What is the best systematic

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattbauer

Puritan Board Freshman
I'm looking to buy a good systematic theology.

Right now i'm sorta deciding between
R.L. Dabney
Reymond
Rushdoony
Berkhof

Does anybody have a recomendation or one i did not list that you have found most helpful and easiest for a beginner in systematics?

I have had about six and can't say I have plowed through any but Dabney. I have used pieces of Berkof and Hodge. Reading Dabney makes me feel like I am listening to his lectures.

You may also wanna look into getting James Montgomery Boice's Foundations of the Christian Faith. It may be a better place for you to start out.

Here is a link to see the Book.

[Edited on 10-15-2005 by puritancovenanter]

Do you own Calvin's Institutes?

If not, there is no reason to even ask. It starts with Calvin.

You can find Dabney's Systematic online I believe. You may also be able to find others such as Calvin's Institutes. You can download the Institutes for free from e-sword.

I would read through at least book one and two of Calvin's Institutes first (if not the whole thing) and then look at Berkhof. Berkhof is really helpful for understanding confessional Presbyterian theology in a fairly modern context.

My favorite is Turretin. I find him to be so much more helpful than others.
My favorite "modern" theology is Grudem. It is hands down the best written.

I have nothing else to spend my money on, so i'll purchase all of them, and read them all eventually. I think i'll start with Calvin. I am reading through his commentaries now.

I think Chris makes a great point!

I would first begin with the Reformed standards in order to have a balanced frame work to interpret the other fine works that people have recommended. The standards are consensus documents that have been developed within the context of the church and therefore in my opinion carry much more weight then the writings of a single theologian, even one as brilliant as John Calvin.

Originally posted by AdamM
I think Chris makes a great point!

I shall print out and frame your post! and show it to my wife...:lol:

Joking aside - I've begun a study of the WCF for a pastoral intern program and have read and listened to a ton of information on Ch. 1 alone on Holy Scripture and am blown away. It is so rich!

Regarding possible resources for confessional study, I would recommend Williamson on the WCF. Also, in terms of systematic theologies, don't forget Hodge later on.

I actually just recently purchased Hodge's systematic theology 3 vol edition and got it at the great price of 23.49 with shipping woohoo. I am going to mardel's today to pick up a copy of the WCF for study classes 2nd edition by Williamson.

Just realized there are two. Should I Get the WCF or the WSC? I do know the differences but which one is better for a starting student?

Here is an excellent free download that contains most, if not all of the Reformed Confessions, (Westminster Standards, Three Forms of Unity and several others) as well as the ecumenical creeds (Apostle's, Nicene, Athanasian)

http://www.tulip.org/refcon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back