What school?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make sure you know what you're doing if you get a degree in English...have a plan for your career (after all, sometimes people change their minds about what they will do after their B.A.).
I've thought about that...and my parents remind me all the time

I got my degree in English...I loved it. I had planned on going to seminary...that did not happen, and I haven't been able to pursue careers associated with my educational background since. If you do get a degree in English, pursue education beyond that immediately as that is the *only way* you will capitalize on it (unless you focus on prepping for a career in teaching ESL courses).

I am not wasting anytime after I finish my degree to go beyond that :)

-----Added 2/27/2009 at 03:06:38 EST-----

Or you could save a lot of time and money, skip college altogether, buy a bunch of puritan books or on CD now, many online, I would say you could get equivalent to a Thd for free if you read everything on Mongergism.com and a Puritans mind and memorized the Confession and a BOCO.
The go get your own business going so you have free time with your family and unlimited income potential to serve the Lord with, as much as He brings to you. Why help some other person build his business with your college degree.
Now if you are just dead set on being a lawyer and that is your calling, ... well Grove city is probably the best for what you are looking for.

:lol: I think this every once in while when I look at society and get disgusted with it...I feel like just crawling up in a cave and read the rest of my life :p

On the other hand, I can make in difference in the community by standing up for people. The Law:judge: field needs more honest people.

-----Added 2/27/2009 at 03:09:21 EST-----

If you do end up at a State school, especially if your parents are Christians, I would try to live at home. No one should set themselves up to be bombarded with temptation 24 hours a day.

Worst case scenario, thats what I am going to do (live at home).

I know you want to study theology at school, in which case a state school is not a good option, but I wanted to defend the state schools just a bit. I went to UC Berkeley and love the school. My professors were top notch and it is a fantastic place to live. I also became a Christian while a junior, so it's not all bad! There is a fantastic little OPC just a few blocks from the campus.

Make sure you know what you're doing if you get a degree in English...have a plan for your career (after all, sometimes people change their minds about what they will do after their B.A.).
I've thought about that...and my parents remind me all the time

I got my degree in English...I loved it. I had planned on going to seminary...that did not happen, and I haven't been able to pursue careers associated with my educational background since. If you do get a degree in English, pursue education beyond that immediately as that is the *only way* you will capitalize on it (unless you focus on prepping for a career in teaching ESL courses).

I am not wasting anytime after I finish my degree to go beyond that :)

-----Added 2/27/2009 at 03:06:38 EST-----

:lol: I think this every once in while when I look at society and get disgusted with it...I feel like just crawling up in a cave and read the rest of my life :p

On the other hand, I can make in difference in the community by standing up for people. The Law:judge: field needs more honest people.

-----Added 2/27/2009 at 03:09:21 EST-----

If you do end up at a State school, especially if your parents are Christians, I would try to live at home. No one should set themselves up to be bombarded with temptation 24 hours a day.

Worst case scenario, thats what I am going to do (live at home).

I know you want to study theology at school, in which case a state school is not a good option, but I wanted to defend the state schools just a bit. I went to UC Berkeley and love the school. My professors were top notch and it is a fantastic place to live. I also became a Christian while a junior, so it's not all bad! There is a fantastic little OPC just a few blocks from the campus.

Thanks for the insight...I just passed through Berkeley on my way to San Francisco. Honestly, I really like the bay area. Many people complain about all the liberals down there, but I dont mind. When I was in SF there were actually a lot of street witnessing chances because of the abundance of lost people. UC Berkeley is a great school, and I heard they have an excellent English department. Either way, I am weighing out all my options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back