Becoming Reformed/Stages/the PB

Becoming Reformed/Stages

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

etexas

Puritan Board Doctor
OK people. I do some fun "silly" polls here, usually when things get tense to break the ice. (A bit like Reagan and the bowl of jelly beans), but this is serious.

Since some of my brethren do not believe that a Calvinist baptist is really Reformed, I chose: "I had strong Reformed leanings when I joined." I am still a baptist but have learned a great deal on the PB.

My stages have been progressive...

Started Dispensational Arminian Immersionist Baptist Fundamentalist Normative Principled

Left Arminianism about 11 years ago.

Left Dispensationalism (Separation of Israel/Church, Rapture) about 4 years ago

Left the Most of Normative Principle of Worship about 4 years ago

Joined Puritanboard.. Following Influences from the Puritanboard and From Church/Pastor Friends...

Left Fundamentalism (No Alcohol, No Tobacco) about 2 years ago

Left Dispensational aspects of the Songs of Zion, Eucharistic Presence, and the Spirit Dwelling within Old Testaments Saints about 2 years ago and the Spirit part 1 year..

Left Immersionism Last 2 Months Ago

Left CredoBaptism This Month

Add in my Theonomy understandings and I believe I can finally say "Truly Reformed" :cool: :lol:

OK people. I do some fun "silly" polls here, usually when things get tense to break the ice. (A bit like Reagan and the bowl of jelly beans), but this is serious.

There are elements that I do not have in my actual poll, if you feel you don't fit snugly into my options please do post and share your experience.:book2:

Started Dispensational Arminian Immersionist Baptist Fundamentalist Normative Principled

Joined Puritanboard.. Following Influences from the Puritanboard and From Church/Pastor Friends...

Left Dispensational aspects of the Songs of Zion, Eucharistic Presence, and the Spirit Dwelling within Old Testaments Saints about 2 years ago and the Spirit part 1 year..

Add in my Theonomy understandings and I believe I can finally say "Truly Reformed" :cool: :lol:

Son, you've been doing a lot of "leaving" over the last several years. Having a commitment problem? :lol:

Your slowly becoming a full blown heretic :lol:

Answer is "A".

I have continued to become firmer in my convictions partly through encouragment from interacting with others on the PB.

According to how most think of the word 'reformed', I think I have become less reformed.

Raised "Baptist".
Did not attend church.
Had a synergenic understanding of Salvation.
Held a strong Deistic view of God and His affairs in the world in order to reconcile Creationism and the evolution I began to accept.
Smoked and drank way too much.

God called me to Himself in June of 2005.
I couldn't tell you when I started to believe almost anything but by the time I got here, I was already Reformed.

:lol:

Yeah Commitment Problems to Error.... :p

Michael

Son, you've been doing a lot of "leaving" over the last several years. Having a commitment problem? :lol:

:think: I don't get it...

I thought I was going in the reverse away from being a Heretic.... :duh:

Your slowly becoming a full blown heretic :lol:

I have continued to become firmer in my convictions partly through encouragment from interacting with others on the PB.

Ditto here. And I thank the Lord for such a community - there's nothing else like it in my experience.

According to how most think of the word 'reformed', I think I have become less reformed.
Curious. What do you mean Brother?:detective:

I think to most 'reformed' means you believe in Calvinism. But I have learned at PB that 'reformed' means strict subscription to the WCF as well as EP and Cessationism. To top it off, I have found that no theonomists of the Bahnsen mold are reformed either. So the more I learn about what it means to be truly 'reformed' the less I realize I am 'reformed'.

I think to most 'reformed' means you believe in Calvinism. But I have learned at PB that 'reformed' means strict subscription to the WCF as well as EP and Cessationism. To top it off, I have found that no theonomists of the Bahnsen mold are reformed either. So the more I learn about what it means to be truly 'reformed' the less I realize I am 'reformed'.

I too have quite the conundrum concerning several of these same points, and thus didn't know where I fit in with the options given in the poll. :um:

Since you say fully reformed and not truly reformed, I checked that one easily. (I'm not Psalm-only). Being here has firmed up my convictions. It makes me think deeper about ideas when I post, because the level of knowledge is greater than the liberal wasteland that I live in.

Serious? Etex, it's a little hard to take anything serious with a picture of funnyman Will Ferrell as your avatar. :offtopic:

[To top it off, I have found that no theonomists of the Bahnsen mold are reformed either.

Theonomy is generally considered an intramural discussion *within* the reformed community.

Serious? Etex, it's a little hard to take anything serious with a picture of funnyman Will Ferrell as your avatar. :offtopic:
:offtopic: Chuckle! Glad you like it! I had my Keith Moon Avatar up a while, and I recently got into a "debate" about Ferrell's time frame while he was on SNL, anyway, I found this picture of him in the white Stetson and about busted a gut, needless to say I decided to grab it as my avatar for a while!:cool: (Back to our Program:):):))

I have learned a wealth of knowledge by means of the PB (books, resourses, comments etc.). I would say it has been one of the greatest factors in taking me from Calvinistic, to confessionally reformed.

