Your Sabbath

Status
Not open for further replies.

W.C. Dean

Puritan Board Sophomore
Hello everyone, I'm sure this question has been discussed before but I wanted to bring it up today. How is your Sabbath/Lord's Day spent? As some of you may have picked up before, (I think I've mentioned it) I am 17 years old and consequently live at home with my parents. I was convicted of the Puritan view of the Sabbath not very long ago and celebrate the day separate from my unbelieving father and my Christian mother who doesn't have the same view of the day as I do. I'm still trying to work out how I ought to go about the day without making it legalistic but I do take comfort in the fact that I believe I am rejoicing in it and enjoying it the more I participate. My Sabbath day usually looks like this:

-Awake and take care of my dog (let outside and feed)
-Read Scripture (4 chapters today, but on January 1st I'm starting a plan where I'll read 10 chapters everyday)
-Prepare for and go to the SBC church near our house for morning worship
-Get home and read (this is usually how I spend most of the day, reading edifying literature)
-Some time in the middle of the day I sometimes listen to a sermon online
-[Singing Psalms, but usually spread out throughout the day. I've started sometimes singing a verse at the end of my prayers as well. I always sing them alone]
-Get ready and travel to the OPC mission work for evening worship
-Get home pretty late and read some more, watch a sermon/lecture with my mother
-Pray with my mother and then by myself, end day

I do need to do some modifying, specifically adding much more Scripture. Where I fail the most however, Sabbath or any other day, is spending time in dedicated prayer. This is perhaps my greatest failure in my Christian life, so I would ask you brothers and sisters to perhaps pray for me. When we get home from morning corporate worship we eat together and my father always watches football, and I usually listen to instrumental/classical music and read to draw my mind away from the TV set, today I listened to Psalm recordings. I would also like to add more Psalm singing but it's a little strange I must admit to try to sing by myself upstairs or whatnot without drawing the attention of my parents.

Once again I wish not to form a list of do's and don't's but rather improve my time spent worshipping the Lord. Enjoy this day of rest from the worship and sanctify it brethren!

It sounds like you have a general idea of how you are able to spend a Lord's Day. I understand that it can be difficult, especially when there is not another person to participate with you as you believe you ought. It was difficult for me when I was 19 and living with my parents for a time before I got married. I often spent my days much like you described.

As for now, my husband and I spend our Lord's Days in a variety of ways - certainly attending to Sunday School, Worship at our church, prayer, Scripture reading...but also we'll sometimes listen to podcasts or sermons on the commute to/from church (and sometimes finish at home); at home we read relevant works--this can range from Commentaries, to church history books, to doctrinal or devotional works...often we are in multiple things "at once" as it were. We also spend a great deal in conversation, often reflecting on the sermon, or passages, or things we have read or thought of. It might be difficult for you to find someone, but I found that when I was with my parents even alone just taking the dog out for a walk to reflect on a recent sermon or passage was helpful because it often rejuvenated me through reflection, but also helped to "get out of the house" when I felt it was difficult to be there when family life was not conducive for Sabbath keeping. Also, at least for me, we were in a rural area so no one minded my singing, not even my dog Moose. :)

Also, it sounds like you do have a relationship with your mother. Perhaps on top of consuming good things and praying with her, you can also engage her in conversation/reflection on the things from the sermon, things of Christian importance, etc in your lives--more intentionally talking/reflecting on the things you hear or read. Talking with another person, with other Christians in particular, about the good things of Christ has been one of the things that has helped me most in my growth, and has helped me to learn and grow so much--even in just a set of 52 Sabbaths a year!

It sounds like you have a general idea of how you are able to spend a Lord's Day. I understand that it can be difficult, especially when there is not another person to participate with you as you believe you ought. It was difficult for me when I was 19 and living with my parents for a time before I got married. I often spent my days much like you described.

