What should I read?

What should I read?

  • “The Economy of the Covenants” by Herman Witsius

    Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Vol. 1 of John Flavel’s complete works (“The Fountain of Life Opened”)

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Vol. 2 of Flavel’s works (“Method of Grace in the Gospel Redemption”)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • “The Holy Spirit” by Sinclair Ferguson / “The Holy Spirit” by Robert Letham (I would read both)

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Petrus van Mastricht vol. 2

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • “Word, Water, & Spirit” by J.V. Fesko

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • “Sermons of the Great Ejection”

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Perkins on The Lord’s Prayer + Witsius on The Lord’s Prayer

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    16
Status
Not open for further replies.

clawrence9008

Puritan Board Freshman
Not sure what I should read next. I have a terrible habit of starting books that I have and not finishing them, and most of the ones that I have I have not actually read. I can definitely get paralyzed by the choices and also the feeling that I have to “check them all off.” I relate to a poster in a thread a long time ago who said that their reading tends to be a mile wide and an inch deep. I find it hard to soak in what I actually read without just merely intellectualizing it sometimes.

Which of these works do you think would be best for a young Reformed guy who is new in vocational ministry to read? Note: these works are all more theological because for the RUF internship we read 1-2 more devotional/practical Christian works each month (plus I am going through WCF 1-2 and WSC 1-5 this month). (Unless you think it’s an absolutely essential read, please don’t suggest any not on this list because these are all books that I currently own.)
 
If I may, I'd suggest a combination of both Witsius's Economy and Lord's Prayer.
 
I would go with anything on that list you are excited about and would engage your heart and mind. I have the same problem with starting and not finishing. When there are many good choices, and none of the need to be read out of duty, go with what you might love reading the most.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top