Rich,
Because (as far as I can tell) the text is not necessarily dealing with only congregational singing, any imposition that it does is legalistic.
There it is Joe. Poison the well. Those who disagree with you are legalistic. What epitaphs should I lob in the direction of those who hold to the Normative Principle of Worship? I believe the Lord hates murder. Am I a legalist, Joe? Those kinds of comments are simply lazy and unwarranted.
The only way around this is to prove that it absolutely does deal exclusively with corporate singing. That's why Romans 14 may come into play.
No, Joe, it is not the only way it proves it. I think you are reading these posts very uncarefully. I think I have laid out the issue very plainly. Again, if you subscribe to the RPW (which you clearly do not), then you would understand that the exegetical burden to introduce something into worship would fall upon the person introducing it and not on the person prohibiting it. If everything that could be introduced into worship in the human imagination required exegesis to prove that it could not be then I could think of a ton of things that could be done in worship that I would be unable to provide the verse(s) to prohibit.
While I'm not in full agreement with the RP, I am sensitive to it.
I actually don't believe you are sensitive to it in the least. This is a Reformed board and you just called those who want others to provide a clear positive command for solos, legalists.
But this is an area where I cannot see that it can be proven that solos are necessarily excluded from the command.
Well, there you go, you just demonstrated you are
not in the least sensitive to the RPW. What you just proved is that you want to apply the Normative Principle of Worship to place the burden of proof upon the person wishing to guard worship with only positive institutions. So, you cannot see how it cannot be proven that solos are excluded. And?
My problem, Joe, is that I haven't seen anyone prove that they
must be included. This is the nature of the RPW that you call a legalistic approach to exegeting to look for positive command.
I need to be convinced, and nobody here has given irrefutable evidence that God's command cannot include both corporate and solo singing.
Again, this is because you have no sympathy for the RPW. This is not how the RPW functions. This is the NPW.
All of my above comments are in light of this thought process. If I can be proven wrong then they don't stand. If I can't then they do.
Yes, they can. Start a thread on the nature of the RPW. I would caution you to actually have some respect and sympathy for those whose board you are a guest in because the membership requirements are confessional.
This hits the nail on the head.
In other words, why does the Greek in Colossians and Ephesians indicate that is refers to corporate? Does the Greek not allow for any manner of individual singing? Why? Conversely, can someone on the other side explain exegetically why the singing in those passages can and does refer to something other than corporate?
What does the text necessarily command? What does it necessarily exclude? Can we be dogmatic about it? This is the responsible way to deal with it. So, who's ready to set out an exegetical treatment of the verses involved?
As I've said, over and over, this does not hit the nail on the head. It is the Normative Principle of Worship at work. I understand exactly why people are arguing in favor of solos and why they want the RPW crowd to prove to them that Scripture forbids them something but this is not the Reformed position on the nature of worship. I am permitted to take certain assumptions into a dialogue and not have them petulantly labelled as legalism.
Something to be considered: while it is obvious that this command is to the people of God, it is not evident that it is necessarily restricted to the church gathering. Is there any reason this could not include the fellowship of two believers? If so, is there any reason one could not encourage, exhort, etc. the other one in song?
Again, let me lay this out again so you are without excuse. If you mischaracterize this again, I will assume you are purposefully slandering the position:
If you are unsure about whether or not this command applies to individuals then it is not a clear positive command. Why? Because you are unclear. Are you asking me or telling me that the passage includes solos? If you are asking me, then, by definition, you lack a clear, positive command to sing God with solos in worship. If you are telling me that it is clear then tell me. Then tell me, by this positive command to sing solos, that all Churches everywhere MUST sing solos. This is what the RPW would require. If a positive command exists for something then it must be performed.
But don't place the burden of proof on me to say that the RPW includes all those commands that someone, somewhere might personally infer from verses. I can't control personal inference. I don't see a personal command to sing solos anywhere that places upon me and all others an
oughtness - that is a
binding of the conscience. You see, Joe, Romans 14 applies just perfectly in this case but completely in the opposite way that you believe it does. Why? Because the RPW is a guard to liberty. It guards the congregation from worshipping God in any way that He has not commanded them. It guards men from their consciences being bound by others who would introduce an element into worship that is unclear.
And so, I categorically reject that this debate is about the RPW folks not understanding the NPW folks. I completely understood every single argument. Don Lowe is the only person who has even attempted to try to understand the RPW on this thread and provide a single verse in favor of solos to produce a positive command. The only thing you did, Joe, was stand as an opponent to the RPW and tell us to give it up and prove to you that solos are prohibited on the basis of your view of worship.