Why did God let this happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hippo

Puritan Board Junior
First of all apologies if this is a basic question but I have had great difficulty in answering this question both honestly and satisfactorily.

Why does God let really really bad things happen to people who are in the eyes of the world "innocent"?

You can explain original sin but the response is that why is it fair for someone to be be punished for someopne elses sin?

I can reconcile all this in my head as I believe that even a new born baby is sinful in its heart and when bad things happen I can trust that the end result is the glory of God, even if I cannot understand how. I have great problems though in explaining this convincingly to someone who does not believe and feels great pain.

Any guidance would be really appreciated.

I wouldn't expect someone who does not believe to understand the things of God. They would rather curse Him for allowing these bad things to happen, all the while as Romans 1 tells us they do not honor nor give thanks to God but exchange his glory for mere images, even when God blesses them.

I would just say bad things that happen are yet another opportunity to proclaim the good news of the gospel to those that experience the pain and loss. Sharing God's wonderful promises of eternal life assured to all who believe should be the only thing that convinces these people of the truth and the goodness of God. Trying to work out some other mechanism to convince them isn't gonna work.

These kinds of problems are delicate. But we must return to God's perspective every time, if we are ever to find (ultimately) satisfactory answers.

1) The basic problem of any unbeliever going through their pain is: they refuse to believe God. In other words, they have an obligation to see things not as they "look" or "feel", but as they really are. And that can be quite disjunctive, because their pain is the most real thing in their experience at the moment. And they have no relief from it, only the hope of "getting it behind me sometime" because they do not believe in a God over all circumstances.

2) Your best approach with a friend in need is to love him, just be there for him, and to love God and believe Him yourself whenever you are around your friend. Let the questions come from the friend, and use such opportunities to speak the truth in love.

3) People who are hurt by injustice (lots of examples) usually feel as though God has left them, uncaring. This is too bad, since they were expecting God's favors when they had no real expectation of them. By not meeting God on His terms when times were better, they were actually spurning Him. But they are still upset when He lets something worse happen to them--as if he owed them anything. He gave his Son to DIE for sinners! But apparently, that wasn't enough of a demonstration of grace for the undeserving?

4) Remember that God is not obligated to intervene to stop what one rebel does to another rebel. Trials in this life should drive sufferers to a Savior, but the lessons are often lost on them. Whose fault is that? When ills befall His own children (and here, we must combat the error that says: we are ALL God's children), they have his promise that he has a morally sufficient justification for allowing it, and they will ultimately be better for it, Rom. 8:28.

For unbelievers, who remain that way, the problems and pains of this life, however great or small, are as incomparable to the horrors of the afterlife, as heaven's glories are incomparable to the sufferings of this life in the lives of believers (Rom 8:18). The believer has the privilege and duty to adhere to God's judgment on the matter, reorienting his own mind as far as necessary to conform to the mind of Christ.

Each situation will have different nuances to deal with, but generally i try to redirect their anger away from God and toward sin.

If the situation can bring them closer to understanding the seriousness of sin then it may bring them closer to Christ.

Why does God let really really bad things happen to people who are in the eyes of the world "innocent"?

Like what he let happen to Jesus?

Why do people let really bad things happen to God? They don't give him his due honor or praise.

They let bad things happen to God but don't like it when God lets bad things happen to them?

You can explain original sin but the response is that why is it fair for someone to be be punished for someopne elses sin?

But God chose the best representative to stand in our place at the garden. How is that not fair? God knew who had the best shot. I would rather go with God's choice than my own. An all-knowing being says that X is the best choice, then it's safe to say that X is the best man for the job. Getting the best representative we could possibly have, chosen not by a fallible, emotional democracy of humans, but rather by the infallible God, is more than fair. It would have happened to any of us since God's own pick failed.

And, we are punished for other people's sin all the time. A father makes a bad business decision, the family loses everything. The kids suffer. They get fish sticks and tater tots every night instead of meals prepared by the live-in maid, now. They have to get clothes from K-Mart instead of designer clothes from Sacks 5th Ave. They don't get cable for their room any more. This isn't fair! Perhaps the kids should get to divorce their parents and someone else should keep them living the style they were accustomed to? After all, why should people suffer for the poor choices of their representative?

Now, there's a flip side to this as well. You see, if you don't want to take Adam's guilt, then why think you should take Christ's righteousness? Is this the "fairness" we want? Go back to the kids. Let's reverse the story. Say the father was poor; he invested his last dime into a company that hit the ceiling over night. He makes $100,000,000.00 off his investment. Now, do those kids have to leave the parents? Stay accustomed to their previous style? So, when people don't want Adam's guilt, because it's not fair, then they don't get Christ's righteousness. They wanted to do it for themselves in the garden; they get to do it for themselves in the second garden--Gethsemane. They need to live the perfect life.

