When was it lost by the church?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arapahoepark

Puritan Board Professor
When was justification by faith alone and our view of scripture lost and why? How did these ritualistic 'sects' form?
It almost seems like an alien doctrine when comparing to obviously Catholicism, the Eastern Orthodox, and the Oriential and Coptic Orthodox as well.

The close of the Apostolic Era could be likened to, not a gradual decline, but a plunge into the abyss. There was faith to be sure, but it was not a very well informed faith. The marriage with political Rome and the favor granted to Constantinian Christianity gave birth to what would become known as the Roman Catholic Church. There would eventually arise such lights as Ambrose and Augustine but the recovery would be slow. The "reformation" of the "church" would await Luther in the 16th century.

When was justification by faith alone lost by the church? Never.

LBC 26:paragraph 3. The purest churches under heaven are subject to mixture and error;4 and some have so degenerated as to become no churches of Christ, but synagogues of Satan; nevertheless Christ always has had, and ever shall have a kingdom in this world, to the end thereof, of such as believe in him, and make profession of his name.

I'd strongly agree with Kevin's point. We have to remember that church history is under the rule of Christ and clarity on these things has been a work of the Holy Spirit over time. Where post-Apostolic church father's stood on the issue are over the map because they hadn't nailed down the language. As you read the Trinitarian discussions in the 4-6th century, and on into the East–West schism of 1054 there are foundational distinctions being made that undergird justification by faith alone. Eastern Orthodoxy didn't take a good direction in the debate on the Trinity, and that has massive implications on their understanding of justification. When did the church leave "justification by faith alone"? As Rome's priests did, it was over time. Important doctrinal error marks would be in the 10-12th century, like the ceremonial nature of worship being elevated to Sacerdotal levels. To be sure, Peter Abelard was an influence in other areas as well (the originator of the "atonement as example" theory).

I would, however, affirm the Reformed position that when the Word is preached, the simplicity of the Gospel (which includes justification by faith alone) is clearly taught - even if the preacher doesn't think so. Just my thoughts though...

Just did a double take when I logged on to the forum--

The thread at the top is "Marijuana allowed in the church?" followed by this one, "When was it lost by the church? "

Just did a double take when I logged on to the forum--

The thread at the top is "Marijuana allowed in the church?" followed by this one, "When was it lost by the church? "

Blame Bob Marley ;)

Seriously, it was never fully lost. But it was severely dimmed. Part of the problem was that things initially allowed in the church as harmless side items became full blown distractions and eventually contributed to the waywardness of the church.

It is also worthwhile to read the ancient Church Fathers. Read them as they would have wished you to (the best of them): with an open Bible.

I think it was py3ak who recently posted a quote from BBWarfield, to the effect that hardly anything proves 1) the direct inspiration of the Apostles, and 2) the infancy of the non-inspired Fathers, than the profound disparity between the quality of each group's understanding of their endowment through the Word.

The growth of the church in its infancy is as we might expect from a child, robust in some ways, susceptible to certain diseases, looking to its Father frequently, aware and yet unaware of its great weakness. But it was a growth that was also guided all along by Holy Spirit, and fit for its peculiar needs in that age.

We can acknowledge significant gaps in the early church's understanding (we can do better than Rome, for example, who must anachronistically read the Fathers in order to make papists, sacerdotalists, sacramentalists, and mariolaters of them). We do not need to make the Fathers into Protestants, in order to love and appreciate them.

The King and Wesbster trilogy ( Alpha and Omega Ministries ), contain a gold-mine of quotations from the first four centuries. The topics of the primacy of Scripture, and of Justification, can be illustrated through the writings of the Fathers, even though the doctrines aren't spelled out in a systematic way, and end up being mixed up with errors too.

Thank God for our (the church's) childhood, and all the blessings of it. Thank God the church has also grown up along the years. Pray for her continued and proper development "in stature, and in favor with God and man;" and growth in grace, 2Pet.3:18.

I agree that these doctrines have never been fully lost. At the same time, both scripture and justification have been lost by every generation. The scriptures: Eve asked, "did God really say ..." Justification: it goes contrary to fallen human nature to believe that we have no ability on our own to make ourselves right before God.

Some years back I read Alistair McGrath's book "Justitia Dei," on the history of the doctrine of justification by faith alone. Although a very large portion of it was in untranslated Latin, I was able to get through it. After I finished reading it I was weeping. I called Joel Beeke and said, "Joel, if McGrath is right, almost no one through the ages was preaching justification by faith alone."

Beeke's response was, "Don, almost no one's preaching it now either."

Even the Apostle Paul lamented to the Galatians that they had abandoned the gospel, and he had just left them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back