Where to invest your talents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VerticalLiftEnjoyer

Puritan Board Freshman
How should one invest their talents? I’m not asking for, “well you should do this”, for I know there’s no specific rule for everyone, but what are some rules of thumb?

Can you flesh this question out some?
Like, say a man is a talented doctor. Should he stay in his job at a hospital, or would that be sin, and a mishandling of his talents? My understanding is God gives each man talents, and He expects a return of investment in His own church, not anywhere else, unless it benefits the church.

You are the Stewards and Dispensers of the Mysteries of God, that are to give to all the Family their portion, everyone in their season; and blessed is that servant (only) whom his Lord when he cometh shall find so doing: And how will the Master look on you at his return, if you suffer the Family to starve, when he hath left with you for their supply till he come? And hath not God charged, that you trade with your Talents? and as you have received the gift, so you minister the same to others, without which you cannot be good Stewards of the manifold Grace of God? and yet do you let your Talents lie unoccupied? -
Joseph Alleine, 1634-1668

Live for this opening, in laying out your Receivings, and employing all your Talents the right way, whether Spiritual Graces, or Temporal Blessings. We find in the Parable, Mat. 25.14.—30. that the Servants who were entrusted with Talents were called to a Reckoning at last. This is that you must come to, the Lord will require from you an account of your Stewardship. Would you live for an opening, an accounting Day? lay out your Talents in a right manner. Hath God betrusted you with a Talent of Grace, or Gifts, or Wealth, or Authority? Take heed what use you put them to, endeavor in your Place, and to your Power to profit others by them; use your Gifts and Graces in Comforting, Exhorting and Counselling others. Have you Wealth and Estates? think what good you may do with it. It's lamentable to see what use many that have useful Estates are making of them! One hath a fair Talent, in this respect, but he laps it up in his Napkin; the Church hath no help, the Poor fare no better, no good Work goes on faster for him. Another hath the like Talent, and he uses it, but how? Why, as Beasts do their Horns, in acts of Violence and Oppression: through Usury and pinching Bargains he sucks the Blood, and eats the Flesh of many poor Neighbors about him, thriving as People on the Sea-Coasts, by the Wrecks of Ships. Another sort waste their Estates in Riot and Excess, in Surfeiting and Drunkenness, in Pleasures and Pastimes.
Henry Pendlebury, 1626-1695

Lastly consider, When judgment comes, enquiry will be made, whether you have lived as your own, or as his that bought you: Then he will require his own with the improvement, Luke 19. 23. The great business of that day will be, not so much to search after particular sinner, or duties, which were contrary to the scope of heart and life; but to know whether you lived to God, or to your flesh: whether your time, and care, and wealth, were expended for Christ in his members and interest? or for your carnal selves, Mat. 25. In as much as you did it not to these, you did it not to him. You, that Christ hath given Authority to, shall then be accountable, whether you improved it to his advantage? You that he hath given honor to, must then give account, whether you improved it to his honor? In the fear of God, Sirs, cast up your accounts in time, and bethink you what answer will then stand good; It will be a doleful hearing to a guilty soul, when Christ shall say, I gave thee thirty or forty years time: thy flesh had so much in eating, and drinking, and sleeping, and laboring, in idleness and vain talking, and recreations, and other vanities; but where was my part? how much was laid out for the promoting of my glory? I lent you so much of the wealth of the world; so much was spent on your backs, and so much on your bellies, so much on costly toys, or superfluities, so much in revengeful suites and contentions, and so much was left behind for your posterity; but where was my part? how much was laid out to further the Gospel, and to relieve the souls or the bodies of your brethren? I gave thee a family, and committed them to thy care to govern them for me, and fit them for my service: but how didst thou perform it? O Brethren, bethink you in time what answer to make to such interrogatories; your judge hath told you, that your doom must then pass according as you have improved your talents for him; and that he that hideth his Talent, though he give God his own, shall be cast into utter darkness, where is weeping and gnashing of teeth, Mat. 25. 30. How easily will Christ then evince his right in you, and convince you that it was your duty to have lived unto him? Do you think sirs, that you shall then have the face to say, I thought Lord that I had been made and redeemed for myself? I thought I had nothing to do on earth, but live in as much plenty as I could, and pleasure to my flesh, and serve thee on the by, that thou mightest continue my prosperity, and save me when I could keep the world no longer: I knew not that I was thine, and should have lived to thy glory: if any of you plead thus, what store of Arguments hath Christ to silence you! He will then convince you, that his Title to you was not questionable: He will prove that thou wast his by thy very Being, and fetch unanswerable Arguments from every part and faculty: He will prove it from his Incarnation, his life of humiliation, his bloody sweat, his crown of Thorns, his Cross, his Grave: He that had wounds to show after his Resurrection, for the convincing of a doubting Disciple, will have such Scares to show then, as shall suffice to convince a self-excusing Rebel: All these shall witness that he was thy rightful Lord: He will prove it also from the discoveries of his Word, from the warnings of his Ministers, from the mercies which thou receivedst from him, that thou wast not ignorant of his Right, and of thy duty; or at least, not ignorant for want of means: He will prove it from thy Baptismal Covenant and renewed engagements: The Congregation can witness, that you did promise to be his, and seal to it by the reception of both his Sacraments: And as he will easily prove his right, so will he as easily prove, that you denied it to him: He will prove it from your Works, from the course of your life, from the stream of your thoughts, from your love, your desires, and the rest of the affections of your disclosed hearts.
Richard Baxter, 1615-1691

