What is the minimum level of qualifications...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton Bruckner

Puritan Board Professor
to be an elder (education wise). I know that an elder must be skillful in the word, but how is "skillful in the word", manifested today. Should the elder have at least a bachelors or a masters degree from seminary or its equivalent? And how do we measure the equivalent? Should churches give out exams for those seeking the position of elder?

I believe that traditional (and currently) the master's of divinity is requisite to fill the position of minister. This includes one being able to show the capability to exegete the Word (OT & NT) correctly, which includes a knowledge of the original languages etc. One also must have a working knowledge of several areas of Theology including Systematics, Church History, Apologetics, Hermeneutics and others.

Before ordination, one must be examined by the presbytery of his denomination, wherein his skills and knowledge of the scriptures will be tested.

Of course, to be ordained, one must also subscribe to a reformed confession, most commonly the 3FU or the Westminster Standards.

This is a very brief run-down as I understand it, and I am positive that one of the pastors on the board will be able to give you more details.

to be an elder (education wise). I know that an elder must be skillful in the word, but how is "skillful in the word", manifested today. Should the elder have at least a bachelors or a masters degree from seminary or its equivalent? And how do we measure the equivalent? Should churches give out exams for those seeking the position of elder?

To be a teaching elder in the PCA, one must have completed an interimship followed by the additional requirements as listed in Chapter 21 of the Book of Church Order of the PCA, which can be viewed online. http://www.pcaac.org/BCO 2007 Combined for Web.pdf

DTK

Regarding ruling elders...

There are some qualifications that are indispensable and non-negotiable (faith, being a man, etc.). But most of the other qualifications are on something of a sliding scale. That is, "apt to teach" can mean one thing in a small town, farming-community church that might be inadequate in a church serving in a college community. Even spiritual maturity, though it has to have a baseline of adulthood, has to be measured in context.

Our baby (8-month old) church has a ruling elder who is 29 years old. For many churches, this would probably be out of the question. But ours is a very young church demographically and he fills the qualifications well. So we measured his gifts and calling in context.

I don't think the idea of a sliding scale (a contextually-and-Scripturally driven examination of a man) does harm to God's standards; it seems to me the only practical way to apply those standards meaningfully.

Our baby (8-month old) church has a ruling elder who is 29 years old. For many churches, this would probably be out of the question.

There's no biblical reason why an elder can't be a young man, as long as he meets the biblical qualifications. I think that a congregation that would reject a 29-year-old man as an elder, who is otherwise qualified, is in violation of 1 Timothy 4:12.

An elder must be 'apt to teach'. Knowledge is important, but the ability, desire and proclivity to teach is the thing. A bachelors or master which is 'content only' does not provide a potential elder with what he needs.

As an educator of 19 years experience has taught me that all degrees are different. They vary from institution to institution.

Our baby (8-month old) church has a ruling elder who is 29 years old. For many churches, this would probably be out of the question.

There's no biblical reason why an elder can't be a young man, as long as he meets the biblical qualifications. I think that a congregation that would reject a 29-year-old man as an elder, who is otherwise qualified, is in violation of 1 Timothy 4:12.

I believe Spurgeon began pastoring when he was about 18.

thanks for the info guys. the reason why I asked this is that in this day and age, if someone wants to become an elder would they have to leave their jobs and attend seminary before they can function.

I say this because I see the necessity for competent elders in the church when it comes to Biblical knowledge but I am hard pressed to find out how a church can verify that their elders are as competent as can be without having them truncate their regular jobs to go to seminary.

In my denomination (Covenant Presbyterian Church http://www.covenant-presbyterian.org), we do not see a biblical distinction between 'teaching' and 'ruling' elders. An elder is an elder.

Therefore, all elder candidates must complete a rather lengthy written exam, demonstrate their ability to preach, undergo a rather extensive oral theological examination before the presbytery's examination (usually takes 3-4 hours) committee and then complete an oral exam (usually around 30 minutes) before the entire presbytery. Formal education is not required, but neither is it despised.

All of this happens after the candidate's local session and congregation have determined the man and his family are morally qualified.

thanks for the info guys. the reason why I asked this is that in this day and age, if someone wants to become an elder would they have to leave their jobs and attend seminary before they can function.

I say this because I see the necessity for competent elders in the church when it comes to Biblical knowledge but I am hard pressed to find out how a church can verify that their elders are as competent as can be without having them truncate their regular jobs to go to seminary.

Well, as has been said, there's usually a distinction between teaching elders (education) vs. ruling elders (not so much). Such is known as the 3-office view (teaching elders [pastors], ruling elders, deacons).

I'm awaiting the resurrection of the 2-office view (elders and deacons), the Scriptural view. :D

In my denomination (Covenant Presbyterian Church http://www.covenant-presbyterian.org), we do not see a biblical distinction between 'teaching' and 'ruling' elders. An elder is an elder.

Therefore, all elder candidates must complete a rather lengthy written exam, demonstrate their ability to preach, undergo a rather extensive oral theological examination before the presbytery's examination (usually takes 3-4 hours) committee and then complete an oral exam (usually around 30 minutes) before the entire presbytery. Formal education is not required, but neither is it despised.

All of this happens after the candidate's local session and congregation have determined the man and his family are morally qualified.

thanks a lot for this info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back