Why do bad things happen to good people?

Status
Not open for further replies.

genevabound

Puritan Board Freshman
As the title asks, why do bad things happen to good people/believers? I am having a problem getting past this question from a Reformed point of view. Events that test my faith are why kids get cancer and die, even though they and their parents may be devout. In the past I simply explained it that God was not generally active in daily events. I thought that if God were not generally involved then things just happened because they did. Viruses make kids sick and die. People choose to do evil and hurt other people, etc.

To expound, I understand that saying this could be flipped. But the idea that "bad things can be good for us" is difficult to process in light of things such as childhood diseases. I have seen it explained in different ways. Things like "it may have saved them from worse things in the future" or "to teach you a lesson", but this is hard for me to agree with on a number of levels.

I understand how God may correct us as a Father must, but when the correction affects another, how is that Fatherly? For example, I could see how God might cause my car to break down, but I fail to see how God causing or allowing my son to die of cancer is corrective. I know I am leaning on the childhood disease example, but it is because that is a real example in my life that I am trying to process.

As the title asks, why do bad things happen to good people/believers? I am having a problem getting past this question from a Reformed point of view.

This question is rooted in God's nature and his holiness. In every instance when God is revealed to humanity he warns them of not coming to close or seeing him. Isaiah 5 demonstrates that Isaiah feels very uncomfortable being in God's presence. So the most common answer is that nobody is good. We all have violated God's law, so mixing worldly good and the holiness and goodness God requires are different things. Everybody has violated God's law and deserve punishment. God being rich in mercy chooses to same some by grace. Many will say the better question is why does God save anybody at all.

"There is none good but God." - God, definer of good/bad, right/wrong

The LORD does all things well, and this -truly- can only be grasped by faith. We confess with the Apostle, "Let God be true, and every man a liar," including ourselves if we find our heart's thoughts questioning the truth of such. This was precisely one of Job's faults, and -in the end- He did not receive an explanation as to why God took his riches, his children, and even his own health. No man may say to the LORD, What doest thou? His ways are past finding out. The things He has revealed about Himself are those things which are ours, and inform our duty, not His secret providential exercises (Deut. 29.29). This does not lessen the struggle in our weakened and idolatrous hearts, but it is nevertheless the truth, and something we must take hold of by faith: He does all things well, and it is for His glory, and His people's good. This may be unsatisfactory to the natural way of thinking, and -quite so- because, by nature, we hate God, and think He owes something to us. That noted, as fellow image-bearers, we are to exercise patience and sympathy one with another, as hard providences hit, not presuming -as Job's friends did- that there is necessarily some hypocrisy on the part of the sufferers, etc. We mourn with those who mourn, etc. We come alongside them and give a word in season to the weary, etc. And we do all these things giving glory to God, and not charging Him with folly, or unfairness, since He -because Him being LORD of all- can do no wrong.

This question is rooted in God's nature and his holiness. In every instance when God is revealed to humanity he warns them of not coming to close or seeing him. Isaiah 5 demonstrates that Isaiah feels very uncomfortable being in God's presence. So the most common answer is that nobody is good. We all have violated God's law, so mixing worldly good and the holiness and goodness God requires are different things. Everybody has violated God's law and deserve punishment. God being rich in mercy chooses to same some by grace. Many will say the better question is why does God save anybody at all.

"There is none good but God." - God, definer of good/bad, right/wrong

The LORD does all things well, and this -truly- can only be grasped by faith. We confess with the Apostle, "Let God be true, and every man a liar," including ourselves if we find our heart's thoughts questioning the truth of such. This was precisely one of Job's faults, and -in the end- He did not receive an explanation as to why God took his riches, his children, and even his own health. No man may say to the LORD, What doest thou? His ways are past finding out. The things He has revealed about Himself are those things which are ours, and inform our duty, not His secret providential exercises (Deut. 29.29). This does not lessen the struggle in our weakened and idolatrous hearts, but it is nevertheless the truth, and something we must take hold of by faith: He does all things well, and it is for His glory, and His people's good. This may be unsatisfactory to the natural way of thinking, and -quite so- because, by nature, we hate God, and think He owes something to us. That noted, as fellow image-bearers, we are to exercise patience and sympathy one with another, as hard providences hit, not presuming -as Job's friends did- that there is necessarily some hypocrisy on the part of the sufferers, etc. We mourn with those who mourn, etc. We come alongside them and give a word in season to the weary, etc. And we do all these things giving glory to God, and not charging Him with folly, or unfairness, since He -because Him being LORD of all- can do no wrong.

