Which Altar - Isaiah 6:6

Status
Not open for further replies.

py3ak

Unshaven and anonymous
Staff member
Did the seraph take the coal that was applied to Isaiah's lips from the altar of burnt-offering or from the altar of incense?

Is there a way to tell?

Then flew one of the seraphims unto me, having a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with the tongs from off the altar.

But other texts may give an indication. As a hypothetical (it's not true) if "tongs" were always associated with the altar of incense, the use of "tongs" would be evidence that it was the altar of incense.

Hence the question.

It would seem that the altar in question would be the altar of sacrifice, seeing that the result is the cleansing of Isaiah's lips. The altar of Incense was not by design this kind of cleansing altar, but was to represent the prayers of the saints.

I had time this evening to glance through the usage of "altar" in the Pentateuch, and concluded that this altar is the altar of burnt offering. When the altar of incense is mentioned it is called "the altar of incense" or the "golden altar", but in the books of Moses I found no instance where it is mentioned simply as "the altar", whereas that absolute usage is frequent in regard to the altar of burnt offering. Numbers 4 was a particularly clear text for showing the distinction in the usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back