Consider that of our Savior, Luk. 12.48. where God gives much, be looks for much again: the more your talents, the greater your account. Honor, birth, estate, are great blessings in themselves. Great men may be far greater instruments of service for God and his Church then other, because they have far more power and advantages by their places, to defend themselves, and encourage others, in promoting the glory of Christ. As God made not flowers for toads and spiders for to draw poison out of them, but for bees to suck honey from them: so neither did he create honors and estates for his enemies, that being in honors they should have no understanding, but live like beasts that perish; but for his servants, that will improve them for their Lord's advantage. There is a day coming (Gentlemen) when the Lord will not only call you to an account for the principal of the talents of honor and greatness, but for the interest also. 'Twill not be your returning them in the napkin, by saying, you have not abused them, to the dishonor of God and prejudice of those under you; but you must return them multiplied and improved to the uttermost, in honoring the Lord with them: wherein if you fail, the more shame and contempt will fall on you, by how much you are trusted now with a greater measure of power and greatness above others. If all rational men have branded Domitian, who (being a king) spent his time in catching flies; oh! how much more will the Lord pour out confusion upon those who improve their places in spending whole years, and consuming nights and days in completing their lust and methodizing their sinful ways to an exactness: & profundity of voluptuousness! these courses render his Soul an Ethiopian & Black-more, whose body is clothed in Josephs parti-colcured coat, or the rich arras of Egypt.
Samuel Fairclough Sr., 1594-1677

All of you (though in a different degree) are blest with some talents, qualified with some endowments or other, whether they be supernatural graces, or natural dispositions, as a golden wit, a quick fancy, a marble memory, an acute understanding, a profound judgment, a flowing melifluous expression of your minds, or whether they be intellectual habits, that (by virtue of education, industry, art, observation, experience) make you linguists, disputants, Orators, Lawyers, Physicians, Statesmen, Artizans. Or whether they be the goods of the body, as symmetry proportion, eucracy, health, beauty, strength, or adventitious Goods; as extraction from a noble Stock, honor, riches, reputation, as your talents increase, so do your accounts; be faithful.
William Price 1597-1646

Do not think, that because your estate is low, your parts weak, your Talents few, that therefore God will not regard your person, or accept of your services, as he will of others, who have a greater measure of gifts and abilities: That which God eyes, and that which he crowns in his servants, is Truth and Fidelity; the gifts are his, but the improvement is yours; and if you show the same diligence that others do, and hold out unto the end, your reward will be as certain, if not as great as theirs, and your acceptance will be as much. The sacrifice of a pair of Turtles in the Law, was a sweet savor unto the Lord, as well as the Bullock.
William Spurstow, 1605-1666

Trade with your talents, improving them for God, however few they be. Matthew 25:22, 23. If a person have but a little fire, yet if it get air and be blown up, it may make a brisk fire. And grace grows by improvement. It is with grace and good motions, as with a spring. If it be stopped the water goes away, but if it be cleared it runs and runs on. If one had but a conviction of sin, if he should improve that in speaking of his sinfulness to God in prayer, to humble him in meditation, and to others in Christian conversation, it would grow.
Thomas Boston, 1676-1732

