"Word of God" OR "word of God?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

InSlaveryToChrist

Puritan Board Junior
It seems it is a big deal to my fellow lutheran evangelicals that I don't write God's Word with a capital W. They say that when we write "Word" it refers only to Christ, not to the Scriptures. This is why they prefer using small letters when speaking of God's word. Is this correct thinking?

Is this a Finnish language custom? Or is it a Lutheran variant?

Rules for capitalizing vary among cultures and languages, of course. But, in English, I don't think anyone uses capital letters to distinguish Christ as God's Word from Scripture as God's Word.

God's Word, whether it refers to Lord Christ or to his written revelation, is singular in the sense of being the complete and only revelation of God. I think that deserves a capital letter if anything does.

I prefer "Word of God." But I don't think anybody will be going to hell over a capitalization rule :D

perhaps it comes from: 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God.
John 1:1-2 (ESV) and :14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.
John 1:14 (ESV)
Captizalation as seen in the following seems to depend on who's writting what:?
The Westminster Confession of Faith — (1646) - CHAPTER I. — Of the holy Scripture.
Under the name of holy Scripture, or the Word of God written, are now contained all the Books of the Old and New Testament, which are these:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
I've gotten into the habit of always capitalizing Word when referring to the Bible and I don't see any reason to change. I suppose some might see a hint of Bibliolatry in that but I see Word and Bible as synonymous and so it ought to be capitalized. As J. Dean said, you probably won't go to Hell for not capitalizing or capitalizing the word, but I hope you like a longer stay in purgatory... or is it Purgatory?

I'll have to confess I have egg all over my face. Of course there are examples of English usage following Samuel's example.

John 1, as noted, capitalizes "Word." Hebrews 4:12 does not.

So I go back to the woodshed.

At least I can point out that some manuscripts don't use capitals at all, while others capitalize everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back