As for now, my husband and I spend our Lord's Days in a variety of ways - certainly attending to Sunday School, Worship at our church, prayer, Scripture reading...but also we'll sometimes listen to podcasts or sermons on the commute to/from church (and sometimes finish at home); at home we read relevant works--this can range from Commentaries, to church history books, to doctrinal or devotional works...often we are in multiple things "at once" as it were. We also spend a great deal in conversation, often reflecting on the sermon, or passages, or things we have read or thought of. It might be difficult for you to find someone, but I found that when I was with my parents even alone just taking the dog out for a walk to reflect on a recent sermon or passage was helpful because it often rejuvenated me through reflection, but also helped to "get out of the house" when I felt it was difficult to be there when family life was not conducive for Sabbath keeping. Also, at least for me, we were in a rural area so no one minded my singing, not even my dog Moose. :)

Also, it sounds like you do have a relationship with your mother. Perhaps on top of consuming good things and praying with her, you can also engage her in conversation/reflection on the things from the sermon, things of Christian importance, etc in your lives--more intentionally talking/reflecting on the things you hear or read. Talking with another person, with other Christians in particular, about the good things of Christ has been one of the things that has helped me most in my growth, and has helped me to learn and grow so much--even in just a set of 52 Sabbaths a year!

I thank you dearly ma'am for your message. I do feel like I did underscore my relationship with my mother. It is quite strong and we talk extensively about theological matters, but I should attempt to discuss the sermon and other matters with her more. I also frequently sing in the presence of my dog. Once again thank you.

-Read Scripture (4 chapters today, but on January 1st I'm starting a plan where I'll read 10 chapters everyday)

I do need to do some modifying, specifically adding much more Scripture.

I tried reading a similar amount of scripture when I was your age; I learned by experience that reading that much of the Bible every day is not realistic if you wish to truly profit from it. While reading quickly large amounts to familiarise yourself with the contents of the Bible is fine, meditative reading requires you to read much smaller portions.

Typically my Sundays are as follows:

Jolt awake from a short, interrupted sleep, and crawl or stumble out of bed in a zombie-like state

Work and rush all morning to get kids changed, fed, dressed, pottied, while trying to get myself ready for church. Then load everyone up in the van.

Spend the entire worship service keeping kids quiet and calm, missing most of the sermon and having no heart engagement

If we stay afterwards for the fellowship meal, try to get my kids to eat the food that is offered, and then make sure they don’t get out of one of the doors on to the street, or smack their heads against concrete floor, etc., while having a few sentences worth of fellowship with other people. Then load everyone up in the van.

Go home. Get kids changed and ready for nap time.

Fall into a heap, dreading the sound of waking children (or of those who never fell asleep at all)

Spend all evening on kids being fed, changed, pottied, bath time, milk time, another potty time, changed for bed, floss their teeth, brush their teeth.

Put them to bed. Change another diaper 20 minutes later because one doesn’t poop in the potty.

Look back at the net-zero spiritual benefit from the Lord’s Day, and wonder why we even bother going to church.

Jolt awake from a short, interrupted sleep, and crawl or stumble out of bed in a zombie-like state

Work and rush all morning to get kids changed, fed, dressed, pottied, while trying to get myself ready for church. Then load everyone up in the van.

Spend the entire worship service keeping kids quiet and calm, missing most of the sermon and having no heart engagement

If we stay afterwards for the fellowship meal, try to get my kids to eat the food that is offered, and then make sure they don’t get out of one of the doors on to the street, or smack their heads against concrete floor, etc., while having a few sentences worth of fellowship with other people. Then load everyone up in the van.

Fall into a heap, dreading the sound of waking children (or of those who never fell asleep at all)

Spend all evening on kids being fed, changed, pottied, bath time, milk time, another potty time, changed for bed, floss their teeth, brush their teeth.

Put them to bed. Change another diaper 20 minutes later because one doesn’t poop in the potty.

Look back at the net-zero spiritual benefit from the Lord’s Day, and wonder why we even bother going to church.
Your not alone brother! I was thinking a similar thing. However, the current crew of 3 are good nappers so I usually get to read some good stuff during their nap between services and later in the night!

I think you might have more kids then me though. Nonetheless I hope you stay encouraged! We are still blessed by the service, but family worship has helped teach the girls to be still-ish.