Think not that an empty profession will save; millions will be sent to hell in Christ's livery , Matth. 8.12. Oh labor to know the grace of God in truth . The Lord hath been at much cost and charges with you to bring you near to himself; let not God be a looser by you. Pindar saith, it was an opinion of the people in ancient times, that Jupiter rained down gold upon the City of Rhodes: Give me leave to apply it to you, God hath rained down golden showers upon you. What mercies hath he enriched you with? what talents hath he entrusted you with? your estate is a talent, your health (in these sickly times especially) is a talent, your Sanctuary-blessings are talents, every motion of the Spirit, every opportunity for heaven is a talent, and nothing more sure than that you will be called to an account shortly ; now if you have let your talents lie rusting, and done no good with them, the hiding your talents will not hide your sin, expect an heavy doom. Think not these things impertinencies. Be not so evil, as to be too good to be advised. I confess myself with Ignatius, the least of all that labor in God's vineyard, but though I am with you in weakness, yet as the Apostle saith, in much trembling . I tremble to think how sad it will be, if any of you shall perish in these days of the Gospel, though you have been placed under a trumpet, less shrill and powerful. It shall be my prayer for you all, that you may be fruit-bearing trees, that when the great Vinedresser shall remove you hence by death, he may transplant you into the coelestial Paradise.
Thomas Watson, d.1686

Christ is thus sweet in his carriage towards his working members, that he may leave all without excuse. Christ's carriage to his shall condemn wretches at the last day, that will be none of his. Sinners will be ready to say, we did not serve thee because there was harshness in thee: Thy work was hard, and thou wert austere: Thy servants went for the most part in sackcloth, while others wore silke, &c. Now Christ will stop their mouths by his sweet carriage. Wretches that will not work for Christ, shall be left without all excuse, when they shall be told, and convinced of the sweetness of Christ, to his working members. Christ is resolved to stop all mouths in that day. His sweetness to laborers, shall silence loiterers. His gentle leading of workers, shall condemn the idle-living of wanderers. The Ewes that have been big with young, shall witness against those, that would not have Christ to be their Shepherd; Christ's sweet carriage to the one, shall convince and condemn the obstinate standing out of the other. Wretches, Christ calls upon you to work for him; he hath given you talents, and he bids you employ them; you are fearful and sluggish, you hide your talents, and spare your pains; you do not, will not act, or work for Christ. Consider you shall be without excuse, at the great day: It will be foolish and false to plead, Christ was a hard master. His working members by their experience shall confute you, and Christ's sweet carriage to them shall leave you without apology, or excuse.
John Durant, b.1620

It is for a man to improve to God's glory, and to the good of his own soul, all those vouchsafements and enjoyments, which the Lord hath bestowed upon him. Say thus, God hath given me wealth; I will use my wealth to his glory: the Lord hath given me opportunities of grace, I will improve them to the utmost. The talents which God hath given us, we must employ them, trade upon them; we must not wrap them in a napkin; Have we riches, honors, children, lands, large possessions, anything: Let us improve all to God's glory; let God be first in our thoughts, let us exalt him in all things. Servants, Children, Householders, Parents, Constables, Magistrates, use your Talents, your Relations: improve your Interests to the glory of God, this is to walk worthy of the Lord. And this is the way, or rather a sign, that God hath been, will be, and continue to be your God unto death.
Thomas Larkham, 1602-1669

I have read, that the Art of Medicine was perfected thus; As any one met with an herb, and discovered the virtue of it by any accident, he would post it up in some public place, and if any were sick, or diseased, he was laid in some beaten passage, that everyone might communicate the best receipt; and say they, the Physicians skill was perfected by a collection of those posted experiments and receipts: of all things take heed of the napkin; wrap not up your Talents, As everyone hath received the gift, even so minister the same, one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.
Benjamin Needler, 1620-1682

Therefore you to whom God hath thus given, you must offer up yourselves to him; as our Savior saith to his Disciples: To you it is given to know the Mysteries of the Kingdom of Heaven, but to them it is not given. So I say, To you it is given to pray, to you it is given to read the Scriptures, and to hear the Word of God; To you it is given to meditate on the Word; To you it is given to see and conceive aright of Heavenly Things: Ye have tasted of Love and Mercy, and therefore to you it is given to show Love and Mercy. Think ye of your Talents, and of your Receipts unto whom God hath given much, look what ye have received, mind your Account, tender his Glory, whose Love in all Eternity was so tender to your Souls above many thousand others.
William Gearing, 1625-1690

Employ all your Talents for your Masters glory, and endeavor to promote the interest of the Lord Jesus unto the utmost of your abilities.
Thomas Vincent, 1634-1678

