WSC Q: 22 - a "reasonable" soul?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason d

Puritan Board Freshman
What does it mean in the Westminster Shorter Catechism question 22 when it says "reasonable"?

Q:22
How did Christ, being the Son of God, become man?

A:
Christ, the Son of God, became man, by taking to himself a true body and a reasonable soul, being conceived by the power of the Holy Ghost in the womb of the virgin Mary, and born of her, yet without sin.

:confused: :bueller:

Hello Jason! I believe that it basically means that just as we have a soul, Christ had a human soul. I think it was a reaction to the views of some in the early church who affirmed that Christ had a "true body," but not a "reasonable (human) soul."

Last edited:
This is classic, catholic, and creedal language from the Definition of Chaldecon, where the teaching of Apollinarius was rejected. Basically, Apollinarius taught a tri-partite view of Christ, with a body, a lower "animal" soul, and the Word as the higher soul. Our father rejected this, stating Christ was truly human, meaning, he had a true body and "rational/reasonable" (not "animal") soul.

I always thought it meant a rational soul as opposed to an animal soul, but I didn't know the history behind why it would be necessary to specify that with regards to Christ. Thanks, Rev. Hyde.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back