Who were the "four Latin doctors"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relztrah

Puritan Board Freshman
I recently read in the Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers series regarding St. Ambrose, that he was one of the "four Latin doctors of the Church". I've never heard that phrase. I could probably Google it, but I would rather ask here.

If I remember correctly, they were Ambrose, Augustine (no surprise there), Gregory and Jerome.

Adam is correct. And the four Greek Doctors of the Ancient Church are two of the Cappadocians (Basil and Gregory of Nazianzus), the great preacher Chrysostom and the man who stood contra mundum, Athanasius. There are a few dozen "doctors," reckoned in this way, altogether.

The word "doctor" is just a form of the Latin (doceo) for "teach," so the doctor is "one who teaches." These then were reckoned especially to be the church's teachers. The office of doctor in the church is the office of teacher, an office that I hold as a minister of Word and sacrament.

Peace,
Alan

Whoever they are, it would appear they like to dress in style and sport a lot of swag. Here's a picture of them from their Instagram page...

7303818742_a1e44eb370_b.jpg

Curiously, none of the four is wearing a lab coat with a stethoscope hanging around his neck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back