Fourthly, Of the Talents.
In and about them, consider. 1. There are none but have some Talents given of God, to employ, for the glory of God, and the good of others; some have Talents of Gifts and Grace, more means and seasons of Grace then others; some have Talents of Health, Strength, Wealth, Honor; some more, some less; some ten, some five, someone; and all these put into their hands to employ for their Lord and Masters advantage, for the glory of God, and the good of Souls, their own and others, especially those under their charge, as you may see, Mat. 25. And to whom much is given, much will be required, Luke 12. And therefore to inquire everyone what Talents we have received, and how we have prized them and improved them; whether we have or do employ them to the ends God gave them, and as our Consciences and Conversations can witness for or against us, to be humbled and thankful accordingly.2. To consider what abundance of Peace, Joy, and Comfort, the well employment of these Talents will bring unto you, when you come to lie upon your Death-beds, Isa. 38.3. Remember how I have walked before thee in Truth with a perfect heart, (says Hezekiah ): and what abundance of horror and terror will fall upon your spirits, if you neglect your Talents, or the misemployment of them, as it did upon him, that cried out at his end, Diem perdidi, Deum perdidi, meipsum perdidi; I have lost the day, my God, and myself: To the one he will say, Well done good and faithful Servant, thou hast been faithful in a little, I will make thee Ruler over much: To the other, Take him and bind him hand and foot, and cast him into utter darkness, &c. To the one, Come ye Blessed, for I was an hungry: To the other, Go ye cursed, &c. for I was an hungry, and ye gave me no meat, &c. Mat. 25.A serious meditation on these things, will stir you up to a more diligent and careful employment of your inward and outward Talents, to the glory of God, and the good of your own and others Souls.
John Barlet, fl.1662

In a word, your time is little, your work is great; your talents are many, your account will be weighty; your Savior observeth every moment how tender you are of his honor, that was so tender of your eternal welfare; how you testify your thankfulness to him, for all the bitter agony, and ignominy, which he suffered for you. You shall shortly never more have the least opportunity (though you would give a thousand worlds for it) to do anything in, for God's glory, your own or others good. Work therefore the work of him that sent you into the world, while it is the day of your life, for the night of death is hastening on you, wherein you cannot work: Up and be doing, as a Christian, as a Magistrate, and the Lord be with you.
George Swinnock, 1627-1673

Like, say a man is a talented doctor. Should he stay in his job at a hospital, or would that be sin, and a mishandling of his talents? My understanding is God gives each man talents, and He expects a return of investment in His own church, not anywhere else, unless it benefits the church.

A doctor who does a good job is a common grace gift from God, and that doctor glorifies the goodness of God by providing alleviation from the effects of sin in a cursed world. A hospital is a legitimate venue in which to do that, and he's not sinning if he doesn't leave the hospital job to go be a missionary doctor, unless there's a clear call to go and do it elsewhere. Who will care for all the lost people who go to the hospital? I'm sure they want a godly doctor who knows his stuff and really cares for his patients, even if they won't say it.

Also, a return on investment doesn't mean that the church is a direct beneficiary. "The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it." Anything that you touch is His, and He expects it to be rightly used and well-cared for.

The church benefits in other ways too. If the doctor in the hospital and does excellent work, and he keeps his integrity, that is a witness in itself, and it shows the greatness of the king who appointed that doctor to his work.

Good day. Definitely the Church. Also, where there is need. What talent do you think of specifically?
I’m passionate about aviation, and as such feel like not becoming a missionary bush pilot is sin. However, I have no desire to do the missionary part of it and am unsuitable for it as well, coupled with the fact that I question whether most missionary aviation organizations deserve support.

I’m passionate about aviation, and as such feel like not becoming a missionary bush pilot is sin. However, I have no desire to do the missionary part of it and am unsuitable for it as well, coupled with the fact that I question whether most missionary aviation organizations deserve support.
I heard about that.

The Gospel is clear; those who want to hold on to their lives (desires, hopes, passions, and aspirations) will lose it; those who lose it for Jesus' sake will find it. While others may disagree, it sounds like you may be trying to find affirmation to simply do as you desire, apart from any real effort to correlate your vocation with your Commission. But no such affirmation can exist. If you are in the position to choose your vocation, it must be done to the glory of God; with his interests in mind. We are not on earth to do or seek our own wills. While you do not have to be a missionary, or engage in any formal ministry; you also do not get off the hook to just pursue a slothish faith and prosperity because you are a laymen. Many will disagree with that point, but I think the Bible is clear on it. Christian ministry is so expansive, that almost any talent can be used, even in non-church vocations for his glory. From aviation, to web-design, to carpentry, etc. It will be then left up to you to fly just because you like flying; or fly in service to him. Much of what you propose seems like an American understanding, not a Christian one. The American motto is "do something, do it well, and enjoy the fruits." The Christian motto is "do something, and do it as unto the Lord; and whatever fruit you garnish, is to be reinvested for greater returns."

