Who's addicted to Girl Scout cookies like I am?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for that...however, it did not address the video they created/promoted about various "types" of families.

Thank you for that...however, it did not address the video they created/promoted about various "types" of families.

I don't believe you mentioned such a video until now.

I did a little bit of research just to educate myself on the issue.:detective: The video that LadyFlynt is referring to is called, "That's a Family." The video was made by the Women's Educational Media. From my research, it is lauded as "addressing diversity issues." The video addresses different kinds of families (single parents, adoption, divorce, gay/lesbian, guardian and mouse rat (this particular clip speaks to mixed ethnicites/races) and basically normalizes all of them.

On the WEM's website, Connie Mastsui (President, Girl Scouts of America), is quoted as making favorable remarks about the video at a "White House Screening." From what I understand, it was her comments in favor of it that caused the controversy. Here is what she said:

It’s really a pleasure to be here, and to congratulate you personally on such a wonderful product. We really look forward to using it in our informal education in working with all girls across the country. Our highest priority is to make Girl Scouting available to any girl who wants to be a Girl Scout. In order to do this, inclusiveness has to be at the core of our value system and at the core of every action we take. The Girl Scout Promise and Law includes, among its premises, "I will do my best to be considerate and caring, to be responsible for what I say and do, to respect myself and others, to be a sister to every Girl Scout." And one of the ways that we carry this out is to attract diverse leadership and diverse membership. We need to recognize that our garden is full of plants of many different kinds. Some are tall, some are short, some need shade, some need lots of sun. But there's a place for everyone here. I think the more diverse a garden is, the more it will really thrive and grow. I think this film will help reach that goal, to make sure that the face of the Girl Scouting reflects the face of the nation.

The quote was given in 2001. I am not sure if Matsui ever followed through with her remarks about "using it in our informal education in working with all girls across the country." The GS website doesn't give any indication that such is the case. That is, there is no reference to such a video at all. If there is any support or follow through by the Girl Scouts on this video other than the aforementioned quote, I can't find it on the GS site or elsewhere.

Have any of you heard anything about it being required viewing on either a local or national level?

Okay, that is a bit different than what I had heard (promotion). Can't we say the straw that broke Focus on the Family's back? I haven't listened to Dobson for a long time...now I know why. UGH!

Carry on and pass the Thin Mints! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back