Winter Coat

Status
Not open for further replies.

py3ak

Unshaven and anonymous
Staff member
I need to get a new jacket/coat for winter, and thought I would commune with the hive mind first.

It has to be black, it has to be cheap, it has to be warm enough to preserve me while I stand futilely at a bus stop waiting for a bus that is almost always late but not give me heatstroke when I actually enter the overheated bus, it can't be noisy, and it shouldn't make me look like an armadillo or an Italian. It also has to be something that can be ordered on line. What do you recommend?

Ruben,

FYI my mother is of Sicilian descent. My uncle Louie was, how shall we say, a connected guy. I can't understand why you would take a pot shot at Italians. I like you Ruben, I really do. I'd hate to see anything happen to you; but you never know these days. One minute you can be sitting snug as a bug typing on the Puritan Board, and then - boom - you get a knock on your door by Sal the Barber, carrying his violin case. I'm sure what you meant to say is that you don't want to look like a poorly dressed Italian. I'll make sure my "friends" understand that your comment was taken out of context.

Fuhgedabodit.

Bill, if it's any comfort I don't want to look like a Bostonian, a sailor, or a Russian, either.

Bill, if it's any comfort I don't want to look like a Bostonian, a sailor, or a Russian, either.

I'm sure your caveat will be comforting to Joey "two thumbs" Valdecchio. I'll make sure he gets the message.

ebay--I recently picked up a very nice Pendleton wool winter coat there for around 30 bucks. Granted, it wasn't black, but brown tweed.

I got a nice jacket at Walmart last winter. It's lasted me until now. Wouldn't want to stand at the bus stop with it though.

On the plus side, when combined with a fedora it makes you look like Indiana Jones.

edit: And, it cost less than $20.

Do down jackets make you look like an armadillo? I got an REI down jacket a couple of years ago and it has been wonderful. Not really puffy, very warm when zipped, not too bad when unzipped.

Yes, down jackets are often noisy and look like they were modelled on armadillos.
Is there any way to find out what temperatures a given coat or jacket is rated to withstand?

Good Will and Salvation Army. If those fail you, take a trip up here to Maine and go to Marden's.

Probably the most helpful way is to read the customer reviews of the jacket.

Note of course, there is a difference between genders and warmth is somewhat subjective.:)

I have a number of different LL Bean and Pendleton coats from when I lived in colder climes. LL Bean makes a lot of different styles of coats and their ratings are right there on the page.

If you are looking for cheap, black (well nearly so), and versatile try to find a Bridge Coat. They are longer than a Pea Coat so you won't look quite as 'sailorish' to most. I have one and a Pea Coat. They are both great.

Yes, down jackets are often noisy and look like they were modelled on armadillos.
Is there any way to find out what temperatures a given coat or jacket is rated to withstand?

Yep, LL Bean & Lands End both do that. LE has coats rated for fairly cold weather (below zero) that make no one look like an armadillo. I bought one 3 weeks ago (uh, the women's version) and I really like it. Plus, LE is having some great sales right now. Do you want a professional-looking, warm 3/4 length? LE has 'em.

Margaret

P.S. Typing on my husband's laptop right now because my desktop's hard-drive has been destroyed by malware. Getting it fixed - just not for awhile. R. uses his laptop a lot & I'm going to sneak in here & there...

The Hive Mind has spoken! In the meantime, Harley did her own thing, so the coat problem should be solved next week. Thanks and an extra ration of pollen to all of you.

Yep, looking at two Carharrts right now. One is a hooded light weight jacket. The other is an arctic lined jacket. They are both in just plain ol' tan. Well, one has some stains from various animal, soil, and petroleum sources on it. ;)

I live in quite a cold climate and I agree with everyone who has recommended LL Bean and Lands End. The temperature ratings are great, because often what looks warm is actually not. AND they are both having good sales right now.

Try Burlington Coat Factory. They'll have GREAT sales after Christmas (typically). They typically have a large clearance section all year, too.

Sue

I got a nice jacket at Walmart last winter. It's lasted me until now. Wouldn't want to stand at the bus stop with it though.

On the plus side, when combined with a fedora it makes you look like Indiana Jones.

edit: And, it cost less than $20.

They're selling men's coats for $7 right now at Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back