Why Johnny Can't Preach

Status
Not open for further replies.
""Description: T. David Gordon has identified a problem, one that affects us all and needs fixing. Our preaching is just not communication properly anymore. Fortunately, Gordon not only explains the causes of this failure but also shows us how to make things better."

:spitlol:

The recent "Reformed Forum" podcast is devoting an episode to the book.

reformedforum.org

I am in the midst of a heavy course-load at school, but when this came out I set aside an afternoon and read this book. It is quite right in observing the present generation’s inability to read (texts) and write – I found myself deeply convicted.

I am taking my preaching courses at GCTS now and wish that this would be mandatory reading, sold rubber-banded to Dr. Robinson’s Biblical Preaching. I gave away my copy of this to a fellow student within 24 hours of getting it and I plan to order other copies to give out – I can think of no higher compliment I can give Dr. Gordon.

This is a great book that illuminates an issue that this coming generation of preachers must confront.

I have a friend named Johnny that is also a preacher. It would be fun to buy it for him as a gag- of course, he can preach!

So I suspect that this may be a sensitive topic among our Preachers on PB as who wants to admit that they might be a "Johnny". :p

This is definitely not a gift that you would purchase for your Pastor during Pastor Appreciation Month. :eek:

But in all seriousness if a Pastor is a member of PB they are probably not the audience who needs this book the most and yet with the Grace and Humility I've seen demonstrated from these men I wouldn't put it past them to admit that they may be able to glean something from it. We have a great group of Godly, Passionate Pastors on the PB who I have learned much from in my tenure here who probably agree overall in America good preaching is on the decline as we acquiesce to the Culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back