ways.

To which I would reply (and I think Greg would say something similar), "It all depends what you mean by creative". From my perspective, when Paul reads the Chalcedonian formulations in heaven, his response is "Yes! That's exactly what I meant, even if I didn't work it all out like that". Not "Huh? What? What are you guys talking about? I never meant you to define God like this!"

In the same way, we can all agree that the OT authors didn't have a full understanding of exactly what the NT reveals. To use Warfield's image, in the OT the authors are bumping around in a darkened room, while the NT turns on the lights. But the lights merely reveal with stunning clarity the furniture that was there all along, not some entirely different room.

By the way (pet peeve), her comments about not muzzling oxen and paying pastors are a classic example of what happens when you abandon the classic threefold description of the law as moral, civil and ceremonial, as NT writers often do because "The NT doesn't ever divide the law up like that". You then lose the category of "General equity", which helps us to apply civil laws to different cultural contexts. Of course the Mosaic law about oxen isn't thinking specifically about pastors, any more than the law about helping your neigbor's ox out of a ditch is thinking about a broken-down motorist beside the road. But it is embodying a general principle of God's wisdom in a specific form that fitted that cultural context, from which we are intended to draw wider applications of the same principle in our own context. So Paul is absolutely not "being creative" in applying that OT text to the NT context. He's doing exactly what we should do with Civil laws: learning from them how God wants us to behave in analogous contexts.
 
Hello, Ken,

Chalcedonian Definitions is but another name for – as Phil intimated above – the Chalcedonian Creed. I had not heard of Morna D. Hooker before. What sort of New Testament scholar is she? Can you share / send the article to me (too many paywalls for me to get it).
She was a fairly acclaimed academic scholar. She was careful in her analyses but never produced anything earth-shaking.
 
Interesting fact: it’s called (I believe) the Chalcedonian Definition (not the Chalcedonian creed) because after the Athanasian creed was put forth, the church decided not to make any more creeds.
 
Interesting fact: it’s called (I believe) the Chalcedonian Definition (not the Chalcedonian creed) because after the Athanasian creed was put forth, the church decided not to make any more creeds.
I'm not so sure about that. "Creed" is just an Englishing of "Credo" ("I believe") which is the first word of the Apostolic and Nicene Creeds in the Latin version. It is common in Latin to refer to prayers and songs by their first one or two words. For example, the Lord's Prayer is called the Pater Noster ("Our Father").
The Chalcedonian definition would just not be a Creed because it doesn't start with the word "Credo."
The more proper, historical name for a Creed is symbolum, "symbol."
 
I'm not so sure about that. "Creed" is just an Englishing of "Credo" ("I believe") which is the first word of the Apostolic and Nicene Creeds in the Latin version. It is common in Latin to refer to prayers and songs by their first one or two words. For example, the Lord's Prayer is called the Pater Noster ("Our Father").
The Chalcedonian definition would just not be a Creed because it doesn't start with the word "Credo."
The more proper, historical name for a Creed is symbolum, "symbol."
Good to know! Apologies to everyone for offering false information. I’ll make sure to double check before making claims I’m not sure about in the future.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top