Your not alone brother! I was thinking a similar thing. However, the current crew of 3 are good nappers so I usually get to read some good stuff during their nap between services and later in the night!

I think you might have more kids then me though. Nonetheless I hope you stay encouraged! We are still blessed by the service, but family worship has helped teach the girls to be still-ish.
I only have three. 2.8y, 2.8y, 5mo

That's pretty funny actually.

I enjoy Sunday now, and going to church. Five kids are grown. Back when they were little it was the hardest day of the week. I used to puzzle about how could it mean rest in any literal sense, especially when a baby fell asleep at church or in the car and then woke up and stayed awake while the others napped. I had a very helpful husband or I think I might have quit going at all during the nursing days. I would openly say that Sunday was the worst day of the week.

Hang in there, it does get easier.

I tried reading a similar amount of scripture when I was your age; I learned by experience that reading that much of the Bible every day is not realistic if you wish to truly profit from it. While reading quickly large amounts to familiarise yourself with the contents of the Bible is fine, meditative reading requires you to read much smaller portions.

I agree with you about meditating on smaller portions, that will be good for the Sabbath as well. However, I still want to set apart the time to read that much this year because I only became Reformed in the late summer/early fall. This will be like looking at Scripture in its entirety with new eyes, and I'm excited for that. I appreciate your advice and will most likely adhere to it on subsequent Sabbath days.

My Lord's Day today was as follows:
My wife and I woke up. We conversed on the things of our God, prepared our hearts for worship, and read Scripture before the first service.
We went to church for the morning service. We partook of the Lord's Supper, as we do every Lord's Day. Then, we fellowshipped with some members and the pastor for a bit.
After the morning service, my wife and I had our usual sermon discussion. After, I lead my wife in our Sabbath study on the attributes of God.
I then read and meditated on Malachi. After that, I took a short nap. I had a rough go at sleep last night.
The rest of the afternoon, I read Dallimore's two-volume biography of George Whitefield.
My wife and I prayed together and then ate dinner.
We went to the evening service. After the service, we hung around for an hour talking with the pastor, his family, and another brother.
After that, my wife and I came home. We reflected on the things we learned from the day.
Afterward, I continued, up until typing this post, to read Whitefield's biography. My wife is currently reading Scripture.
When I am done for the night reading this biography, my wife and I will have family worship and continue to work through the Psalms before bed. Family worship includes starting in prayer. Reading the portion of Scripture. Read from the Family Worship Bible Guide. Then I add my own commentary on the passage. We discuss the meaning, and it's the application for our lives. We sing a Psalm and then finish in prayer.
I will probably finish the evening reading Bishop Hall's Contemplations.
Prayer was sprinkled in throughout various parts of the day.
My apologies if there any typos. My phone is going crazy. It suffered some water damage yesterday.

Last edited:
My Lord's Day today was as follows:
My wife and I woke up. We conversed on the things of our God, prepared our hearts for worship, and read Scripture before the first service.
We went to church for the morning service. We partook of the Lord's Supper, as we do every Lord's Day. Then, we fellowshipped with some members and the pastor for a bit.
After the morning service, my wife and I had our usual sermon discussion. After, I lead my wife in our Sabbath study on the attributes of God.
Afterword read and meditated on Malachi and then took a short nap. I had a rough go at sleep last night.
The rest of the afternoon, I read Dallimore's two-volume biography of George Whitefield.
My wife and I prayed together and then ate dinner.
We went to the evening service. After the service, we hung around for an hour talking with the pastor, his family, and another brother.
After that, my wife and I came home. We reflected on the things we learned from the day.
Afterward, I continued, up until typing this post, to read Whitefield's biography. My wife is currently reading Scripture.
When I am done for the night reading this biography, my wife and I will have family worship and continue to work through the Psalms before bed. Family worship includes starting in prayer. Reading the portion of Scripture. Read from the Family Worship Bible Guide. Then I add my own commentary on the passage. We discuss the meaning, and it's the application for our lives. We sing a Psalm and then finish in prayer.
I will probably finish the evening reading Bishop Hall's Contemplations.
Prayer was sprinkled in throughout various parts of the day.