Curious. What do you mean Brother?:detective:

Lol, hmmm maybe I am not reformed I just became a "basic" Calvinist!:cool::cool::cool: Shoot, close enough! :p

I too have quite the conundrum concerning several of these same points, and thus didn't know where I fit in with the options given in the poll. :um:
Be nice! I could only give 4 options :lol:, I was trying to be as broad as possible, GASP.....am I running out of creativity OR maybe serious polls are not my thing!:cool:

I had become a paedobaptist and was attending an OPC congregation regularly when I joined here, so it's probably most accurate to answer that I was already Reformed when I got here, even though my convictions have deepened since joining the OPC and participating here. I can't recall having any doctrinal shifts since joining the PB. Of course some would say I have a ways to go, and obviously "fully reformed" here is subjective since some may argue that you can't be "fully reformed" without being EP, subscribing to the original WCF, etc.

Be nice! I could only give 4 options :lol:, I was trying to be as broad as possible, GASP.....am I running out of creativity OR maybe serious polls are not my thing!:cool:

It wasn't my intent to deride your poll, brother.

I was puzzling over the term "FULLY" reformed when I saw Brother Ken's post and it struck a cord with me. I am not EP, nor do I believe in head coverings, but am theonomic, while many of my dear brothers/sisters on the PB are EP, believe in head coverings, and are not theonomic. Are they "fully" reformed? I am sure that they are fully convinced in their consciences and before the Lord that they are, as am I about my particular positions. I am certainly "fully" confessional, as my denomination would define the term. Therefore, I consider myself to be "fully" reformed. Yet I know some of my brothers may not agree with that assessment.

So I guess what I was trying to determine is, "What does FULLY reformed mean?" Is it enough to hold to the doctrines of grace and the RPW (as I understand it)? I certainly don't wish to be overly subjective! So I ask, humbly and with great respect to all my PB brethren, "Can there be a objective definition of 'FULLY' reformed"?

Blessings,

It wasn't my intent to deride your poll, brother.

I was puzzling over the term "FULLY" reformed when I saw Brother Ken's post and it struck a cord with me. I am not EP, nor do I believe in head coverings, but am theonomic, while many of my dear brothers/sisters on the PB are EP, believe in head coverings, and are not theonomic. Are they "fully" reformed? I am sure that they are fully convinced in their consciences and before the Lord that they are, as am I about my particular positions. I am certainly "fully" confessional, as my denomination would define the term. Therefore, I consider myself to be "fully" reformed. Yet I know some of my brothers may not agree with that assessment.

So I guess what I was trying to determine is, "What does FULLY reformed mean?" Is it enough to hold to the doctrines of grace and the RPW (as I understand it)? I certainly don't wish to be overly subjective! So I ask, humbly and with great respect to all my PB brethren, "Can there be a objective definition of 'FULLY' reformed"?

Blessings,
Point taken! I view myself as truly Reformed as I embrace the teachings of Calvin (to the best of my ability) , the Westminster (since I am Presbyterian) The 3 Great Creeds, and RPW (as best as I understand and interpret them.) That is just me being Reformed in a nutshell....:2cents:

When I came here I knew the five points and that was about it. I was steeped in charismatic arminianism before that and didn't know ANYTHING. Between the PB and finally attending our now home church God has brought me a long long way. Here is my first thread and you can see how much of a babe in Christ I was. http://www.puritanboard.com/f15/help-me-out-please-former-evangelical-crisis-375/ You can also see where Sailorswife recommends the church we now attend to me. Thank you Anne!!!

I said fully reformed, but the fact is I believe God is still reforming me, but when I had already sorted through the major reformed doctrines when I joined.

:think: I don't get it...

I thought I was going in the reverse away from being a Heretic.... :duh:

I have been reading a lot of Norm Geisler and David Hunt, and listening to Ergun Caner lately. The list you gave clearly puts you in the heretical category. :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks Josh, you were among those people who welcomed me. It was fun to go back 4 yrs and see who is still active from way back then. I am so amazed at what God did for me. :wow:

When I came here I knew the five points and that was about it. I was steeped in charismatic arminianism before that and didn't know ANYTHING. Between the PB and finally attending our now home church God has brought me a long long way. Here is my first thread and you can see how much of a babe in Christ I was. http://www.puritanboard.com/f15/help-me-out-please-former-evangelical-crisis-375/ You can also see where Sailorswife recommends the church we now attend to me. Thank you Anne!!!
:wow: (read your thread again) :amen: Very encouraging! Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back