Work on the Sabbath

Status
Not open for further replies.

knight4christ8

Puritan Board Freshman
I have reviewed a few threads, but didn't find much on the particular issue. I would appreciate it if only Sabbatarian minded WCF adherants reply. Thanks.

I am a full-time college student, who also runs a roadside service on commercial semi diesel trucks. I have never run my business on the Sabbath, but for some reason am struggling to figure out now if it is a work of necessity and mercy. Many of these truck drivers could be on the side of the road for anywhere from 3 to 15 hours if they break down between Sat after 2pm to Mon at 8am. There are atleast two other svc.s who work on Sun., but b/c of the danger that truckers face when broke down on the side of the Interstate I wonder if I am doing more harm than good when I do not answer the phone on Sun. Often there are no other services available for immediate svc. other than me. Can anyone guide me and direct me. I do not want justification for making money. In fact, I would love to do it for free, but at the same time I think of the time w/my family that I am missing. I also have an employee who works, and I am wondering about the example that I should set for him. He is a new christian.

This of course would in no way be allowed to hinder my gathering together w/other believers Sun. morning, but I am wondering about working 3-5 hours in order to get them off of the road.

Thanks.
Greg
 
If it's an emergency, then I would not think it should violate conscience. But often our sinful motives can mix with the good. I know, as a nurse, I may have to work sundays too, because there is a necessity. But at the same time, I know I could work alot of sundays and make more money. It's sometimes hard to stay in the right mindest, when you could justify it easily to others under pious motives. Do what your conscience allows. Be mindful of your motives.
 
It's never wrong to do good on the Sabbath days, but I think often sub-consiously we do come up with excuses that make a particular scenrio seem right at the time. It's only when we're far enough removed from the situation that we realize it's just an excuse.

There is a difference between a driver being inconvenienced and in danger. I would think that in most situations it is more of an convenience to a driver...unless other circumstances make it a particularly bad area, bad wheather, bad visibility, etc. For such times you can have an answering machine and monitor your messages...and if you feel that it is a particularly dangerous situation than you have the freedom to respond.
 
"Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath."--Col 2:16 (ESV)

Your profession is a necessary service. Trust your conscience to Christ alone.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top