Wow.

Wow indeed. No doubt our brother from Michigan is a sinful man but your explanation of what your Sabbath looks like is admirable.
I am a lowly sinner, indeed. It takes much discipline. The Lord's Day is my absolute favorite day. My weeks are very demanding. The Lord's Day is, as the Puritans said, my market day of the soul.

I am a lowly sinner, indeed. It takes much discipline. The Lord's Day is my absolute favorite day. My weeks are very demanding. The Lord's Day is, as the Puritans said, my market day of the soul.
Indeed. I always rejoice in the day that I know I will be intentionally shutting out the noise of the world.

The feeling of edification is more difficult with rugrats, but still possible even among Lord’s Days where we feel we failed.

I think no matter where one’s current Lord’s Day practices are, we should strive to improve! Personally, I want to strive to be more intentional on acts of mercy.

Do you and your wife have children? If so, presumably they have moved out now. What did your Sabbath look like if you had children?

Do you and your wife have children? If so, presumably they have moved out now. What did your Sabbath look like if you had children?
My wife and I have not been able to have children as of yet, prayers are appreciated. We are still reasonably young. She is 28, and I am 34. Our Lord's Day would, by necessity, play out much differently if we had children.

With 3 young kids (gingers:eek:), here is what we strive for (though sometimes it can be crash and burn)

-Dad (me) wakes up at 5am prays and reads a doctrinal work

-Make coffee

-Mom wakes and we begin getting ourselves and the girls ready (5,3, 1/12). Kids eat breakfast.

- We all attend a 9:15 prayer meeting prior to services beginning

- Attend SS and service

-Go home eat lunch and put kids to nap.

-Mom & Dad read and discuss sermon and doctrine (mom might also nap as she stays more tired than me with newborn)

-Girls wake and we do catechisms and sometimes sing psalms. Sometimes we do this in the back yard if they want to swing in nice weather. It helps them get energy out for PM service.

-Go to evening worship

-Come home, eat dinner, put girls to sleep

-Mom and Dad talk, mange newborn, and go to bed.

Again the above are most Lord’s Days. Satan and our flesh have often caused us to fail in things like arguments and anger.

Last edited:
Just hearing about a Sunday with little ones often exhausts me. One of the ladies at church told me she would just go home and cry (if she wasn't home with sick children anyway).

If it's any encouragement, I love the passage in Isaiah 58 which includes the kind of love several of you speak of showing your families (from Dr. Motyer's translation in 'Isaiah by the Day') :

Is not this the fast I choose --
to undo the fetters of wickedness --
to unfasten the straps of the yoke --
to let the crushed go free --
and that you should fracture every yoke?
Is it not to break your bread for the hungry,
and to give shelter to the downtrodden homeless?
When you see the naked, cover him!
And from your own flesh do not hide yourself.​

Dr. Motyer's marginal note on this last phrase: "For this use of 'hide yourself', meaning 'fail to help', see Deut 22:1,4. 'Your own flesh' (as we would say, 'your flesh and blood'): not to forget that kindness and charity begin at home."

It doesn't make all that young parents have to go through to get to church less exhausting, but maybe it makes the exhaustion a little less frustrating to know that this is part of what the Word being made flesh looks like for a season. It's vitally precious to Christ -- His day wouldn't be kept at all as He wants without love and care for your dependent family.

With 3 young kids (gingers:eek:), here is what we strive for (though sometimes it can be crash and burn)

-Dad (me) wakes up at 5am prays and reads a doctrinal work

-Make coffee

-Mom wakes and we begin getting ourselves and the girls ready (5,3, 1/12). Kids eat breakfast.

- We all attend a 9:15 prayer meeting prior to services beginning

- Attend SS and service

-Go home eat lunch and put kids to nap.

-Mom & Dad read and discuss sermon and doctrine (mom might also nap as she stays more tired than me with newborn)

-Girls wake and we do catechisms and sometimes sing psalms. Sometimes we do this in the back yard if they want to swing in nice weather. It helps them get energy out for PM service.

