What is space and time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because time and space are relative and at times (no pun intended) interrelated terms their definitions will be relative (i.e., relative to the frame of reference a person uses to define it ). For example, time is often defined relative to motion or flow. However, metaphysically and biblically this does not help us finite creatures grasp the fact that the infinite God we love is outside of time. Moreover, many students of the Word and even young students of philosophy will try to conceive of God as an “everlasting present.”

The problem with this conception is that it uses “time categories” and therefore implicitly puts God in time. Moreover it muddies the water as to what it means for God to be timeless (years ago my professor, a renown Christian philosopher, pointed this fact out to me by docking me a whole grade for my inconsistent thinking).

in my opinion, the best definition, though not perfect, was put forth by Augustine in which he defined time as “successive thoughts in a finite mind.” If one chews a little on this definition they will see some vital applications—both theologically and metaphysically.

JWJ

Wow. 'Time' for me to find a different thread before I 'space' out.

Somebody said time and space are equivalencies. What bearing does that have on this discussion?

Time travel is not possible.

1. If time travel were possible, then it would be possible to go back in time and kill my grandmother.
2. It is not possible that I go back in time and kill my grandmother (I'd have no way of doing it if I did it)
3. Therefore, time travel is not possible.

Is the fact that space as we see it has three dimensions ( height, breadth, depth) and time as we experience it has three dimensions (past, present and future) a pointer to the Triunity???

Space and time are two things that we, in our own lives, never seem to have enough of, nor do we give proper thanks to the Lord for what of it we do have.

Theognome

Time travel is not possible.

1. If time travel were possible, then it would be possible to go back in time and kill my grandmother.
2. It is not possible that I go back in time and kill my grandmother (I'd have no way of doing it if I did it)
3. Therefore, time travel is not possible.

Not if you take into account God's foreordination of every event that transpires in space and time. Because he foreordained everything that comes to pass, it is not possible that such a contradiction could exist. Any "changes" a time traveler makes would have already been made before he left.

It would be similar to Satan trying to foil God's plan by killing his Son. He ended up playing right into God's hands.

Is the fact that space as we see it has three dimensions ( height, breadth, depth) and time as we experience it has three dimensions (past, present and future) a pointer to the Triunity???

Time doesn't have three dimensions. It's like a line--one-dimensional. Past and future are half of the line, while the present is a point on that line. Roughly. Maybe.

...but to answer your question, it's possible. Maybe every combination of threes is a pointer to the Trinity. But then what does the fact that there are nine planets point to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back