They are sinners. So, even if they didn't have original sin, they've sinned plenty of times since they were born.

I have great problems though in explaining this convincingly to someone who does not believe and feels great pain.

Good thing we have a God who suffered like us, in every way. Their suffering is, as Lewis observed, God's megaphone; it's getting their attention. Yes, life sucks. Why? If there's no purpose, if we've evolved out of uncaring matter, if this universe is as Bertrand Russell says in A Free Man's Worship,

Brief and powerless is Man's life; on him and all his race the slow, sure doom falls pitiless and dark. Blind to good and evil, reckless of destruction, omnipotent matter rolls on its relentless way; for Man, condemned to-day to lose his dearest, to-morrow himself to pass through the gate of darkness, it remains only to cherish, ere yet the blow falls, the lofty thoughts that ennoble his little day; disdaining the coward terrors of the slave of Fate, to worship at the shrine that his own hands have built; undismayed by the empire of chance, to preserve a mind free from the wanton tyranny that rules his outward life; proudly defiant of the irresistible forces that tolerate, for a moment, his knowledge and his condemnation, to sustain alone, a weary but unyielding Atlas, the world that his own ideals have fashioned despite the trampling march of unconscious power.

Then this is your lot. Nothing cares. There is no purpose other than what you have subjectively invented. So, your suffering is superfluous. Meaningless. Pointless.

Or, we have the Christian story. One that explains, and provides a remedy for, suffering. And it's not like God doesn't care. He sent Jesus who shared in man's suffering. Who suffered more than any of us have, given his nature as the God-man. Not only that, but we will have redemption. The curse will be reversed.

So, if your friend really is upset with suffering, really things it is a meaningful problem, then s/he needs to become a Christian. If s/he remains obstinate, consciously accepting Russell's universe, then his or her suffering is pointless, meaningless, and simply a creation of his or her mind. Time to get stoic.

So, why does God allow it? To draw people to Himself or to provide damning evidence against them. And, indeed, heaven will be that much better having had to go through suffering. A redeemed creation is better than one that never fell. Sin is ugly and disastrous. How else would we appreciate the blessings of redemption had it not been for the suffering we experience ourselves and observe in others.

What I find amusing is that we as a nation and world blasphemy God, His Son, persecute his children, endorse sin of all manners as being good and natural, attempt to usurp God from His throne as Sovereign with fictional naturalistic processes with regard to Creation and then, after we have done everything we possibly can to provoke God to anger, including spitting in His face and calling Him a lying weakling, we ask why hasn't He protected us from something bad.

Honestly, this world is in the dark. Has any one of us living on this speck of mud and rock any right to ask God why He let something happen to us when we have done everything in the world to deserve inifinitely worse?

That's probably not the answer you would want to give, but it's the truth.

What I find amusing is that we as a nation and world blasphemy God, His Son, persecute his children, endorse sin of all manners as being good and natural, attempt to usurp God from His throne as Sovereign with fictional naturalistic processes with regard to Creation and then, after we have done everything we possibly can to provoke God to anger, including spitting in His face and calling Him a lying weakling, we ask why hasn't He protected us from something bad.

Honestly, this world is in the dark. Has any one of us living on this speck of mud and rock any right to ask God why He let something happen to us when we have done everything in the world to deserve inifinitely worse?

That's probably not the answer you would want to give, but it's the truth.

The problem with this analysis is is does not really explain why (by way of a hypothetical example) a baby deserves to have a kettle of boiling water poured onto it.

The problem with this analysis is is does not really explain why (by way of a hypothetical example) a baby deserves to have a kettle of boiling water poured onto it.

Not sure I'd say that a baby deserves to have another human pour boiling water onto its head.

Why did it happen?

Becuase people are sinners.

Why didn't God stop it?

If God stopped all sin then us, the baby, and the person who poured the water, wouldn't be around. Wiped out.

So, why does your "hypothetical" objector hate himself or herself so much that they wish they never existed?

Why don't they jump off a building?

They want to live?

Oh, so they don't want God to stop all sin immediately.

I got confused. For a second I thought the hypothetical objector did want God to end all sin right now.

It's hard to keep up with all the shifting. Like nailing jell-o to the wall.

First of all apologies if this is a basic question but I have had great difficulty in answering this question both honestly and satisfactorily.

I can reconcile all this in my head as I believe that even a new born baby is sinful in its heart and when bad things happen I can trust that the end result is the glory of God, even if I cannot understand how. I have great problems though in explaining this convincingly to someone who does not believe and feels great pain.

Hippo, this is a great question. I sometimes lose sleep over the suffering that goes on in the world. I am wondering if your question is an apologetic one or an existential one. In other words, these people you talk to, are they skeptics making claims about the apparent contradiction between the love of God and the reality of his allowing suffering? Or, are these people really perplexed and vexed within themselves and suffering inner turmoil because of the suffering in the world, and they are wondering (along with the Psalmists and prophets), "Where's God in all this?"