-Go to evening worship

-Come home, eat dinner, put girls to sleep

-Mom and Dad talk, mange newborn, and go to bed.

Again the above are most Lord’s Days. Satan and our flesh have often caused us to fail in things like arguments and anger.

In my opinion sir this sounds like close to the ideal Sabbath with young children. Thank you for sharing.

In my opinion sir this sounds like close to the ideal Sabbath with young children. Thank you for sharing.
It is for us at least. Sometimes they have played with barbies or puzzles (for our sanity). However, once they learn to read that should get easier (we hope) as we plan to push them to read Christian works if they have other down time.

We cut out TV all together, not because we believe “Thou shalt not watch tv on the Lord’s Day” necessarily, but more as a practical way to teach even a 2yr. Old that the Lord’s Day is different. Though we have in the past let them watch dreamworks Joseph and the Coat of many colors before (again for sanity and should get easier as they get older).

All in all I still want to find better ways of doing acts of mercy.

Last edited:

Love it! Sounds like us. :)

Isn't it wonderful that the God who never ceases the work of providence and showing mercy also expects us to exercise work of necessity and mercy on His day?

As to the OP, @W.C. Dean , nearly an entire day of reading/sermon listening may profit you, but be sure you are also looking out for the welfare of those around you, in the household, church and community as there is opportunity, as this is an appropriate use of your time.

I am old. LOL I don't have the hinderances of kids any longer. I have had health issues for years. So to wake up is a blessing if waking up is a blessing. I count it so. I want to see my Grandchildren.

I get up. Start the coffee pot up and start reading. Text my son to make sure he gets up for Church. Get cleaned up for church. Daniel comes over and we talk a bit. Head to Church. After Church we talk a bit on the ride home. Usually about the sermon. Head to Mom's house. She lives a few blocks away from home. We owe Mom the time so she gets it by cooking us dinner after Church. My Youngest son and his wife show up some also. I usually drag someone from Church there too. LOL. She usually has a game or race on the TV and we eat and talk. As soon as I am done eating I leave and go home and sleep till around 5 PM. I even leave my guests. I don't stick around. Then I get up and catch up with my neighbor. I take care of her dog during the week. It is old and has various diseases. Cushings is one of them. She is a school teacher. She is like my older Sister and has known me most of my life. I live in my Grandparent's old house. Then I settle in for the rest of the week, some FB, reading, and PB. I get a lot done on this day. A lot of Sleep. LOL. I am past raising kids or having to deal with the stuff most others have too. And I am thankful for that. I get to sit back and pray for the rest others need. Literally. Inwardly and outwardly.

I agree with you about meditating on smaller portions, that will be good for the Sabbath as well.

Just my :2cents:

I find it useful to do a broader survey of the whole bible (aka some sort of reading plan) + a more in-depth study of a passage (usually taking time through a book of the Bible with a commentary). Those two approaches don't have to be mutually exclusive.

I do need to do some modifying, specifically adding much more Scripture. Where I fail the most however, Sabbath or any other day, is spending time in dedicated prayer. This is perhaps my greatest failure in my Christian life, so I would ask you brothers and sisters to perhaps pray for me.

Greetings,

For me, nowadays, prayer is often--even usually--easy and natural. But let me explain 'easy,' and 'natural,' by what I do not mean. I do not say that prayer is relaxing or southing. Often it is quite the contrary. It is vigorous and energetic and takes all the powers of heart, mind, and even body, as I am enabled by the Holy Spirit. Sometimes it takes me almost to the depths of despair as the Word and Spirit shine light on the condition of my natural man--what Paul calls the flesh. At these times, the only rescue is the light of the Word of God (theology). All our weaknesses and shortcomings are from the one root--sin. Without the Truth of the Gospel and firm theological knowledge of the Atonement, all hope of real prayer would be lost, and I would rise from my knees the worse for the experience. Here are a few points to remember.
  1. Remember--Your only hope is in God alone. "Oh Lord, you are my only hope. In you, I put all my trust. Help me, or I perish."
  2. Be sure your prayers are Trinitarian."Oh high and Holy Father, author of salvation, lover of my soul, (John 3:16), thank you for sending your only Son and my Savior Jesus who died in my place for each and every sin. (1 John 1:9) Even the sins of this moment intertwined with this, my prayers. I know You, Jesus, ever liveth to make intercession on my behalf. (Hebrews 7:25) Dear Yahweh, send your promised Holy Spirit (John 14:16-18) to help me to pray, for I do not know how to pray as I ought. (Romans 8:26)
  3. Above All - Make all your prayers God-centered. Make it your aim in all things to glorify God "and blessed be thy glorious name, which is exalted above all blessing and praise. (Nehemiah 9:5) God has a few "prayer requests," too. (see Matthes 6:9-10)
A word about my statement that prayer is 'natural' for me. It may seem to come to me naturally, but true prayer is supernatural.