These are both good answers, and honestly the same kind that I have read before. Not to minimize your replies or writings, but it just does not "sit" well for me.

I know I am not good. I know that everyone is fallen and is deserving of punishment. But, I have a very hard time separating punishments doled out to me and punishments to children. I suppose that my main issue is with kids, not so much adults. Why does God allow a child to die, while another in the same situation lives? What good is there in that? What kind of God that is active in our daily lives, has an interest in us and our salvation allows a child to suffer greatly? Why pray for someone's recovery if it has already been written? Why bother? I have seen too many people that turn from God rather than to God because of these situations.

This is a struggle for me. In my personal life I know of people that have been afflicted and came out believers still, but I know in my heart that if my son were taken from me I could not. This is my struggle. I want to believe that God is fully in control of everything that happens, that His Will is done and will be done in all, but I just can't see how a child suffering, even if said child is "wicked" (not in actions, but as we all are), gives glory to God.

Stephen, please forgive me if I am coming across as insensitive, as I do not mean to undervalue the gravity of your circumstances. It is God Who causes the preservation and perseverance of His saints. His people may no more secure themselves than a paralyzed man in a down stream gushing river. Your son is God's son, first, Him being the womb-opener, womb-closer, and life-taker of all. God has not granted us a comprehensive understanding in His ways, whether it be the apparent perpetuity and advancement of the wicked, or the apparent deprivation and destruction of the righteous. We're simply not privy to such things apart from God's divine revelation of such in the Scriptures. Our inability to comprehend how such things give glory to God does not make them any less glorifying to Him. Such revelations are not owed us. This does not take away from the pain, angst, sorrow, and discomfort of God's frowning providences, and it is fine, even required, to cry out to Him in our pain (short of charging Him with folly). One use to be made of every affliction is that God has promised such things will advance us more and more to the image of His Son, if we make right use of the means of His blessing. Again, this may not mitigate the temporal pain, suffering, and sorrow, of undergoing such, but our lack of comprehension in the LORD's working does not make the truth of it any less so. May the LORD grant you comfort in this very dark providence, and grant you a resting upon His good promises to save to the uttermost any who come to Him.

Stephen, please forgive me if I am coming across as insensitive, as I do not mean to undervalue the gravity of your circumstances. It is God Who causes the preservation and perseverance of His saints. His people may no more secure themselves than a paralyzed man in a down stream gushing river. Your son is God's son, first, Him being the womb-opener, womb-closer, and life-taker of all. God has not granted us a comprehensive understanding in His ways, whether it be the apparent perpetuity and advancement of the wicked, or the apparent deprivation and destruction of the righteous. We're simply not privy to such things apart from God's divine revelation of such in the Scriptures. Our inability to comprehend how such things give glory to God does not make them any less glorifying to Him. Such revelations are not owed us. This does not take away from the pain, angst, sorrow, and discomfort of God's frowning providences, and it is fine, even required, to cry out to Him in our pain (short of charging Him with folly). One use to be made of every affliction is that God has promised such things will advance us more and more to the image of His Son, if we make right use of the means of His blessing. Again, this may not mitigate the temporal pain, suffering, and sorrow, of undergoing such, but our lack of comprehension in the LORD's working does not make the truth of it any less so. May the LORD grant you comfort in this very dark providence, and grant you a resting upon His good promises to save to the uttermost any who come to Him.
Thank you, this is actually very helpful.

The late John Gerstner wrote a primer entitled "The Problem of Pleasure," in which he turned the question around. He suggested the question should not be why do bad things happen to good people, but rather, "Why does a sinner ever know one moment's pleasure in this life?" That primer can be found in the Soli Deo Gloria book "Primitive Theology: The Collected Primers of John H. Gerstner." It is out of print. Used copies can be found at bookfinder.com, but they are quite expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back