With this being said, do not wrack your brain trying to discern a specific will, but take an honest account of your talents, and seek to serve him in whatever area you enjoy and are good at. If you have many talents, pick one; and if you have but one, use it.

The Gospel is clear; those who want to hold on to their lives (desires, hopes, passions, and aspirations) will lose it; those who lose it for Jesus' sake will find it. While others may disagree, it sounds like you may be trying to find affirmation to simply do as you desire, apart from any real effort to correlate your vocation with your Commission. But no such affirmation can exist. If you are in the position to choose your vocation, it must be done to the glory of God; with his interests in mind. We are not on earth to do or seek our own wills. While you do not have to be a missionary, or engage in any formal ministry; you also do not get off the hook to just pursue a slothish faith and prosperity because you are a laymen. Many will disagree with that point, but I think the Bible is clear on it. Christian ministry is so expansive, that almost any talent can be used, even in non-church vocations for his glory. From aviation, to web-design, to carpentry, etc. It will be then left up to you to fly just because you like flying; or fly in service to him. Much of what you propose seems like an American understanding, not a Christian one. The American motto is "do something, do it well, and enjoy the fruits." The Christian motto is "do something, and do it as unto the Lord; and whatever fruit you garnish, is to be reinvested for greater returns."

With this being said, do not wrack your brain trying to discern a specific will, but take an honest account of your talents, and seek to serve him in whatever area you enjoy and are good at. If you have many talents, pick one; and if you have but one, use it.
I’m willing to serve in a logistics capacity, but the capital M ministry and missionary is where I falter. Absolutely not suitable for that even though I do want solid and consistent workplace evangelism and witness. Problem is nobody wants just a pilot (in agencies at least; individual churches may vary), they want the whole package that I can’t provide, or would be forced to provide (painfully).

Much of what you propose seems like an American understanding, not a Christian one. The American motto is "do something, do it well, and enjoy the fruits." The Christian motto is "do something, and do it as unto the Lord; and whatever fruit you garnish, is to be reinvested for greater returns."
How does a Christian carpenter who is not doing it unto the LORD differ from a Christian carpenter who does it unto the LORD? What does it look like?

Hi Chance. I think what Dave said above is right on, and really worth thinking about and applying to your best ability.

How does a Christian carpenter who is not doing it unto the LORD differ from a Christian carpenter who does it unto the LORD? What does it look like?

Good point. The idea a man, who is not ordained for Ministry, should not do the job he was not "sent" to do.

As long as it is righteous, all vocations are a worthy calling for a believer.

If you have the capability of being an aviator (and can gain the appropriate credentials) go for it. If the church is not confirming the gifts and calling to gospel ministry, why would a job with Alaska Airlines be inappropriate?

Evangelicalism is reaffirming the idea of "a higher calling" that was totally rejected by the reformers 500 years ago.

I’m willing to serve in a logistics capacity, but the capital M ministry and missionary is where I falter. Absolutely not suitable for that even though I do want solid and consistent workplace evangelism and witness. Problem is nobody wants just a pilot (in agencies at least; individual churches may vary), they want the whole package that I can’t provide, or would be forced to provide (painfully).

I think between these two posts you have high certainty that this is not work which God calls you to. Not at this time anyway. You admittedly don't have any desire to do missionary work, but ministerial work requires desire (1 Tim. 3:1) as well as qualifications (v. 2 onward). I'd say at this point, don't go.

There's many good venues for your gifts, and we really need godly pilots who fly well, and who care about who/what they are transporting. I do wonder if there's a few pilots/companies who do "risk analysis" and gamble with the lives of their passengers, or haven't studied well enough to know what to do in emergencies. It'd be great to have you at the helm as one who is morally and technically equipped to get me safely from one place to the other.

As long as it is righteous, all vocations are a worthy calling for a believer.

If you have the capability of being an aviator (and can gain the appropriate credentials) go for it. If the church is not confirming the gifts and calling to gospel ministry, why would a job with Alaska Airlines be inappropriate?