If the former, I would say you can answer the question on a logical level. If the latter, it's more of a pastoral call. The former situation can be answered that only Christianity makes sense out of the evil in the world, and the cry for justice we feel is part of the image of God in us. Other worldviews cannot even account for such a thing as evil. Hinduism, for example, says that evil is an illusion (maya.

The pastoral answer, I think, would be to simply acknowledge that yes, there is awful suffering in the world, and God is there. Jesus' violent suffering and death is the best answer to this situation, and it's a bit of an apologetic again, but his suffering and death also shows us in real time that God identifies with our suffering and that he hates it. And, that God is recreating and regenerating the earth and will bring a new kingdom to pass. In lieu of this, God has a heart of compassion and calls us humans to fight against injustice, suffering and evil and be a part of his kingdom growth. (Natural evil, we can't really control much: earthquakes, hurricanes, tsunamis, etc.)

When people have said this to me, I usually try to put my hand on their shoulder and say, "I know. This world's a messed up place." Usually, as John Frame has said, loving relationships are key.

Last edited:
Calvin's comment on John 9:3 seems appropriate here: "so long as he was blind, there was exhibited in him a proof of the severity of God, from which others might learn to fear and to humble themselves." The question should not be, Why has God chosen for bad things to happen to me? but, Why has God chosen me to demonstrate His glory to others? In this light, the sufferings of Jesus Christ are the ultimate expression of election and service.

In addition to these awesome responses, if one dares, one could help the questioner to examine the question. The question, "Why do bad things happen to good people?" makes the assumption that we, as mortal, sinful, ignorant human beings have the ability and the authority to judge what is good and what is bad. Paul forbids us to do so when he asks "Is there unrighteousness with God?" "O man, who art thou that repliest against God?"

Believers can be taken back to the story of Joseph. Did it appear to Jacob's mortal, sinful, ignorant eyes that something bad had happened to his son? Yes! But later on it was seen "that God meant it for good."

Even unbelievers can see this fact through their own experiences. Everyone has had that experience where something happened that appeared to be bad but later on it turned out for good. Is it at all possible that the bad thing that is happening now might eventually be turned around for good? If so, let me tell you what my Bible says in Rom 8:28!

Granted, this approach can be difficult for those who are grieving, but if they are coming to you with this question, I would encourage you to be bold in your answer.

Someone once said that whenever someone asked him, "Why does God let bad things happen to good (or innocent) people?" He would always reply, No, we should be asking why anything good happens to all of us evil sinners, (himself included). We allow God to be longsuffering and yet in His tollerance we take it for granted and thus determine, in our own fallen human way, to believe we deserve to be tollerated. There are too numerous of occasions to number, for just myself, within the course of one day by which I should be struck down immediately, as with Ananias in Acts. I am not struck down by the grace of God, and permitted to live another day. So, I live by His grace and mercy daily, and yet as common as that sounds, it really has to do with life and death. We begin to formulate that certain sins or just sin as our nature is innocent, being some actions, and because of our nature, we rarely if ever in our lifetime, procure some immediate judgment. When we do encounter something of judgment we reflect only upon what we believe we, or the innocent person, "deserved." Also it is rare to hear quoted, as one of my elders once pointed out, that;

"The righteous perishes,
And no man takes it to heart;
Merciful men are taken away,
While no one considers
That the righteous is taken away from evil. " - Is. 57:1 (NKJV)

:2cents:

I haven't read all the comments following the OP, but this came to mind.

British philosopher and atheist Bertrand Russell once commented, "No one can believe in a good God if they've sat at the bedside of a dying child." Hence, in his view evil is evidence that there is no God, unless one would postulate a God that is not good.

The unfortunate reality is that the atheist can take no comfort in such a heart-wrenching situation, for in a godless existence suffering is ultimately meaningless. In Russell's own words, "Brief and powerless is Man's life; on him and all his race the slow, sure dooms falls pitiless and dark" (Philosophical Essays, 1910).

Hope and peace are only found in a sovereign God who "does all things well."

Any guidance would be really appreciated.

You asked this;
This is why Romans 5:12-21 is in the bible. You should spend some time studying this passage in-depth,to begin to understand the very root of the incarnation and the cross.
Then you will be able to start to unpack these questions.
Then you said this
I have great problems though in explaining this convincingly to someone who does not believe and feels great pain.
This again is where most of the verses dealing with the :sinfulness of sin come into play. We are dead in Adam and in a fallen sin cursed earth.
You mentioned original sin, but you must take time to develop the seriousness of the spirtual death and seperation this causes.
You must be careful and sensitive to the person you are talking to in that they must be in a right state of mind to listen to the truth or verse you would offer. It is not a track meet,going from one topic to another.
A person in "great pain" i not always receptive to a lengthy discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back