I could go on and on, but I hope something I wrote will be helpful to you.

Note about times when the sky seems like brass. When I find I can't enter into fellowship with the God who loves me, I don't force heartless prayer for too long. I take it as the Lord not wanting to spoil me, for I have been granted high priveledges often to be with Him in true fellowship.

Jeremiah 9:23-24
23 Thus saith the Lord, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom,
neither let the mighty man glory in his might,
let not the rich man glory in his riches:
24 But let him that glorieth glory in this,
that he understandeth and knoweth me,
that I am the Lord which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth:
for in these things I delight, saith the Lord.

I seldom do much reading at all. I have the unusual privilege of reading Christian books and studying Scripture as a big part of my daily work, and too often I ignore others to dive into another book. On my day of rest, I typically try to remedy that.

Yesterday, I got up, washed and ate, and headed to church. I did my in-room prep for my Sunday school class, looked over my teaching notes, and joined others for the pre-service prayer meeting. Then the service. Then taught my class. Then hung out with those who were in no hurry to leave.

College kids (including my son) are home for break. My son and my daughter each had a friend they were catching up with after church, so we invited both friends home with us. Leisurely lunch. My daughter's friend is a former student of mine and we keep in touch, and she's having some struggles being away at college, so my wife and I talked with her at length. Then I went with my son to give his friend a ride back home.

The evening was filled by our church small-group study, meeting at our house. That didn't break up until about nine. My wife went to bed. I stayed up for a while talking with my son.

I have had to learn to spend the day investing in others. I am naturally drawn into myself and neglect others, including those in my own house. I love Heidi's comments, as they remind me that caring for one's family is not a hinderance to godly activities but rather a part of them.

I would like to echo Heidi's encouragement with regard to taking care of family (and sometimes, Friends) on the LORD's Day, feeling like one has not had a sabbath well-spent. I would encourage mothers and fathers in such circumstances to press on and not weary in well-doing, believing God's promises to fill you up in His due time, because His promises are never void.

Just because you do not perceive a benefit in going to church - due to the seeming hassle it is to corral children, ensure their good behavior, etc. - does not mean benefits are not occurring. Just as it is in resting on the LORD for our salvation, in areas of obedience and sanctification, we must walk by faith, and not by sight (sense, perception, etc.). We take up the LORD's commands because they are the means He has appointed for sanctification, whether we are able to discern benefit from them or not. We ought be careful not to trust in the means (or the perceived benefit/lack thereof we get from them), but rather in the God Who makes means effectual in His due time, at His good pleasure, and in His way of working, which are the secret things (Deut. 29.29). To us belongs duty, consequences/results are God's.

Keep plugging away at scriptural sabbath observance, as halting, failing, and imperfect as it may seem, knowing that your Father in heaven knows exactly what you need in your sincere attempts at obedience, and will so make them effectual in His perfect timing. Keep training your children in this most blessed duty, and during all the week training them to understand that this one day in seven is different from all the others, one set apart, set aside, for other kinds of work and delectable duties. The LORD has promised the reaping of everlasting life to those who sew in the Spirit and faint not (Gal. 6). This promise is unequivocal and sure, and God's promises are not Nay, but Yea and Amen, in the Beloved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back