Evangelicalism is reaffirming the idea of "a higher calling" that was totally rejected by the reformers 500 years ago.
I always appreciate your wisdom and thoughts. Maybe you can share your thoughts on this. It seems that hundreds of years ago people were basically very limited in what they were able to do with their lives, sticking with simple trades, and following in the feet of what their parents generally did.

Fast forward to our present day, and we live in a land where we can pursue almost anything we set our minds on. With such freedom and capabilities, do you think there is more opportunity for somebody to really pick out a job that fits their gifting and talents, and may have more opportunity to make an impact for the kingdom of God, and pursue that?

For example, with my business degree, I can work secluded behind a desk doing accounting work, or I can work for a non-profit adoption center, which is helping orphans find homes. As a Christian, I wonder which would contribute to more good in the world.

A Christian carpenter could use his talents for non-profits, thus relieving communal hardships. Or they could be industrious in their work with the original intent to invest some profits into ministry enterprises. They could also do good work, at a fair price instead of seeking profit primarily, or doing shoddy work for the same reasons. To me, it all starts with an intent to glorify God, and opportunities will arise.

I always appreciate your wisdom and thoughts. Maybe you can share your thoughts on this. It seems that hundreds of years ago people were basically very limited in what they were able to do with their lives, sticking with simple trades, and following in the feet of what their parents generally did.

Fast forward to our present day, and we live in a land where we can pursue almost anything we set our minds on. With such freedom and capabilities, do you think there is more opportunity for somebody to really pick out a job that fits their gifting and talents, and may have more opportunity to make an impact for the kingdom of God, and pursue that?

For example, with my business degree, I can work secluded behind a desk doing accounting work, or I can work for a non-profit adoption center, which is helping orphans find homes. As a Christian, I wonder which would contribute to more good in the world.
Raise godly children and serve the local church. Find the job that fits this criteria. Serve uprightly.

12 And some tax collectors also came to be baptized, and they said to him, “Teacher, what shall we do?”
13 And he said to them, “Collect no more than what you have been ordered to.”
14 Some soldiers were questioning him, saying, “And what about us, what shall we do?” And he said to them, “Do not take money from anyone by force, or accuse anyone falsely, and be content with your wages.”

And have a free conscience towards your job and all of life.

And please don't misconstrue what I said. I apologize if I was not clear. But considering aviation. What do you think more glorifies God? Opening a charter for profit or working potentially for the Forrest service or Coast Gaurd doing search and rescue? Or what about aerials over the Holy Land? Maybe help put out fires? It is like someone mentioned, now days there are so many opportunities to use your talents for good, as opposed to just offering a service, that one can specifically choose to pursue a direct revelation of God's goodwill to man. The opportunities are almost endless. But if you go into a field with the intent of glorifying God: not only will your holiness do so, but specific opportunities will arise to show how a Christian is set apart. Both in intent and service.

It's been awhile since I've read the puritans on this topic, but the reasoning started with Jesus serving as our high priest. No human stood between God and man and no human could be on a higher spiritual plane.

Someone with greater language skills than mine can check me on this, but I believe the medieval concept of vocation specifically meant a call to a religious order and a life "separated unto God." This calling was unavailable to the average joe who was forced to the outside to do menial work and to live in dependence upon the priests to approach God.

While the puritans certainly recognized the offices of the church, they also saw the farmer, mother, cooper, blacksmith, etc., as sovereignly called to work to God's glory and for the general good and order of their community.

An example from The Works of Thomas Shepherd:
"Seeing yourself thus working in worldly employments for him, you may easily apprehend that for that time God calls you to them and you attend upon the work of Jesus Christ in them, that you honor God as much, nay, more, by the meanest servile worldly act, than if you should have spent all that time in meditation, prayer, or any other spiritual employment, to which you had no call at that time.”

I read a great deal of the puritans in college and took comfort in this holy view of work. Many friends around me were hearing from parachurch organizations that they should seek higher "full time Christian work" and wrestled with "what is God's plan for my life," yet learned very little of God's law and the wisdom of the protestant men and women who came before us.

It's been awhile since I've read the puritans on this topic, but the reasoning started with Jesus serving as our high priest. No human stood between God and man and no human could be on a higher spiritual plane.

Someone with greater language skills than mine can check me on this, but I believe the medieval concept of vocation specifically meant a call to a religious order and a life "separated unto God." This calling was unavailable to the average joe who was forced to the outside to do menial work and to live in dependence upon the priests to approach God.

While the puritans certainly recognized the offices of the church, they also saw the farmer, mother, cooper, blacksmith, etc., as sovereignly called to work to God's glory and for the general good and order of their community.

An example from The Works of Thomas Shepherd:
"Seeing yourself thus working in worldly employments for him, you may easily apprehend that for that time God calls you to them and you attend upon the work of Jesus Christ in them, that you honor God as much, nay, more, by the meanest servile worldly act, than if you should have spent all that time in meditation, prayer, or any other spiritual employment, to which you had no call at that time.”

I read a great deal of the puritans in college and took comfort in this holy view of work. Many friends around me were hearing from parachurch organizations that they should seek higher "full time Christian work" and wrestled with "what is God's plan for my life," yet learned very little of God's law and the wisdom of the protestant men and women who came before us.
Thanks for sharing that!

Raise godly children and serve the local church. Find the job that fits this criteria. Serve uprightly.

12 And some tax collectors also came to be baptized, and they said to him, “Teacher, what shall we do?”
13 And he said to them, “Collect no more than what you have been ordered to.”
14 Some soldiers were questioning him, saying, “And what about us, what shall we do?” And he said to them, “Do not take money from anyone by force, or accuse anyone falsely, and be content with your wages.”

And have a free conscience towards your job and all of life.
That is very true. Thank you.

I was thinking of this passage in Corinthians. I know the context does not have to do with this, but do you think there is a principle that applies? That if we have an opportunity to seek better, then we should.

"Were you a bondservant when called? Do not be concerned about it. (But if you can gain your freedom, avail yourself of the opportunity.)"

Last edited:
This Puritan explains it much better than me, but it is what i was trying to explain. That is, in what ever vocation you choose there has to be an intent; and that intent is to serve God, in love for God; or serve your neighbor, in love for your neighbor (as a result for your love for God.) We do not get to live unto ourselves as Christians.

"Now let us come to the third end of our life, which is to be considered in the particular vocation of every man. This end ought not to be our profit, honor, or other carnal commodity, but that in serving of men we may serve God. God the creator and redeemer can well enough preserve both our bodies & souls without the ministry of men: but thus far he honoreth us, as to vouchsafe to work his works by us. And in this consideration doth he give, and hath given us shepherds & ministers of his word, to the end, as S. Paul saith, to save those that hearken unto them, by illuminating their hearts, creating faith in them, & by reforming them to obedience through the means of the holy ministry, with the efficacy of his holy spirit, blessing the labors of his servants. In this respect also, vouchsafing there should be food for the body, he hath appointed some to be husbandmen to till the earth, some to be millers, and some to be bakers. For the furnishing us of apparel, that some should be shepherds, some shearers of sheep, some carders, some spinsters, some weavers, fullers, dyers, tailers, &c. For the providing of us of houses, that some should be carpenters, masons, &c. To be brief, that there should be an infinite number of artificers and merchants, whose function is, to furnish all things requisite for the entertainment and maintenance of the body. He also ordaineth kings, princes, and magistrates, by their authority to keep everyone within the compass of his vocation, and so to execute their office, in the maintaining of the good and punishing the wicked. Thus God fulfilleth his work & will in the preservation of our bodies & salvation of our souls, by the employment of men in his service, everyone according to his vocation. Neither is there so much as the bondman but doth serve God by serving his Lord as S. Paul saith, That by faithful service to their masters they serve the Lord.

Hereby it appeareth that the end of man's life ought to rest in the serving of God, by serving of men in their vocation. It doth not therefore consist only herein, that the artificer should get sufficient to maintain his family, the merchant to obtain riches, other men credit, dignity, and carnal commodities: For this is the serving of ourselves, not of God, albeit men for the most part do thus corrupt & profane their labors, works, & life, living to another end than they ought. And indeed, if any man give alms to the end to be seen of men, everyone will confess that his deed is naught worth. If a minister preach God's word, only to get reputation, & not simply for the salvation of souls, he profaneth his vocation: In like manner, the merchant in his trafique, seeking not to serve God by serving of men, but to enrich himself, perverteth his vocation & the course of his life, because he liveth not to serve God, but to serve himself.

Why, will some man say, Hath not God commanded every man to labor in his vocation for the maintaining of his family? It is true, but we do misconster this ordinance of God. For his meaning is, that every man should have this end, to serve God by the serving of men. And in reward and recompense of the service that we do him, he ordaineth that the artificer shall receive the reward of his labor, as from the hand of God, whom he serveth by serving of men, and so may have wherewith to maintain his family: That the merchant should sell his commodities for more than it cost, wherein the surplussage is the reward that God payeth him for his service. Likewise that the servant, man or woman, shall receive food & some wages for service don to God in serving of men. Who so therefore maketh not this the end of his vocation, namely, to serve God by serving of man, he doth not refer his life to the right end, and so profaneth and perverteth the same.

Herein do we greatly wrong ourselves, for, if we lived to serve God in our vocation: besides, that this service done to God, should be rewarded in this life, it would also be a path & way to attain to the inheritance of heaven, as Saint Paul teacheth us, saying: The servants that faithfully serve their masters, do serve the Lord Christ, and therefore shall receive of the Lord the reward of the inheritance of heaven. As also the same Apostle saith, Through bearing of children the woman shall be saved, if she continue in faith, love, and holiness, with modesty. The poor woman bearing her fruit, bringing it forth, and nursing her little one, abideth much pain, sorrow, and anguish. But if she think that God, who vouchsafeth to continue the world by generation, hath called her to this vocation, & that her whole end in all the service that she doth to the little babe, how vile and filthy so ever, do aim at the service of God, by serving the child: let her be of good courage, for by such serving of God in her vocation, she shall be saved, and shall receive great reward in the everlasting inheritance. Yet not that this service in her vocation is any merit, but only a path wherethrough God leadeth her to the possession of the celestial inheritance, and a work which shall not be without reward in the life everlasting.

"It is also a great consolation to all those that are called to any base or vile office in this world, because if they consider that in serving man they serve God, their vocation cannot be base or vile in the sight of God. His majesty is so great, that there is no vile or contemptible office or calling in his house. And therefore if a poor servant when she sweeps the house, and doeth other business that seemeth base, doth think with herself that God hath called her to that vocation, and that serving her master or mistress, she serveth God, she shall reap great contentation, and is to expect a reward, far greater, without comparison, than any mortal man is able to give. For as God is great, so doth he greatly esteem of service done unto him: And such is the excellency of his children, that they are not to employ themselves in the service of men, were it not that they hope for better reward than from men. His will therefore is, that in serving of men they should look for reward, not from men only, but also from God, considering that by serving of men they do serve God. And thus so long as we direct the end of our lives in this sort to serve God, by serving of men: we shall never need to doubt, or to take care for the maintenance of our bodies in this life, but may wholly repose ourselves upon so good a master, whom we serve. And indeed, if the servant that faithfully serveth his master is not to care for his necessities, but looketh, and that justly, that the master whom he serveth should provide for the same, should not we do God great injury and dishonor, if referring our whole lives to his honor, we should fear that he would suffer us to starve?

Moreover, if we had perfectly learned that the end of our lives should tend to serve God by serving of men, that one lesson would subvert all fraud, deceit, extortion, and unlawful trafiques. For by deceiving thy neighbor, and wrongful encroaching of his goods into thy hands, canst thou serve thy neighbor, or God, who cannot avow, but doth detest all such iniquity? No, but contrariwise, the injury done to thy neighbor, proveth that in hew of serving of God, by seeking to serve thyself, thou servest the devil, who will return but a woeful reward to his servants.

By the premises we perceive the danger of this fourth folly, and how pernicious it is not to know wherefore we do live. To the end therefore to Amend our lives, let us be better advised hereafter, and learn first, that the principal end of our lives should tend to increase in the knowledge of God, that knowing him we may glorify him, & to ourselves obtain life everlasting. Next, that every man in his vocation have this intent, To serve God by serving of men, and so to fulfill the sum of the law, which importeth that we love God with our whole heart, and our neighbor in God, and for the love of God."
Jean Taffin, 1529-1602

That is very true. Thank you.

I was thinking of this passage in Corinthians. I know the context does not have to do with this, but do you think there is a principle that applies? That if we have an opportunity to seek better, then we should.

"Were you a bondservant when called? Do not be concerned about it. (But if you can gain your freedom, avail yourself of the opportunity.)"
I thought of that too.
And this 1 Cor 5:

9 I wrote you in my letter not to associate with immoral people;
10 I did not at all mean with the immoral people of this world, or with the covetous and swindlers, or with idolaters, for then you would have to go out of the world.

This speaks something to how business in the world is at least not a write off to be avoided totally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back